Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it? >

New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal
Hi Martin

thank you for the reply thats plenty to try thanks!, i plan on getting a iPhone sooner than later.

a silly question about the roll centres if i may.

the tc6 link mounts are like this x = mounts on the shock tower

xx xx x x xx xx
xx xx
xx xx

currently mine are set like this 0 = where ball joints are

x0 x0 x x 0x 0x
xx xx
xx xx

when you say raise the roll centres where would i go too ? the inter outer top hole ? till now i have been useing the inner most long link and have liked it, but for these tires it doesnt work

or should i shart by bringing the bottom suspention arm mount up abit ?

thanks for your time

Ed

ps, feel free to come over to New Zealand! we would love to have you here!
Don't mean to interject, BUT.....

For low bite, try 3* rear toe-in and run 1B rear arm blocks. I've tried this a couple of times and it keeps the back end very stuck..... I like 0B front arm blocks with this. I also run the rear link at 3A, with silver ballstud and 1mm shim under it. Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Don't mean to interject, BUT.....

For low bite, try 3* rear toe-in and run 1B rear arm blocks. I've tried this a couple of times and it keeps the back end very stuck..... I like 0B front arm blocks with this. I also run the rear link at 3A, with silver ballstud and 1mm shim under it. Hope this helps!
thank you!

ill give it a shot too.

what camber do you run -1.5ish and do you run the long links up frount or the short ones there too ?

thanks again

ed

Last edited by Edwin Pibal; 01-27-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: must learn to spell
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Short links front and rear, wound up at -1.0 camber all around!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Martin,

Question time for you... what are your thoughts on how shock position affects damping rate?

Now, I know that moving the postions out on the arms effectively stiffens the shock up in terms of spring rate, so I am assuming it has a similar affect on damping rate as well... in effect making a damper that is mounted further out on an arm have a heavier oil.. is this right, or is damping rate not so affected, being as it is more to do with rate of change (how fast the piston moves) than anything else?

Be interested to hear your thoughts, I'm trying to figure something out for my new car..

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Martin,

Question time for you... what are your thoughts on how shock position affects damping rate?

Now, I know that moving the postions out on the arms effectively stiffens the shock up in terms of spring rate, so I am assuming it has a similar affect on damping rate as well... in effect making a damper that is mounted further out on an arm have a heavier oil.. is this right, or is damping rate not so affected, being as it is more to do with rate of change (how fast the piston moves) than anything else?

Be interested to hear your thoughts, I'm trying to figure something out for my new car..

Cheers
Ed
Hi Ed,
Interesting question. I am fairly certain that the angle of the shocks in no way affects the dampening rate like it does affect the effective spring rate.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Hi Ed,
Interesting question. I am fairly certain that the angle of the shocks in no way affects the dampening rate like it does affect the effective spring rate.

I hope that helps.
Hi Martin,

Thats what I was thinking as well, but then talked myself into it as the piston is connected to the shaft, which is attached to the arm... so moving the position could change the rate the piston moves through the oil... i.e. further out, moves slower, so can run softer oil... maybe...

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Martin,

Thats what I was thinking as well, but then talked myself into it as the piston is connected to the shaft, which is attached to the arm... so moving the position could change the rate the piston moves through the oil... i.e. further out, moves slower, so can run softer oil... maybe...

Cheers
Ed
Actually it doesn't matter what the angle of the shock is with respect to the damping. The oil is resisting the motion of the piston and it's constant throughout the piston travel. The springs on the other hand do increase resistance the more you compress them. Jim
Old 02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Short links front and rear, wound up at -1.0 camber all around!
tried this at our Nationals this past weekend and yeap!, it worked a treat

it was the nut behind the wheel and the the expireing motor that hampered me.

so thank you for shareing that setup info with me

Ed
Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edwin Pibal
tried this at our Nationals this past weekend and yeap!, it worked a treat

it was the nut behind the wheel and the the expireing motor that hampered me.

so thank you for shareing that setup info with me

Ed

good stuff....well except for the expiring motor

I know what you mean about the nut behind the wheel...I felt that way after a couple of runs at the snowbirds last week. Also I took a gamble on my a main setup that made the car worse....I will have to fire my mechanic
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
good stuff....well except for the expiring motor

I know what you mean about the nut behind the wheel...I felt that way after a couple of runs at the snowbirds last week. Also I took a gamble on my a main setup that made the car worse....I will have to fire my mechanic
Send your Mechanic to New Zealand!

sounds like he needs a racing holiday
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Martin, on shocks and angles. Ive got the S411 and im unhappy with the wear on the shock ends with my soft Sorex rims rubbing excessively under a flexed load. I have the shocks outside hole on the arm and position 5 on the tower. Could you suggest a similar position on the tower if i have the inner hole on the arm used. Springs currently are Orange front, yellow rear with 550cst front and 450cst rear oil. I have the black and grey springs but im waiting for the green to come in stock here before i try them as it has been suggested to run green/grey on asphalt.

Regards Benzaah.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Martin, on shocks and angles. Ive got the S411 and im unhappy with the wear on the shock ends with my soft Sorex rims rubbing excessively under a flexed load. I have the shocks outside hole on the arm and position 5 on the tower. Could you suggest a similar position on the tower if i have the inner hole on the arm used. Springs currently are Orange front, yellow rear with 550cst front and 450cst rear oil. I have the black and grey springs but im waiting for the green to come in stock here before i try them as it has been suggested to run green/grey on asphalt.

Regards Benzaah.
If you go in one hole on the arm, try going to hole 6 on the tower as a first step. An alternative approach would be to keep it in hole 5 and then lay down the front shocks one holed on the tower. I currently use hole 4 on the tower and the inside hole on the rear arm when using grey springs front and rear, with the front using the outside hole on the arm and position 3 on the tower.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

just in case you are interested in a post I just made on the serpent thread about setup. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post10329274
Old 02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Martin.

Can you think about adding a section on Bump Steer in future revisions?

Is there some way that some of the settings can be explained with how they react to low or high grip etc.

Hmm there's no easy way to put this, err, but perhaps, hmm, the use of a spell checker as well

Skiddins
Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Hi Martin.

Can you think about adding a section on Bump Steer in future revisions?

Is there some way that some of the settings can be explained with how they react to low or high grip etc.

Hmm there's no easy way to put this, err, but perhaps, hmm, the use of a spell checker as well

Skiddins

lol...yeah...I know there are too many typos in the app Believe it or not, I used spell check and had other read it...but still there remains too many typos

Bump steer is certainly something I will add in the future.

I think a section talking about how to approach low and high grip tracks is also a good idea for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.