R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #211
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
sorry to hear that.... I actually really like the windows phone 7. I think the user experience is great....it' just too bad there are not as many apps for it. I have been thinking about making my app available on the windows phone, but I fear it will be a lot of work for only a few people. As it is event he android sells so little that it was really not worth the time to create it.
I have an android and I really thank you for taking the time to do it. As you can tell by my post above, I really needed your help.

1airborne
Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #212
Tech Regular

Quote:
Actually, although that is a common answer,...not really...as the the swaybar takes away load on the inside tire and adds load to the outside tire.
I could be wrong (read as probably wrong) but I always thought that the reason you added sway bars was to give you more resistance to weight transfer left to right without affecting weight transfer front to back. The point of this was to improve the car's transitioning response...it snaps from left to right quicker.

Do I get a gold star Prof Martin? LOL

Oh, and Martin, I am a very greatful Android user. LOL

Last edited by Robotech; 12-22-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #213
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
You got it!!! In other words the greater the difference in load between the inside and outside tire, the less lateral grip you will get.

So then the next questions is....why would we run swaybars, if they reduce lateral grip?
There are several reasons

1. Because grip and handling are somewhat mutually exclusive. Running no sway bar with increased lateral grip results in less reponse/handling and less stability. Whilst having increased grip provides more mid corner speed the opposite is true of corner entry & exit thence this can result in slower lap times. Ie with sway bars there is less body roll, more stability, faster reponse hence better handling.

2. As per Robotechs post being able to have softer suspension for verticle load ie braking and accelleration front to rear weight transer whilst having the same amount of roll under lateral load.

3. Adding a sway bar which reduces the load on the inside tyre at one end of the car ie front has bennifits at the other end of the car. IE if you have stiff front sway bar and the inside wheel has reduced load (perhaps is even no longer touching the ground) the result is the outside front tyre has incrased load and the rear inside wheel also has incrased load.

Likewise if you have a stiff rear bar the inside rear wheel has reduced load, the outside rear has increased load and the inside front wheel has increased load.

This can allow you to further fine tune the front to rear balance of the car.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #214
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

good info
greywolf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #215
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1airborne View Post
I have an android and I really thank you for taking the time to do it. As you can tell by my post above, I really needed your help.

1airborne
Thanks for the feedback...glad you like the android version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I could be wrong (read as probably wrong) but I always thought that the reason you added sway bars was to give you more resistance to weight transfer left to right without affecting weight transfer front to back. The point of this was to improve the car's transitioning response...it snaps from left to right quicker.

Do I get a gold star Prof Martin? LOL

Oh, and Martin, I am a very greatful Android user. LOL
that is basically right, but I am fresh out of gold stars LOL

sway bars will reduce the car's tendency to roll in the corners, which is really about helping the car a) transition direction more quickly and b) give the car a more consistent feel. Also they are another tool to help achieve a good balance in the corners. You could just go up on spring rates to achieve a less roll in the corners, but then you will have less weight transfer forward and backward, (longitudinal) which will give you less ability to control the balance of the car with the throttle and brake, as well will not handle bumps as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
There are several reasons

1. Because grip and handling are somewhat mutually exclusive. Running no sway bar with increased lateral grip results in less reponse/handling and less stability. Whilst having increased grip provides more mid corner speed the opposite is true of corner entry & exit thence this can result in slower lap times. Ie with sway bars there is less body roll, more stability, faster reponse hence better handling.

2. As per Robotechs post being able to have softer suspension for verticle load ie braking and accelleration front to rear weight transer whilst having the same amount of roll under lateral load.

3. Adding a sway bar which reduces the load on the inside tyre at one end of the car ie front has bennifits at the other end of the car. IE if you have stiff front sway bar and the inside wheel has reduced load (perhaps is even no longer touching the ground) the result is the outside front tyre has incrased load and the rear inside wheel also has incrased load.

Likewise if you have a stiff rear bar the inside rear wheel has reduced load, the outside rear has increased load and the inside front wheel has increased load.

This can allow you to further fine tune the front to rear balance of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf74 View Post
good info
Good points about the inside tire at the opposite end of the car. Also...well said about the handling versus lateral grip.

Cheers
Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #216
Tech Master

Thanks Martin
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Awesome app for the Android!
smokefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #218
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Man! Never feel shy about asking me questions at races, as long as I am not about to run Thanks for lumping me in with the real pros, but they are at a different level than me. I use to blame it on the fact that I am old 46, but Rick Howart. puts that myth to bed But is is fun to run fairly close to the true pros. I have found they are all very approachable with Paul and Hara being some of the most approachable pro drivers out there.

Cheers
Sorry to inform you, but based your driving at the NATs, you are one of the Pro's. As for the age argument, you are 46 and you feel that it is a factor? Well, I am 56, guess that would make me "older'n dirt" But, you are right about Rick Howart, been watching him since the 90's and the guy is ageless on the track, maybe age is just a number

I did talk to Paul and was taken aback as to how approachable he was to this old "Q Main" driver.

Keep up the excellent work

No Apologies Racing, don't believe me, try me!!!!!
spurcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #219
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcheck View Post
Sorry to inform you, but based your driving at the NATs, you are one of the Pro's. As for the age argument, you are 46 and you feel that it is a factor? Well, I am 56, guess that would make me "older'n dirt" But, you are right about Rick Howart, been watching him since the 90's and the guy is ageless on the track, maybe age is just a number

I did talk to Paul and was taken aback as to how approachable he was to this old "Q Main" driver.

Keep up the excellent work

tks Yeah...Paul is one of the truly outstanding members of our little community...nice guy...super approachable....and wicked fast!

cheers.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #220
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

How about releasing the setup information as an ebook? Not everyone has a smart phone and whilst I do have your xxx main chassis book I wouldn't mind reading the new and improved version that is in this app.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #221
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
How about releasing the setup information as an ebook? Not everyone has a smart phone and whilst I do have your xxx main chassis book I wouldn't mind reading the new and improved version that is in this app.
Not a bad idea, however an ebook would not be able to include a number of features within the app such as the calculators, the ability to store setup info, the news feeds etc. I think a better idea would be to release something that would run on a laptop that included all these features.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #222
Tech Fanatic

Default trivia question #2

So here is my second trivia question about setup info....again those that have my "RC Setup Workbench" app the answer is in the app...so no cheating

What is a "carpet plot" and why should we care about it?

Cheers
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #223
Con
Tech Adept

i would buy the laptop version
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #224
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice idea Martin but rather than limiting yourself to creating a program that would work on only one OS, you could create an members section of the website where people could login and read the setup info and still have access to all of the other features the app currently offers.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #225
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Martin, does this app work on the Galaxy Nexus Prime cell phone? It has a bigger screen: 4.65"
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote