R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI sprint 2 drift set up

Greetings,
I was wondering if anyone can give me some drift set up info for my sprint 2. I am planning to install the sway bar but not sure which one will fit...thanks
mnr3.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

It drifts just fine stock but what I do recommend upgrading is the spur gear mount. When I changed motors on mine, the first thing that happened was the increased torque chewed it up. I also changed the front dog bones to the universal ones because you'll notice soon enough that when the knuckles start popping off, you'll probably lose a dog bone or two. It doesn't really happen to the rear so I didn't change those. Other than that, I wouldn't really change much on the car. The less you spend on it, the more money you'll have to buy a better chassis.

And FYI, I'm not an "expert" drifter or anything. I'm just a beginner but I wanted to share with you my experience so far hoping maybe you could benefit from it.
Seanzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
I also changed the front dog bones to the universal ones because you'll notice soon enough that when the knuckles start popping off, you'll probably lose a dog bone or two.
Old off road tip that may help if you're limited on funds...paint your dogbones a bright color like neon-orange. Before CVDs and Universals this was a huge problem in off road rc and guys use to do this so when they threw a bone they could have a much easier time finding it.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Do not get a swaybar it will make things more difficult. Get a front one way, a locked rear diff (spool) and a fast servo, some drift tires and your all set.

O and metal spur gear mount like was mentioned, there only like $5.
I drift at CHANCE CIRCUIT!!!!! And SPEEDWAYPAL!!!
I live in japan pm me if you need something hard to find, I'm paypal verified!
Jdmpurest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Old off road tip that may help if you're limited on funds...paint your dogbones a bright color like neon-orange. Before CVDs and Universals this was a huge problem in off road rc and guys use to do this so when they threw a bone they could have a much easier time finding it.
Ah! Good tip. I should have done this, but it's probably better that I upgraded anyway because mine was getting chewed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmpurest View Post
Do not get a swaybar it will make things more difficult. Get a front one way, a locked rear diff (spool) and a fast servo, some drift tires and your all set.
I forgot to add that I also upgraded my servo to a 645MG. So, OP, think about doing that too.
Seanzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Yea try to get the fastest servo you can for your budget. Under the specs look for something as close as possible to .10 at 6V. Dont pay attention to High torque, you want High speed. Try to get it Digital if you can as well, depending on what transmitter your using it will allow you to run in a higher response mode like Futaba's. I have a .010 at 6v servo running in HPM mode on a Futaba FASST TRX. Its not a big deal if you cant get one digital but if the price is good dont hesitate.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Yea try to get the fastest servo you can for your budget. Under the specs look for something as close as possible to .10 at 6V. Dont pay attention to High torque, you want High speed. Try to get it Digital if you can as well, depending on what transmitter your using it will allow you to run in a higher response mode like Futaba's. I have a .010 at 6v servo running in HPM mode on a Futaba FASST TRX. Its not a big deal if you cant get one digital but if the price is good dont hesitate.
Most important thing for drifting by far is good response, both throtle and steering. Otherwise no matter how good your setup is you wont do much

*coming from a guy that drifts a old nitro rs4 with some of the slowest servos known to mankind.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb525 View Post
Most important thing for drifting by far is good response, both throtle and steering. Otherwise no matter how good your setup is you wont do much

*coming from a guy that drifts a old nitro rs4 with some of the slowest servos known to mankind.
Yea I was thinking countersteer drifting, if hes just doing a regular balanced AWD setup then a fast servo doesnt matter, like in your case.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Yea I was thinking countersteer drifting, if hes just doing a regular balanced AWD setup then a fast servo doesnt matter, like in your case.
in my case a faster servo would help. Honestly it is always of help but only if you know how to use it.
kb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI sprint 2 drift set up

Thank you all for the swift reply, I am indeed very grateful...

What about the set up on the suspension, camber, toe in or out, droop and balancing, tweaking and set up board....I read about those stuffs and found it quite interesting...

Bought the car used and it 'drift' just want to make it more manageable without spending so much...Thanks again all for the recommendation....
mnr3.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnr3.3 View Post
Thank you all for the swift reply, I am indeed very grateful...

What about the set up on the suspension, camber, toe in or out, droop and balancing, tweaking and set up board....I read about those stuffs and found it quite interesting...

Bought the car used and it 'drift' just want to make it more manageable without spending so much...Thanks again all for the recommendation....
i just learned from onroad tc people. i would read set up guides from those guys then i would know how to dial in more understeer or oversteer. there is really no cookie cutter settings to give you every set up is different. tires is a pretty big thing your setup will be very different based on tires. like i run Yokomo zero 1R tires for carpet and asphalt. zero1's have a inner rubber lip that allow you to get more grip out of the tire the more negative camber you dial in. with Tdrifts more neg camber reduces grip. CS drifting requires completly different. So my advice is practice with the car then figure out what makes it hard to drive like if it spins out too easy on transisitions go read a setup guide on how to tune in more rear wheel grip. thats an example. thats how i learned drift setup.

There's also this guide on DRCCentral.
http://www.drccentral.com/forums/ind...=0#entry155508

Last edited by Jdmpurest; 07-12-2011 at 12:58 PM.