R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #76
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Shock build + APP

Thanks for the shock tip and the build procedure. Going to give it a try. What you are saying rebound with counter act the magnitude of the spring? changing its assigned rate?

Thanks again for the app.I have both the book and it was a no brainer to buy the app.. I like the fact I can read the app when I am out on the go and have a few minutes to spare.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts71m View Post
Downloaded the APP last weekend, really enjoying it..Thanks Martin..
Excellent!!! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleader_99 View Post
Thanks for the shock tip and the build procedure. Going to give it a try. What you are saying rebound with counter act the magnitude of the spring? changing its assigned rate?

Thanks again for the app.I have both the book and it was a no brainer to buy the app.. I like the fact I can read the app when I am out on the go and have a few minutes to spare.
I am not sure I completely understand your question, but let me try to clarify some things. The spring rate is not really affected the shock oil. The purpose of the shock oil is to slow down the rate at which the spring compresses and the rate and which the spring expands. Does that help?

Yeah...I like having the app at the track as well!

Cheers.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation FWD set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Excellent!!! Thank you.

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but let me try to clarify some things. The spring rate is not really affected the shock oil. The purpose of the shock oil is to slow down the rate at which the spring compresses and the rate and which the spring expands. Does that help?

Yeah...I like having the app at the track as well!

Cheers.
Martin,
Congrats on the APP. I purchased your book at least 7 years ago and still have it . The pages are looking a little worn but I still use it!
Question,
I know your a past TCS Champion and here in Aliso Viejo I'm sure you know we run a lot of FWD's out here so would your set-up guide include mini and FF03?
Seems to me FWD is a little different animal when it comes to set-up but if you can clue me in on being able to use your set-up book as it applys to these two classes I would be extremelly greatful!
Thanks in advance!
Max
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Any plans for porting setup workbench to windows platform? I'd like to add it to my netbook's suite of programs, alongside hotwire and the hyperion charger software.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #80
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Shocks

Thanks for the help.. I go it now.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Any plans for porting setup workbench to windows platform? I'd like to add it to my netbook's suite of programs, alongside hotwire and the hyperion charger software.
Porting the app to windows desktop is not hard, however I have not found an online market place that would allow me to sell my app for windows and also prevent copying of it, like the app store does for the iphone/ipad etc. I am looking into building my own solution to provide method of preventing the copying, but it will take time and effort to build it. So the short answer is, not in the short term, but hopefully eventually I will be able to provide it as a windows app. In fact I have already ported the actual app to Windows desktop and the MacOS desktop, it is the whole commerce transaction and preventing copying that I need to figure out next. I know when I wrote my book 10 years ago I originally sold it as a pdf file, and it was very quickly copied. In fact I caught someone trying to sell 5 copies of it on ebay. So I hope you understand why I need to figure out a solution to prevent copying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zleader_99 View Post
Thanks for the help.. I go it now.
no problem...feel free to ask me more questions

Cheers
Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where's my autographed version?

duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #83
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Martin,

Just found one omission, I think (may be blind), but I can't find any reference to arm shock position... I'm sure I remember chapter in the book relating to that. If it's there.. point me in the right direction please
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post
Where's my autographed version?

lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Hi Martin,

Just found one omission, I think (may be blind), but I can't find any reference to arm shock position... I'm sure I remember chapter in the book relating to that. If it's there.. point me in the right direction please
on the home screen click on "chassis settings explained", then click on "shock position". I think that is what you are looking for as I talk about laid down versus stood up shocks, but I don't specifically talk about how moving shock positions outward makes the suspension harder and how moving them inward makes them softer...that is an omission on my part.

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #85
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
on the home screen click on "chassis settings explained", then click on "shock position". I think that is what you are looking for as I talk about laid down versus stood up shocks, but I don't specifically talk about how moving shock positions outward makes the suspension harder and how moving them inward makes them softer...that is an omission on my part.

Cheers.
Martin,
Any replay on my post about FWD set-up and how it applys to your book or app. I value you opinion and I would appreciate any input!!
Thanks in advance
Max
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Martin,
Any replay on my post about FWD set-up and how it applys to your book or app. I value you opinion and I would appreciate any input!!
Thanks in advance
Max
All the principles are the same, but you need to factor in the design differences witha FWD car which from what I can see, has a lot more weight over the front tires than the 4wd cars and I believe they don't have rear diffs.

