Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it? >

New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Looking forward to it.... Thanks !
Old 09-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? If I buy app today, will it upgrade automatically when Ipad version is released?

Thanks
Dean.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default New Version of Setup Workbench

Hi,

I regret to inform you that I am not able to provide this update to the old app, because of some technical issues with the app store submission process, that I have to say is very frustrating. I submitted an update to the old app, and realized there was a small mistake in the code, so I cancelled that update and then tried to do another update and this is where the problems started.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to submit another update to the original app. It is so frustrating because I have been able to make updates before, but I think there is a bug in the app store when you cancel an update and then try to do another one.

So I am only left with the option of creating a brand new app in the app store. So I am trying to decide the best way to handle this for those that have already purchased the app. Certainly I don't want those who have purchased the app to have to buy it again, but I also can't just put it up for free either. So the best compromise I can come up with is to have a 1 week period where the price of the new app will be $2.99 so that those who have purchased the app before can for very little money get the setup module, and those that have not yet purchased the app, have the opportunity to get a great deal on the app.

As for the iPad version, it too needs to be a brand new app for the same reason. I will also set the price on that to $2.99 for one week.

I hope this is a good overall solution for most of you, but I realize that some will not like this solution....but it is the best compromise I could think of.

Cheers.

Martin.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What's your time frame for doing this? Is this just for Apple or Android as well?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Write to Apple about your situation - they must be able to do something. Your app is great, but I am not buying it again just because of an update.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

You can get that resolved via apple. I had a similar situation before. You just need to contact them it took me less than a day to resolve it.

The other solution isn't ideal, especially for us early adopters who paid full whack and now have a version that won't be updated. I would sort the issue out before penalising the early adopters.

What package are you using to write the code? Its normally pretty easy to put both the iPad and iPod versions in your exe.

Pm me if you want

Last edited by Qatmix; 09-27-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Hi Martin,

Considering I just bought this app yesterday (one of the most expensive I have bought ever) I would not be too pleased to pay another $2.99. Like the others have said you should be able to get it resolved with Apple.

If not, I will request a refund via Apple, and then order again once it is resolved.

Thanks
Dean.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Workbench app

Whats the link or name of the new version $2.99
Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Martin,

Will this affect the Android version? Will the Android version get the update?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

I would also not be in favor of your proposed solution.

Obviously when we bought the app we were expecting ongoing updates, as was expressly promised , and knowing there was more to come and helping you with some spelling issues. This is not unreasonable expectation given the price tag.

What's to stop the 2,99 version not going the same route in the future ?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Hi,

I regret to inform you that I am not able to provide this update to the old app, because of some technical issues with the app store submission process, that I have to say is very frustrating. I submitted an update to the old app, and realized there was a small mistake in the code, so I cancelled that update and then tried to do another update and this is where the problems started.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to submit another update to the original app. It is so frustrating because I have been able to make updates before, but I think there is a bug in the app store when you cancel an update and then try to do another one.

So I am only left with the option of creating a brand new app in the app store. So I am trying to decide the best way to handle this for those that have already purchased the app. Certainly I don't want those who have purchased the app to have to buy it again, but I also can't just put it up for free either. So the best compromise I can come up with is to have a 1 week period where the price of the new app will be $2.99 so that those who have purchased the app before can for very little money get the setup module, and those that have not yet purchased the app, have the opportunity to get a great deal on the app.

As for the iPad version, it too needs to be a brand new app for the same reason. I will also set the price on that to $2.99 for one week.

I hope this is a good overall solution for most of you, but I realize that some will not like this solution....but it is the best compromise I could think of.

Cheers.

Martin.
Don't worry Martin, sounds like a good solution, and for I'm sure will help generate some more interest in the app. I'll be downloading the update soon as it's available!

Thanks
Ed
Old 09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It's $2.99 people! It's not $299.00. Geez!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Robertcooper88
It's $2.99 people! It's not $299.00. Geez!
Actually it's closer to 10 if you include the app bought already.

But more than that , at least for me , I bought it knowing it's not the final version ( based on the comments from Martin ) and expected updates as we go along.

In theory this could be 2,99 every update - I mean there can be Apple errors every time you submit.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sorry want to subscribe to thread but dont know how without posting, looking forward to updated ipad friendly version
Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default update

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the feedback. I certainly don't want to charge those that have already bought the app money for each new version. Actually I was able to successfully update the app before from version 1 to version 1.01, but this last update (1.1) ran in to the roadblock I mentioned above.

Having said that, there are many apps out there that do charge for different versions of their app, with angry birds being one of them for example. It's the same game, just with a different background or scene. I just mention this to put in perspective that you should not expect developers to keep providing free updates to their apps for ever.

To be clear, it was my intention to include this update which includes the ability to store setups for your chassis and for your esc within the app, as a free upgrade to those that have already purchased the app. However given the technical issues I am facing with apple, I currently have no other options but to create a separate app on the app store.

Just so you are aware, I have written apple about the issue, and they have responded with a generic email asking for more information...which I have provided to them. I truly hope that this technical issue can be resolved and I can just proceed with the update I originally planned on providing, so that I don't have to charge those who have purchased the app for this new version.

For those that asked about the tools I am using, I am using Appcelerator Titanium to develop the app, which allows me to write the app in javascript/html and css3, which then gets compiled for the most part into objective C within the XCODE dev environment, where it is compiled and packaged. That tool does not allow me to create a single binary that works for both iPad and for iPhone, like it is supposed to. When I try to do that, it fails the validation process of submission to the app store. I have done a lot of research into ways to fix that issue, but none have worked, which is why I have created a separate version of my app called Setup Workbench HD, not unlike a lot of other apps out there.

As for the Android version, I have been trying to get that up an running, but have run into some capability issues with my code and the android device, preventing the actual storing of the setups on the device. I will continue to work on solving that problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.