R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #286
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess thats the wonderful thing about the internet and rctech.

what isnt in the app, I can come on here and ask and get all the help i need 8)

ed
Edwin Pibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #287
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
lol...yeah...I know there are too many typos in the app Believe it or not, I used spell check and had other read it...but still there remains too many typos

Bump steer is certainly something I will add in the future.

I think a section talking about how to approach low and high grip tracks is also a good idea for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.
That's an awesome idea for low grip and high grip approach. The app has been alot of help. Well worth having on your phone.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #288
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW141 View Post
That's an awesome idea for low grip and high grip approach. The app has been alot of help. Well worth having on your phone.

For high grip, most including myself run a lower roll center with slightly harder springs, and for low grip, run slightly softer springs with a slightly higher roll center, but the differences are not huge and need to be tailored to the tracks you are running. To confuse you, on an extremely high grip track where I start to traction roll I will go down on the spring rate, but keep the low roll center. I do this to cause the chassis to rub on the carpet taking away lateral grip, and also having the side effect of keeping the cg lower. This helps reduce the chances of traction rolling.

Examples for my serpent S411...

...considering the serpent springs are...
- Spring white 13 lbs
- Spring grey 14.8 lbs
- Spring yellow 16 lbs
- Spring black 16.5 lbs
- Spring orange 19.5 lbs

On a high grip track I might run grey rears and black fronts with 0.5 mm shims under the hinge pin blocks, 5mm inboard upper links shims in the front, along with 4mm inboard upper link shims in the rear and 3mm outboard upper link shims in the rear.

For a lower grip track, I might run 1mm less shims on the inboard upper links both front and rear, and run a white spring in the rear and a yellow spring in the front.

For an extremely high grip track I might run the same roll centers as first example above (high grip track) but go with the same springs as example 2 (lower grip track)

Cheers.
Martin.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #289
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Hey Guys

thanks for the interest in the app. I was initially going to just migrate the info from my book but in the end I decided to redo all thw content and also add a lot of new content some setup tools as well as news feeds from popular rc sites.

Here is a link to the app in the app store
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/setup...9086?ls=1&mt=8

and here is a link to the app in the android market
https://market.android.com/search?q=...ch&so=1&c=apps

Cheers
Hey Martin,

When I got to the link... it says its not availble in the US???
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #290
Tech Addict

Never mind! got it thank you...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #291
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

any new update ?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #292
Con
Tech Adept

Martin no longer races RC. I'm not sure he is maintaining the app
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #293
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Martin how about an update to fix all the contradictions and mistakes in your app for eg. quite often the summary section might say stiff rear spring for push on power and under springs explained it says refer to loose off power which suggests softer rear spring. This app is full of errors and unless you have half a clue as to how suspension changes work it would be useless because it contradicts itself far too often, very dissappointed with this app is xxxmain book any better?
thefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #294
Suspended

very nice thanks for sharing

Don't Worry Be Happy..
brett546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #295
Tech Fanatic

Can you add center diff to the setup sheet. I use your program for my 1/8th buggy.
Matthew Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #296
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefan View Post
Hey Martin how about an update to fix all the contradictions and mistakes in your app for eg. quite often the summary section might say stiff rear spring for push on power and under springs explained it says refer to loose off power which suggests softer rear spring. This app is full of errors and unless you have half a clue as to how suspension changes work it would be useless because it contradicts itself far too often, very dissappointed with this app is xxxmain book any better?
No offense, but you might want to check what your reading. I've got the app open in front of me, and for the examples you give regarding springs, it's spot on, both in the explained and summary section.
You actually contradict yourself in your post, as you refer to push on power vs loose off power... two different handling conditions that require different changes to solve.

Personally, the app does a very good job of explaining was is a difficult subject (setup), and how different settings affect the car. However, it is still a complex subject, and you need to be careful and make sure you get the terminology right.

The XXX Main book is by Martin as well, and is a good compliment to the app.

Regards
eEd
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #297
Suspended

Good read here....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #298
Suspended

I run 100 to 150grams more on the right side of my car than the left... It seems to give me an advantage turning right, and since the left turns are slow anyway, wouldn't that be better theoretically than a balanced car side to side ? If you apply the tire load equalization theory, of course...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #299
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
No offense, but you might want to check what your reading. I've got the app open in front of me, and for the examples you give regarding springs, it's spot on, both in the explained and summary section.
You actually contradict yourself in your post, as you refer to push on power vs loose off power... two different handling conditions that require different changes to solve.

Personally, the app does a very good job of explaining was is a difficult subject (setup), and how different settings affect the car. However, it is still a complex subject, and you need to be careful and make sure you get the terminology right.

The XXX Main book is by Martin as well, and is a good compliment to the app.

Regards
eEd
Go to chassis settings explained go to springs and read under push on power and it refers you to same setting as loose off power but rear spring has more effect etc...i think it should read refer to push off power so its either a contradiction or a typo, if so then thee are many more
Old 12-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #300
Tech Adept

While your at it checkout swaybars under push on power, chassis settings explained says to do the opposite of what the summary tells you to do hmm another typo, shock position same thing again shall i go on