R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #76
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier16 View Post
I could buy HSP XSTR 4WD for around 60pounds(it is new)
is it a better car/deal?

thanks
Edit: Never mind, i just realized it is the same car you posted above, but cheaper.
So I'll get it then.
Oh yeah search around, you will find the same car cheaper from different dealers.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #77
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Oh yeah search around, you will find the same car cheaper from different dealers.
So, it would be eaasy to take it apart and rebuild it? Because some other people said that since its a 4WD it might not be best for me...

Thanks
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #78
Suspended

Quote:
So, it would be eaasy to take it apart and rebuild it? Because some other people said that since its a 4WD it might not be best for me...

Thanks
It should be fine, it should come with a manual with break away diagrams of how everything fits together showing part numbers as well, in case you break something.

When it comes to off road buggies, 4x4 is about all there is unless you want to spend bigger money on a proper competition chassis like the Losi 22.

Once you have the car and have driven it a few times, the first think you are going to want to get is better battery packs (2 or 3) and a faster charger as well as some quality tools to wrench with.

Just remember to have fun and join a club near to where you live, just hanging out and talking with other RC enthusiasts will help you more than you can imagine.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
When it comes to off road buggies, 4x4 is about all there is unless you want to spend bigger money on a proper competition chassis like the Losi 22.
Really depends on your area. Here in the Midwest the 4wd 1/10 buggies is a very small field if any. Now 1/10 2wd Short Course is all the rage and soon it looks like the 4wd SCT is going to catch on.

The most popular 4wd class is the 1/8 nitro buggy and Truggys. Though none of these are cheap.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #80
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Really depends on your area. Here in the Midwest the 4wd 1/10 buggies is a very small field if any. Now 1/10 2wd Short Course is all the rage and soon it looks like the 4wd SCT is going to catch on.

The most popular 4wd class is the 1/8 nitro buggy and Truggys. Though none of these are cheap.
Being from AU, my only real exposure to whats popular in the US is via RC mags, and i know the last issue of RC Driver i was reading really gave me the impression of just how popular 4x4 SCT has become. It really is the ducks nuts of off road at the moment and the class that everyone want to be part of. Even the LRP Blast s10 range would be over the budget of the op, and thats about as cheep as you can go on a car that will survive on a race track. My Blast TC is still going strong, the only thing i have broken is the spur, but you are going to melt those no matter what brand you are running.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
Being from AU, my only real exposure to whats popular in the US is via RC mags, and i know the last issue of RC Driver i was reading really gave me the impression of just how popular 4x4 SCT has become. It really is the ducks nuts of off road at the moment and the class that everyone want to be part of. Even the LRP Blast s10 range would be over the budget of the op, and thats about as cheep as you can go on a car that will survive on a race track. My Blast TC is still going strong, the only thing i have broken is the spur, but you are going to melt those no matter what brand you are running.
Found the cheap 1/10 buggy rtr, the Electrix RC Boost. It retails for $120 and can even be raced (beginner level). It's distributed by Horizon Hobby.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #82
Suspended

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoon...ost_buggy.html Totally forgot about these, they have been given decent reviews as well for a cheep get into the hobby car. Certainly something the OP should look into if he can push his budget a litte further.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #83
Tech Apprentice

I have ordered HSP XSTR 4WD, i should have it in 2 days.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Now that you have something on it's way to you your going to need the right tools to work on it.
A tip
Any screw that goes into plastic will not need to be very tight.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #85
Suspended

Quote:
I have ordered HSP XSTR 4WD, i should have it in 2 days.
The first thing that you will find is that you need better batteries and charger, for these i would recommend going to Hobbyking and buying them online. 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html will keep you motoring for an hour or more.

Best bet for you on a charger tho, would be to go to a local store and buy one, then have a good talk with the sales guy about using, charging and taking care of LIPO batteries, get them to walk you though how to configure the charger as well. LIPO is great, but if you are not careful with them, you can damage them or worse, cause a fire by charging them wrong.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #86
Tech Apprentice

I have received the car. The esc seems to be making alot of beeping noise, i dont know if it's normal or not.

Also, there is a weird way to reverse the car.
It has 2 modes for the servo and the motor(thrust)
Normal and reverse.
No reverse in normal, however it does randomly reverses in normal and does sometime just start moving on its own.

In reverse mode, the car goes forward in neutral and backwards when the trigger is pressed. When the trigger is pressed outwards, the car goes forwards even faster.

I dont know if any of this is normal or not.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Sounds like you either didn't receive a manual or set up guide or you didn't read either.

If the normal/reverse is on the transmitter it will explain the odd behavior you mentioned because that switch is only used to set up the servo/speed control, once set you forget about it. It changes the way the transmitter sends the signal so if you turn the steering wheel to the left and the car goes to the right you flip the switch (reversing the servo). This isn't true with the throttle because the ESC has it's own reverse built in or the reverse can be blocked so it is forward and brake only.

Read the set up guide that should have been packed in the box and do try to figure it out. It isn't rocket science and should be a piece of cake for a pre-engineering student.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #88
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Sounds like you either didn't receive a manual or set up guide or you didn't read either.

If the normal/reverse is on the transmitter it will explain the odd behavior you mentioned because that switch is only used to set up the servo/speed control, once set you forget about it. It changes the way the transmitter sends the signal so if you turn the steering wheel to the left and the car goes to the right you flip the switch (reversing the servo). This isn't true with the throttle because the ESC has it's own reverse built in or the reverse can be blocked so it is forward and brake only.

Read the set up guide that should have been packed in the box and do try to figure it out. It isn't rocket science and should be a piece of cake for a pre-engineering student.
I did read the manual, it didnt say much about the reversing feature.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #89
Tech Elite

That may be the problem with those very cheap Chinese knock-offs. Poor, if any, documentation.

Well this will give you ample opportunity to employ your problem solving capabilities.

BTW: to go forward you pull the trigger and push the trigger to brake/reverse.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #90
Tech Apprentice

I played around with the car little more
This is what i found out:
1) It can go forwards in the normal mode, however, it randomly decides to go backwards at times(at quite a speed).
2) The car can be controlled in the reverse mode, in which it goes both backwards and forwards.
3) As for the battery, it is 03014 7.2V,1800mAH. It only seems to last about 20minutes, i dont know if thats normal or not and it takes ages to charge.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks