R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10TC car advice please?

Hi guys,
I've just registered on here after several days of browsing the very useful threads
Was just hoping you guys could maybe give me some advice, i'm not that new to 1/10 TC racing, and i think i've got to the point at which my old battered HPI needs to go as it simply isn't competitive in the races i'm now in..
I'm after a new kit (Must, if possible, be a kit, i enjoy building the things almost as much as racing them!) & i believe i've narrowed it down to 2 options, I'm prepared to spend up to about 200 ($320, i see a lot of you guys are in the US!) so i was thinking either a Sakura Zero S, or an Xray T3R.
The T3R is about the most i want to spend, so i'd be running it as it come, but i was thinking the Sakura, as its a lot cheaper could have a few extras bought with it?
What do you guys think? What 'essential' upgrades should i go for with the Sakura? Is it as good as an Xray T3R?
A lot of guys at my local club run Xrays, but i don't mind having to wait for parts to arrive as they are much harder to get hold of for the Sakura, but i can still get them mail order easy enough. I'm not a pro, and if the parts don't arrive in time & i miss a nights racing then i miss the night, no big deal!
I like the idea of the Sakura as i like running something different, but i don't want to buy a worse car for a similar money!
We race 13.5 brushless, on an extremely grippy carpet circuit running Contact foam tyres.
I'm not currently using Lipo, but i most likely will in the not too distant future...
Any advice on set up/gear ratios for these 2 cars would also be appreciated, or maybe there's a car i've missed?
Thanks in advance, and thanks for reading through my rather long first post.
James
James N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you are running foam tires I would go with the Sakura. The T3R chassis is designed for generating traction, and the ideal situation for that car is low-medium grip carpet and asphalt on rubber tires (I own it). I would think the Sakura would be easier to keep stiffened and set up for foam tires, but it is pretty quick on rubber tires, also.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Ok mate, thanks. Some useful advice there. It seems like a lot of people on here rate the Sakura as a decent enough car, and the Zero S seems an absolute bargain!
Thanks again,
James
Old 07-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Buy a used TC5, Mi3, or 09 Xray. All of those are better used then a cheap new sedan.
rustlerboi1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

That is the other option, i also considered a new Mi1, but second hand could be something to look into.
I'd rather buy a new car really, but if something decent comes up 2nd hand i may reconsider.
Cheers
Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James N View Post
That is the other option, i also considered a new Mi1, but second hand could be something to look into.
I'd rather buy a new car really, but if something decent comes up 2nd hand i may reconsider.
Cheers
I'd skip the Mi1. It might be a decent car but I believe it is based on a very old platform. The Sakura and T3 are modern, share a lot of the design of their more expensive brothers and many of the parts are interchangeable. I remember speaking to a guy who had a t3 and a t3r. He said with a couple upgrades (turnbuckles, aluminum diff) he felt the R was just as good a race car for rubber tire on carpet.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you must pick only between these two cars, then the choice is clear: T3 2011 ! It's been a real podium finisher; I have not heard the Sakura getting anything but Zeros. You will have to spend more than $320 in a T3 , but it will be money well spent.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The mi1 does share a lot of components with the mi4. I own and race a mi1, and on carpet it is well up with the t3 '11's and tc6's at our track. Our carpet is low grip (for carpet) and with 45wt and the White springs front and rear, anti roll front and back on 37 front and 32 rears it goes well. It's too stiff for ashfault though. Biggest complaint is the shocks use insert clip spacer thingos for adjusting ride height, rather then threaded shocks. The pro or large bore shocks for the mi4 go straight on but cost about $50/pr. That alone makes it the same cost as a t3r.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just started racing tc at the beginning of the summer with a t3r....it has really held up with all of the 'learning experiences' I've had with most walls on the track. Biggest thing is to build with the adjustable turnbuckles and you've got yourself a pretty good car on a budget!
elee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Lots more useful advice there, thanks everyone. If I go for a used car, I'm thinking of the TC5, and new I'd probably go for the T3R, but it was mentioned the Sakura may be better for foam tyres, which is all I'll be using..
The Sakura does seem extremely cheap & I can't really see much that the T3R has that is missing from it!
Tough decision...
James
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

From what you are saying James I believe that you are not in the US, where do you race? because if you are in Europe (England maybe?) I have a TC5 second converted for Lipo for sale cheap.

Again if you are in EU, you can get parts from HK cheap enough, keeping in mind that the customs might get you on the way.

If you need more info PM me.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Give the Mi1 a look but from the two you have mentioned I'd go for the T3R. Xray have proven themselves over years, you can't go wrong with time.
No longer defined as a Off or On-road racer, but simply a RC enthusiast.
WildManDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Olly, yes mate, I'm in England. The TC5 is definitely my top choice if I go used I think, how much are you after for it? Feel free to send me a message if you prefer.
Used TC5, or new T3R? Which would be the better car? It would be a T3R I'm considering, not the top spec T3. Even the T3R should be a better bet than re Sakura Zero S then?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also consider the cars come with spools up front which may not be the best with foam tires.........
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
Tech Rookie

Really? See, this is where I need advice from you guys as didnt realise that! Which may be best for foams then? Or should I change the front diff?