R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #1501
Tech Master

Iso

What I do is cut the body and drill the holes before I paint. I like to cut the front wheel wells out and decide where to drill the holes. With tires on teh chassis, I mark the spots for the body post holes, drill them out and mount the body on the car. Either use a pencil compass or pick up one of those circle cutters that work just like a pencil compass, but has a knife blade instead of a pencil. I put the point in the middle of the rear axle and mark a circle around the body and use that as my cut line. The only way you can screw it up that way is if you cut the front wrong to start with. Just make sure and clean out the inside of the body really well before masking and painting or you'll see the oils from your fingers.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:41 PM   #1502
Tech Adept

I cut and drill before I paint as well, I really don't understand the convention of painting first.

My problem lies with the Protoform Stratus though, since the body's guide lines has the wheel base longer than what the Tao4's wheel base is. I was just wondering what everyone does to compensate for that.

Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:08 PM   #1503
Tech Regular

After you cut the front wheel wells, use what was cut off as a template for cutting the rear wells. That's what I do, but then again I use a 414M. I just cut it along the lines.
Aurra Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 04:09 PM   #1504
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F
Default Re: TCS July 13th in Memphis, TN

For those that are attending, go to this site for more information on Hotels Rooms. Get them while they last MSRA TCS HOTEL INFO [/B]

2 weeks away. How's coming?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #1505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default TA04-R wins

I just want to share a Movie of my Final Race Sportsman Stock. Held over the weekend at Camarillo California. This is my 2nd win in the same class and after my 3rd I'm moving up to the next class.
Enjoy!
Click here!
Old 07-02-2003, 10:27 AM   #1506
Tech Master

izzyracer

Cool. congrats
Old 07-02-2003, 01:14 PM   #1507
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi folks,
Got a question about the 04R and maybe even the 04 Pro or TRF. Do you guy's think these 04 chassis are at a dis-advantage against cars like the Evo3 ,Xray or any of the current "popular" race chassis?? I'm thinking about going back to belt drive and the 04 cars always treated me good and were easier to work on compared to my Evo3. Thoughts???
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:29 PM   #1508
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For sheer tunability yes but the TRF takes some of that away and with the plate chassis you could even get some of those things back. Shimming roll center mainly after that wheelbase would be the last main difference.
I have told people that at 90% of the club racing it will be a competitive car the last 10% you will need to go to the EVO or 414.
For $$$ the 04R is still a great deal
Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #1509
Tech Adept

The most bang for the bucks go with the 04R and practice, practice, practice. If the track allows you to run foams try some and see how an 04 really runs.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:53 PM   #1510
Tech Master

Another thing that makes a big difference is the class you intend to run with the car. If you're racing GT3 or stock, the 04 is a good car. I think you might be at a bit of a disadvantage if you plan to race mod. I think it would be hard to get enough steering on the car if you run mod unless you're running foams on carpet. Even then, maybe. I race my 04 in GT3 and it's awesome. I don't think the Evo3 or any other current "race" chassis would have an advantage over it. In stock, my feelings are pretty much the same. I have raced my car in stock quite a bit in the past and it was plenty fast and handled well. I still prefer my XXX-S in stock, but that's mainly because I've been racing stock in it for over 2 years and I know exactly what changes have what effect. At the end of the day, though, I'll go with Difuser and rowdyrj. For club racing, most any "race" chassis car will win races in the right hands. In GT3, I race with a guy that's running an FF01. He's one of the fastest guys out there and most of the rest of us are running 04R's. Granted, he has less rotating mass, but if you consider that the FF01 isn't really a "race" chassis, the 04 should have a much greater advantage.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:15 AM   #1511
Tech Adept

Most people get into trouble when they race is do to the fact that they try to race a person and his car. If you take your time and race the track you will find that you will hit your marks a lot better you can find a spot get around someone on the track and your skills will improve.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:49 AM   #1512
Tech Regular

hi i am looking at getting a new car and i am just woundering how this car compares to the cars with the drive shaft instead of the belt. and is this car competitive?? thanks
Matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #1513
Tech Master

If you're racing at the club level, the TA04R is a good car. Each car has it's own particular handling characteristics. I don't feel that shaft drive alone makes a good car. In my area, a lot of guys race 414's and some of them got Evo3's when they first came out. They aren't any faster with the Evo3. The 414 is arguably the best belt drive car on the market currently, so if shaft drive was that much better, those guys should be faster with the Evo3. Plus, most of the chassis is pretty similar between the two cars. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the "race" chassis cars. I consider the TA04R to be a race chassis car, so I would recommend it if your local hobby shop supports it. You can also race all the sedan classes at TCS with it if you run the tub chassis (GT1, you can use a cf or ssg chassis.) I hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 PM   #1514
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to OHBRAD
Default rollout problem

i have a problem with my TAO4-R, at our track we use foams, and we are all rolling out near 50mm ( 2 inches), problem i have is, as my foam wear down or i have trued them, i can't get the correct gear ratio to acjeive a roll out of 50mm due to the pinion will not mesh up with the spur properly, going larger on the spur doesn't help either.

I have been thinking of cut the slit in the aluminium piece a little longer. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND FOUND A WAY AROUND IT?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:23 PM   #1515
Tech Master

Default Re: rollout problem

I think you may be a bit confused about what rollout means. Don't worry too much about the rollout numbers. They really aren't that important. Make sure all 4 tires are the same diameter and gear your car for the track. As far as the gear mesh goes, I had this problem when I was using 64 pitch gears and trying to gear to the moon for GT3. I ended up going back to the Tamiya 0.4 gears since they are slightly larger in diameter than the same number of teeth in 64 pitch. You didn't say what class you're running, so I'll assume you're running stock. If you are, you should be running the 120T spur with somewhere in the 39T to 45T pinion range depending on your motor and track. 120/39 will work in 64 pitch gears. That's what I ran in my car when I raced it in stock. I hope that helps.