R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #1546
Tech Master

Do you really want to use a mechanical speed control? I would suggest that you buy an electronic speed control. You should be able to get one for around $40 from your local hobby shop. You'll save a lot of weight and have much more throttle control with an esc.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:00 PM   #1547
Tech Regular

Default Re: Front belt too tight

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottyP
Coop,

I tried to resolve the problem by shaving the top plate and compressing the chassis. Now all I have is a seriously tweaked car!

Scotty P
Scotty P,

My top plate I ended up countersinking the front & rear screws that eliminated the tweak.

I guess I will have to fiddle (pardon the pun) with it more.

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:52 AM   #1548
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Need some help

Quote:
Originally posted by Tronky
Hi all,

Need some help here, just got myself a TA04r, was happily building away when I realised that there's no space for a msc and another servo.

Thought I was gonna be cheap and use the msc from the other Tamiya I got. So is an esc the only way out or cld I perhaps drill a couple of mounting holes on the graphite deck?

dude i agree with Psycho - don't even bother with the MSC as you will lose a lot of juice due to the inefficiency.

if $ is an issue, try to look at the buy/sell posts and you might pick up a good second hand ESC there, otherwise pick up a futaba MC230 (abt sixty bucks to handle up to 20T) or MC330 (abt 90 bucks to handle higher turn motors if you can find it). alternative is to go to Hobbylink and ask Sam to help you out with the appropriate ESC for your motor.

IMHO, after spending a reasonable amount of $$ on the 04R, an ESC will go a long way to make you happier with your hobby.
PsychoAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:57 AM   #1549
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to BlurKing
Default Re: Need some help

Quote:
Hi all,

Need some help here, just got myself a TA04r, was happily building away when I realised that there's no space for a msc and another servo.

Thought I was gonna be cheap and use the msc from the other Tamiya I got. So is an esc the only way out or cld I perhaps drill a couple of mounting holes on the graphite deck?
Hi dude, there is no space because it wasn't really designed for use with a MSC.

ESC is the best way to go.

Drilling holes, unless you have the right tools, might damage the car as well as affect the balance of it.
BlurKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #1550
Tech Initiate

As suggested, I had gotten myself an esc. One thing abt the TA04r, space's pretty tight. Are you all using any of the micro receivers?

I managed to squeeze my receiver in, but I must say it's really a tight fit. As for the gearing, what are the normal pinions used? I think the stock 5.69 is geared a bit too high for the Tamiya stockers.
Tronky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:13 PM   #1551
Tech Rookie

Mount your receiver on top of the servo and you will have plenty of room....
fat32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:57 PM   #1552
Tech Rookie

Quote:
As suggested, I had gotten myself an esc. One thing abt the TA04r, space's pretty tight. Are you all using any of the micro receivers?

I managed to squeeze my receiver in, but I must say it's really a tight fit. As for the gearing, what are the normal pinions used? I think the stock 5.69 is geared a bit too high for the Tamiya stockers.
I mount my receiver on its side either on the main chassis or on the servo too and i use some small esc's too... like futaba 600 and 800 series... even a novak atom
TA03 Drive Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #1553
Tech Regular

yeah, just mount the receiver on it's side, crystal up, on the left side, same as the esc. Don't put it on the servo because that will cause interference, trust me it's happened to me.
jackhammer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:42 PM   #1554
Tech Elite

Just built a TA04S today, got it cheap with the intention of selling it on new built.

My comments from the build are...

1. Slop and precision are much better than other Tamiya kits I've built and messed with in the past.
2. The way the wishbone mounts are held with one screw makes it hard to get them true and play-free.
3. The top deck didn't want to just drop into place, which was disappointing, but once I'd lined it up with the aid of the screws it all seems straight and strong.
4. The anti-wear grease seems to add a lot of resistance to the drivetrain and suspension movement.
5. The car is way over-engineered, and drivetrain maintenance looks like being a real pain because every part seems to be double up then captured by the chassis lower deck. Suppose they are tough though because I've seen them punished at club races.

Any comments on this?

Also, I'm considering giving it a run at my local track before selling it. My usual car is a Yoke SD, so obviously the Tamiya would seem to be a big step down - but I'm not totally happy with the Yoke's handling. Basically, I need a lot of steering - will this TA04S have that? Part of me thinks that the rearwards weight distribution and the large amount of caster will work against me.

Should I get the electronics in there, or would it be a waste of time?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:24 PM   #1555
Tech Master

sosidge

You didn't say what class you're racing. I raced my 04R in stock last Sunday and it was about a second a lap slower than my XXX-S even though it felt like it had more squirt and looked faster on the straight. I test drove an SD on Sun as well and it felt way more twitchy than the 04R, although I'm not sure what tires my buddy was running. If you're racing mod, I think you should have more steering with the Yok. Stock, I think it's probably got more to do with your driving style.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:25 AM   #1556
Tech Elite

My style tends to demand a lot of steering - most people find that my cars steer too much for them, so while I find the Yoke understeery, other people think it's neutral - I suppose the TA04 won't work for me then!

It's stock class, on a tight, slippy, indoor track.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:01 AM   #1557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 04R Steering

you could get more steering by replacing the c-hubs to 4degrees
PART#SP985
if that is not enough
SQAURE makes aluminum c-hubs for te TBevo3 that will fit the 04r its 5.5 degrees!!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:48 AM   #1558
Tech Master

Adding more caster will slow the steering down, so that's probably not what you want. The turn in will be slower but the turn out will be faster as you add caster. Have you tried stiffening up the rearend to make it come around so you steer with both ends of the car? The 04R is very well balanced and that is how I set my car up. I just lift a bit at the apex and the backend comes around nicely. It's sort of like doing a handbrake turn. I run a front one-way which adds steering as well. On a slippy strack, I would definitely run the car fairly loose and turn in sooner than on a grippy track. This way you sort of drift through the turn. Your laptimes will be better than if you try to run really soft and turn in normally. You could also try adding some droop all around to get more steering. You'll probably want to tame it down with anti-roll bars, though. I run 3mm of droop up front and 5mm in the rear. I measure it as the difference between normal resting ride height and lifting the chassis until the tires lift off the workbench.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:58 AM   #1559
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default psycho

thanks, will try that!!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #1560
Tech Regular

A couple of race weekends ago I was talking with one of the fast guys at my track, we were discussing setups and what not, I complemented him on how hooked up his car was, he told me that he was trying something new, something he'd seen the fast guys at RCO in PA. do with the TA04. He was running white springs in the back and yellow upfront, the best guess he could give me for shock fluid was 60w upfront and 40w rear, it seemed to mee whites would be too stiff in the rear, but he said it works and actually like I said, I saw it work. Has anybody else seen this or tried it?
jackhammer74 is offline   Reply With Quote