I have not driven them, but I suspect that with the above mentioned differences the cars likely push going into a corner but may have a tendency snap oversteer in the middle of tight low radius corners....but that is just a guess. My thinking is that as the car slows down in a tight corner, and you start to get on the power the back will be too unweighted and the front will be pulling the car out of the corner causing an snap oversteer....again just a guess.

To counter that I think you need to have a fairly soft rear spring and light shock oil, with a thicker and harder spring in the front.

I would also try a thick swaybar and no sway bar up front to see which approach makes the mid corner and corner exit more smooth (again assuming I am correct about the snap oversteer).

I think you will want an average amount of droop in both front and rear.

Cheers,
Martin.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #87
Tech Master

Exclamation TCS RACING

Quote:
All the principles are the same, but you need to factor in the design differences witha FWD car which from what I can see, has a lot more weight over the front tires than the 4wd cars and I believe they don't have rear diffs.

I have not driven them, but I suspect that with the above mentioned differences the cars likely push going into a corner but may have a tendency snap oversteer in the middle of tight low radius corners....but that is just a guess. My thinking is that as the car slows down in a tight corner, and you start to get on the power the back will be too unweighted and the front will be pulling the car out of the corner causing an snap oversteer....again just a guess.

To counter that I think you need to have a fairly soft rear spring and light shock oil, with a thicker and harder spring in the front.

I would also try a thick swaybar and no sway bar up front to see which approach makes the mid corner and corner exit more smooth (again assuming I am correct about the snap oversteer).

I think you will want an average amount of droop in both front and rear.

Cheers,
Martin.
Thanks Martin for your insight, you are a 100% correct, the car pushes coming in and does oversteer coming out and then to make matters worse we have to use FWD bodies which have no real wing to speak of which I think amplifies the problem even more.
I will try to utilize this information. FWD racing here is very close 5 tenths could mean the difference between 1ST and 10th place. This is not for the faint of heart even though the speeds might say otherwise!
If you have an opportunity to try and race an FF03 you should they are a blast.
You know, for the Nationals here in Aliso Viejo we have the Past Champ race which is the FF03. If you are able to make it down here I would be honored for you to drive my car. I'll provide everything, all you would have to do is drive. Here in Aliso Rod Canare is the man to beat and I think you could probably give him a run we may never forget!
Thanks again!
Max

Last edited by maxepower; 08-13-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #88
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Thanks Martin for your insight, you are a 100% correct, the car pushes coming in and does oversteer coming out and then to make matters worse we have to use FWD bodies which have no real wing to speak of which I think amplifies the problem even more.
I will try to utilize this information. FWD racing here is very close 5 tenths could mean the difference between 1ST and 10th place. This is not for the faint of heart even though the speeds might say otherwise!
If you have an opportunity to try and race an FF03 you should they are a blast.
You know, for the Nationals here in Aliso Viejo we have the Past Champ race which is the FF03. If you are able to make it down here I would be honored for you to drive my car. I'll provide everything, all you would have to do is drive. Here in Aliso Rod Canare is the man to beat and I think you could probably give him a run we may never forget!
Thanks again!
Max
Hey Max....thanks for the offer....when is the race? I think I am on vacation with my wife at that time, but not sure.

Cheers.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Left Front Tire

I'm assuming this information correlates to all types of cars, assuming they have 4 wheel independant suspension?
Left Front Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #90
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Front Tire View Post
I'm assuming this information correlates to all types of cars, assuming they have 4 wheel independant suspension?
From the XXX Main book, and now the app, I've found that the info is generally applicable to any 4 wheel independent suspension RC, but obviously specifically applicable to AWD TC's on carpet or asphalt.

There's some situations I've found where the info could be counter-productive [such as an inconsistent off-road track, rutted and blown out in some areas, blue groove in others; and paved or dirt TC oval], not due to any error, but because of the drastic tuning differences of the specific discipline [off-road- optimizing for a certain section of the track and trying not to lose too much time in other areas; Oval- different spring rates at each corner of the car, purposeful tweak (aka cross weight), different left/right suspension geometries, positive camber on the left, split caster settings, etc].