R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kawada in japan does sell blank graphite sheets, 2.1mm thick...
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The tub your planning on replacing looks like it has a bunch of CF stuff already...not sure you'll get much benefit.

I'm also curious to ask if the tub has integrated diff housings or if they can be removed to add to your project.

If they can be swapped, then your best bet is once you have the material (www.dragonplate.com is my favorite) you can just clamp the old tub to your sheet, mark/drill and mount the sheet so it doesn't move and then have at the cutting, grinding and shaping process.

I've also had good success with scanning a tub at full scale and then printing that on a decal sheet to give yourself a template to work around.

As for making tools, I've had good success with mounting a dremel router base attachment to a small table to make yourself a "router table". It has the option to remove the dremel from the base so you can hand grind if needed and gives anice flat area to hand manipulate the chassis template for consistent grinding.

Good luck with your endevour.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
Tech Regular

diff housings come off the only thing that does not come off is the gearbox for the spurgear cover
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboySiR View Post
The tub your planning on replacing looks like it has a bunch of CF stuff already...not sure you'll get much benefit.

I'm also curious to ask if the tub has integrated diff housings or if they can be removed to add to your project.

If they can be swapped, then your best bet is once you have the material (www.dragonplate.com is my favorite) you can just clamp the old tub to your sheet, mark/drill and mount the sheet so it doesn't move and then have at the cutting, grinding and shaping process.

I've also had good success with scanning a tub at full scale and then printing that on a decal sheet to give yourself a template to work around.

As for making tools, I've had good success with mounting a dremel router base attachment to a small table to make yourself a "router table". It has the option to remove the dremel from the base so you can hand grind if needed and gives anice flat area to hand manipulate the chassis template for consistent grinding.

Good luck with your endevour.
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:47 PM   #19
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

im thinking of doing the sc5m ,, there is a carbon chassis available but i dont like the standoff posts..i want to just change the aluminum to carbon fiber...ive done this before..using just a dremel

clamp aluminum chassis to new carbon fiber sheet and use it as a template-jig. usually only takes a hour or more to do one. depending on the complexity of the cuts and holes
1stPlaceAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

A friend of mine cut this chassis for me. All counter sunk holes are done by the cnc machine as well. I can talk to him if any of you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
making carbonfiber chassis-gt500lm06.jpg  
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote