R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default ESC help

I am just getting back into racing and dont know anything about brushless systems

I want to race either 21.5 or 13.5 class but I have no idea what to look for in a ESC.

What is a turbo, boost, timing with a ESC

I dont have a huge amount of money to spend on a esc or racing but want something thats still going to be able to keep up.

Thanks for the help
J SiN
J SiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SiN View Post
I am just getting back into racing and dont know anything about brushless systems

I want to race either 21.5 or 13.5 class but I have no idea what to look for in a ESC.

I dont have a huge amount of money to spend on a esc or racing but want something thats still going to be able to keep up.

Thanks for the help
J SiN
as far as ESC reccomendation, you will most likely get 3 different responses, tekin, novak and lrp.

I reccomend tekin. drops down to 5t and ts lightest out with all features including boost. and timing adjustments. I reccomend getting a motor with timing adjustments on it, not on the esc. Just personal prefrence.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't race but hope to attend some local races with my son so I equipped our cars with a Castle Mamba Max Pro because it can run sensorless and sensored motors, is ROAR legal, has timing adjustment, and because it can be tweeked through a PC or field card. I have 5 cars equipped with Castle ESCs and have had great luck with them.
Steve. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Make your choice of speedo, LRP Sxx or Tekin rs/rspro or Novak Kinetic, this are the best out at present, then you have Hobbywing, Speed Passion etc...

Regardless which one you buy, you will be able to find out plenty and learn how to set them up, either here or on their own sites.

All depends on your budget. 13.5t or even 10.5t are very good classes, what you should find out is what is run at your local club first and follow what is done there, it is always better tu run with other people to progress.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J SiN View Post

Thanks for the help
J SiN
Here's my understanding of how brushless motors work. If I'm wrong on any of this, well I'm sure someone will correct me.

A brushless motor has a magnetic rotor and 3 electromagnetic sections in the stator area that surrounds the rotor. Electric pulses are sent to the 3 sections of the stator (phases) in a sequence that causes the rotor to spin. As the rpm increases, the ideal timing of those pulses in relation to the rotor position changes. You can make the rotor spin much faster if you can adjust when those pulses happen. ESC mfgs call the dynamic timing adjustments various things like boost, turbo, supercharger, cheat mode, etc.

Most have a timing adjustment that can be set for a certain RPM range (often called boost) and then another for when you're at wide open throttle (often called turbo) These timing adjustments can make a motor like a 13.5 spin pretty darn close to the speed of a low turn mod motor. There is also static timing on the endbell of many motors that changes the physical position of the sensor board

A lot of places are not running boosted classes now, but might allow ESCs that have an approved spec "zero timing" mode (blinky). You should find out what the rules are for the local classes you are thinking about joining before buying an ESC you might not be able to use, that might be overkill or that might not be very competitive in a boosted class (there are far more competitive boosted ESCs now than in the recent past, but some are still not quite there)
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

winning esc hobbywing xerun 120a only 120usd
maximnaegels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Think of a brushless as an inside out brushed, the magnet is in the middle now and the wiring is around in the case.

Sensored keep an eye on where exactly is the rotor at every speed it is turning.

Not much different from "old" brushed really, just a little bit more electronically minded.

One difference is how to set the ratio, it can be as far as 2/3 teeth up or down from where you were with a similar brushed.

If you still have brushed motors in good shape and that you want to use, look for a speedo that can run these also.

a 13.5t brushless is equivalent to a 27t brushed, and temperature is a major factor to set your motor correctly.

Hobbywing is cheap and good (same as Speed Passion, they come from the same factory in China) but we found that running one with LRP X12, the motor runs really hot in comparison to other motors.

One thing is for sure, when you use brushless, you won't go back to brushed.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
Think of a brushless as an inside out brushed, the magnet is in the middle now and the wiring is around in the case.

Sensored keep an eye on where exactly is the rotor at every speed it is turning.

Not much different from "old" brushed really, just a little bit more electronically minded.

One difference is how to set the ratio, it can be as far as 2/3 teeth up or down from where you were with a similar brushed.

If you still have brushed motors in good shape and that you want to use, look for a speedo that can run these also.

a 13.5t brushless is equivalent to a 27t brushed, and temperature is a major factor to set your motor correctly.

Hobbywing is cheap and good (same as Speed Passion, they come from the same factory in China) but we found that running one with LRP X12, the motor runs really hot in comparison to other motors.

One thing is for sure, when you use brushless, you won't go back to brushed.
Sorry I have to disagree with that. 13.5 is more like the old 19t and 17.5 is more like 27t.jmo
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

We raced 13.5t and 27t together in the days of NO variable timing.