R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Mod drivers, what turn motor ?

Hi,

Question for mod drivers, how do you know what turn motor to use ? do you use the same turn for all tracks and adjust gearing or do you change motor ? do you have a favorite turn motor you like to use for most tracks, and change for say indoors ?

Cheers.
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Hi,

Question for mod drivers, how do you know what turn motor to use ? do you use the same turn for all tracks and adjust gearing or do you change motor ? do you have a favorite turn motor you like to use for most tracks, and change for say indoors ?

Cheers.
What I do is choose a pretty aggressive motor (7.5-5.5) and then use timing to get more speed if I need it. I'm trying to stay at reasonable costs so I stick with one motor and use what I already have to get more out of it if needed.

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers.
a 10.5 geared properly in most indoor tracks will be very competative maybe even faster than most 5.5's
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It will all depend on your speed control choice. If you choose an esc with adjustable timing, then go with 6.5t to 10.5t ; but if you choose an esc with no timing adjustability, then go with 3.5t to 5.5t . Some people still run none adjustable timing esc's because of cheap running cost, and you do not need a laptop either !!! I have a none adjustable timing esc($99 gtb) with a 3.5t , and I am faster than anyone down the straight; the only combo I have seen, that can be hard to beat, is a 4.5t with full timing boost, but it can only run for four minutes or so in an 8scale track, before dumping the 2s tp5300 65c pack !!! My gtb 3.5t is a lot more efficient, only needing 2200mah after 6minutes, and is just as fast down the straight !!! Adding timing is very hard on the motor/battery/esc........
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Suspended

I forgot to mention that I gear my 3.5t fairly high(8.4fdr), and I can hold the motor in my bare hands forever after running a six minute main......
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
Tech Elite

A 4.5 turn will work in most instances and you can adjust the ESC and gearing for larger or smaller tracks. I typically use a 5.0 as it gives the best overall performance for my driving style.

The best motor for you to run is one that you can control. You need to be able to run consistent lap times without crashing. This could mean a 10.5 for some drivers and a 13.5 for others. Only very good drivers can take advantage of the very fast motors.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I run a 5.5 LRP with a SXX V2 and the power is plenty. I have to turn things down on my local carpet track, but outside the same motor is just as fast as everyone else with some of the speed control options turned up. I think that a 10.5 can be fast, but honestly I have never liked the feel of any of the 10.5 motors. We have found locally that there is not a ton of difference on an indoor track between a 4.5 and a 5.5 with the same settings. I find the 5.5 pretty tame and easy to drive.

Here is a website that a friend of mine hosts that shows what equipment the a-main drivers on running. The list from snow birds and carpet nats might give you a good idea of what people are running.

http://www.rcprogear.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

A recent trend is to use the dynamic timing speedos to get the straightaway speed of a lower turn motor, but the smoother more drivable characteristics of 10 higher turn motor in the infield. Motors in the 3.5 to 5.5 range aren't uncommon, but now 8.5 to 13.5 motors are able to turn competitive times with the right settings in the ESC. As Rock pointed out, it all comes down to driving, so a good practice schedule beats a lower turn motor any day.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Here is a website that a friend of mine hosts that shows what equipment the a-main drivers on running. The list from snow birds and carpet nats might give you a good idea of what people are running.

http://www.rcprogear.com/
Thanks!

I've been running a Thunder Power 5.0 on our carpet track lately with an LRP SXX-SSv2 in blinky mode, and it's been great. I'm adjusting to the timing of how things happen on the track. Now I need to work on controlling weight transfer while I'm driving the car, I'm throwing it around too much.

I'm pretty new at the mod thing, but what I'm finding is that having an ESC with smooth power delivery is by far the most important factor. The LRP and SP/Hobbywing ESC's seem to get this right, which is backed up by the results on RCProGear. I've tried a couple of other brands that are SO bad I can't even drive the car. When you've got that much power, you really can't abide by an ESC that does anything weird.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I'm pretty new at the mod thing, but what I'm finding is that having an ESC with smooth power delivery is by far the most important factor. The LRP and SP/Hobbywing ESC's seem to get this right, which is backed up by the results on RCProGear. I've tried a couple of other brands that are SO bad I can't even drive the car. When you've got that much power, you really can't abide by an ESC that does anything weird.
+1
It's why I love my ORCA vritra vtc mkII. Power delivery is so incredibly smooth and with a 13.5 or higher it's like having built in traction control. So nice to drive.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Thanks!

I've been running a Thunder Power 5.0 on our carpet track lately with an LRP SXX-SSv2 in blinky mode, and it's been great.
That's what speedo I'm currently using with a 13.5t boosted, I've got a SP 5.5t which to try with it in blinky, although I haven't driven it yet, it does sound slow though
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
That's what speedo I'm currently using with a 13.5t boosted, I've got a SP 5.5t which to try with it in blinky, although I haven't driven it yet, it does sound slow though
Unloaded mod motors will sound slow without boost because the ESC isn't ramping up the RPMs. Pay no mind to that. When you put the 5.5 on the track, though, it will rip like hell, and it will rip everywhere, not just half way down the straight like the boosted 13.5.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

+1 @ Rick's post

Consistent lap times is the name of the game. Start off slower and teach your trigger finger to be smooth. Proper gearing, speed control and radio set up makes a difference. I've been asked several times to drive others mod cars and instantly could say that something was out of whack. If you have doubts about your set up just ask a mod driver for some help. A proper set up makes a huge difference...

My personal car I've been running a 5.0 indoors and out. Gearing's been about the same I've just added a little boost for larger outdoor tracks.
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Higher turn is more efficient but less speed/power, at least it's this way for the conventional brushed motor.

I tried various brushless motors, it all depending on track size and driving style too. If cost is an issue, go with brushless esc w/o timing & boost.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

LRP 5.0 is one of the best route to go LRP (for club drivers) because you can control temperatures a little better and control the power they have a lot better. (trigger control) The high timing in the LRP's cause them to have a rather brutal power band. 5.5 is also another choice.

Thunderpower/Reedy it seems that the talk is 4.0-5.0 winds. You have better throttle control? 4.0. Have less throttle control, and want easy smooth more consistent laps? 5.0. And everything in between and around.

Speedpassion, a lot of drivers run 3.5's-4.5 due to the the larger rotor/stator air gap and resulting lack of punch and power.

Silver Can Duo 4.5 I have has a weird feel, does not drive very well. I mean it works, but its an odd duck. I like my LRP 5.0 the best of the motors ive ran, but I have not run lately, and never have any practice anyway. I have more motors waiting to run, just no carbon for my new car (Come on Smokem's manufactures!)

I used to run a 6.5, it was okay, but you really need timing boost. That is the safest route for anybody to get into mod and make laps. Some of us are good enough, or stupid enough (in my case) to have fun messing with low winds and seeing what happens.