R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
Tech Regular
 
Coelacanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier16 View Post
I can get both of those softwares.
So, you wouldnt recommend buying a kit then?
So you don't have those software programs yet? Have you at least some familiarity with CAD software? I don't want to put you off but after reading this thread and your questions, I'd have to say you're in over your head to build a car from scratch. Certainly nothing is impossible but you have to take baby steps before learning how to run marathons. You need to have the experience of building several cars from kits, for example, before you'll appreciate the work involved in designing such cars. I would suggest the majority of people don't go beyond that (building RC cars from kits), those who put together cars from random leftover parts from parts cars have an excellent fundamental knowledge of how those many parts work and interact with each other in order to function.

In order of complexity & difficulty:

-Buying a ready-built kit;
-Building a car from an unassembled kit;
-Modifying & customizing & re-engineering a car built from a kit;
-Building a complete custom car from random parts from other cars;
-Designing & building a car completely from scratch.

Again, I don't want to dissuade you, but from this thread, it seems like you want to build Rome in a day.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #32
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
So you don't have those software programs yet? Have you at least some familiarity with CAD software? I don't want to put you off but after reading this thread and your questions, I'd have to say you're in over your head to build a car from scratch. Certainly nothing is impossible but you have to take baby steps before learning how to run marathons. You need to have the experience of building several cars from kits, for example, before you'll appreciate the work involved in designing such cars. I would suggest the majority of people don't go beyond that (building RC cars from kits), those who put together cars from random leftover parts from parts cars have an excellent fundamental knowledge of how those many parts work and interact with each other in order to function.

In order of complexity & difficulty:

-Buying a ready-built kit;
-Building a car from an unassembled kit;
-Modifying & customizing & re-engineering a car built from a kit;
-Building a complete custom car from random parts from other cars;
-Designing & building a car completely from scratch.

Again, I don't want to dissuade you, but from this thread, it seems like you want to build Rome in a day.
You don't need cad, start with a packet of bendy straws and a roll of cello tape to mock up a tube chassis, or 1.5/2mm copper rod and cello tape. Then make a jig out of some 12mm ply wood, use a router to cut slots into this to lay out the base of the tube chassis, so that its level and square so there is no tweak. Using your bendy straws as templates, use a brake line tube bender to shape each section of the tube chassis, use a dremel or round file to make a C shape in the end of the tube for a snug fit before welding or brazing.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

I dont have any knowledge about the parts in a car(other than like the motor, wheels etc.). So, now i think buying a cheap kit to start off with might be a better idea.
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #34
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Yorkshire, England, UK
Posts: 202
Default

Hi,

What your thinking of doing is a really good idea and you could learn alot from doing it, however I agree with what a few people have said and judging from what you have wrote so far you may struggle with some of the stuff involved.

If I was you I would forget the kit etc unless you plan on getting into rc to race etc (in which case definately buy one )

I would sit down and think how would a electric car work, what basic things does it need to be able to do, first move forward and 2nd needs to be able to turn.

now how will i get the car to go forward (electric motor) and how can i get the wheels to turn (servo) then start thinking of how you might build parts to provide power from the motor to the wheels to go forward and how you will link the servo to the wheels to turn.

You could build a electric powered car (i'd recommend 1/12th scale pan car stlye design) out of some sheet aluminuim and buy some wishbones, wheels hubs etc for you to fit into your car and a cheap radio and 4 cell batteries for under $100.

I'm not saying you could race it but you would of designed and built the car yourself minor the wishbones servo etc.
U1timate PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Yes, that is what i meant by building a r/c car. I dont want to race it, just to learn something. So, are all motors compatible with the servos and also for the axle wheels? Also, would i not need like a circuit board or something(to communicate with the radio), or is it already inside the motor?


I made something like this 3 years ago, i took apart a rc car and used a tissue box to make it into a boat. I used a propeller from an old plane.
search for "Boat with remote control tissue" on youtube
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

For the electronics to work you need:

1 battery 1s is sufficient if you are going the 1/12th route or 2s for 1/10th or 4/6 subC nimh/nicads or even dry cells

1 servo for direction

1 receiver for telling the car what to do

1 transmitter to send commands to receiver

1 electronic speed controller to move the car, if you go the mechanical way you will need a second servo, but this will be hard to load on a 1/12th scale.

1 motor to make it go (size 540, does not need to be brushless depending on speedo) I mean that you can buy cheap speed controller and brushed motor for a project like this.

Aluminium plates are fine but fragile, get some grp/fibreglass sheet to make your chassis, suspension arms etc...in 1.5/2mm
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:11 AM   #37
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,696
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
For the electronics to work you need:

1 battery 1s is sufficient if you are going the 1/12th route or 2s for 1/10th or 4/6 subC nimh/nicads or even dry cells

1 servo for direction

1 receiver for telling the car what to do

1 transmitter to send commands to receiver

1 electronic speed controller to move the car, if you go the mechanical way you will need a second servo, but this will be hard to load on a 1/12th scale.

1 motor to make it go (size 540, does not need to be brushless depending on speedo) I mean that you can buy cheap speed controller and brushed motor for a project like this.

Aluminium plates are fine but fragile, get some grp/fibreglass sheet to make your chassis, suspension arms etc...in 1.5/2mm
You can buy all of this from HobbyKing for less than $150 bucks, like its only for play, so why spend big bucks when you dont need to,

Motor, 13T brushless, $30
ESC (speed controller) 35A $24
Servo $25
Transmitter and receiver $20
Battery lipo 5000ma $20
Battery Charger: cheep and nasty balanced charger $20

Going the pan car route, add in front steering knuckles, axles and kingpins, $25 rear axle assembly bearing blocks ball diff and spur gear, $60, foam tires $20, most of this stuff you could rape off someones broken car, look about in the classifieds for anyone selling HSP or other Chinese oem cars and use one for all the bits and pieces you might need. You can pick up a non working cheep rc car for $30 bucks or even less.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #38
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
For the electronics to work you need:

1 battery 1s is sufficient if you are going the 1/12th route or 2s for 1/10th or 4/6 subC nimh/nicads or even dry cells

1 servo for direction

1 receiver for telling the car what to do

1 transmitter to send commands to receiver

1 electronic speed controller to move the car, if you go the mechanical way you will need a second servo, but this will be hard to load on a 1/12th scale.

1 motor to make it go (size 540, does not need to be brushless depending on speedo) I mean that you can buy cheap speed controller and brushed motor for a project like this.

Aluminium plates are fine but fragile, get some grp/fibreglass sheet to make your chassis, suspension arms etc...in 1.5/2mm
I found the following(but i dont know if they are compatible with each other)
Motor:
1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STANDARD-TAMIY...item5d2f2bf852
2) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAMIYA-SAND-VI...item43a6edb2ef
3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Saturn-27T...item20bab20051

Servo:
1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG995-Hi-Speed...item20b48b82fc
2) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3kg-Throttle-S...item3cb2fc406e
3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3kg-High-Torqu...item3cb365045a
4) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RC-Car-3kg-Hig...item25655826d3

Speed controller:
1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ESC-Electronic...item4cf68e7c12
2) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20A-Electronic...item3366ad71ef
3) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Racing-MC2...item3cb9bf4da3

Receiver and transmitter:
1) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HPI-TF-1-T...item4cf867be6b

I found something like this for axle:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Team-Associate...item414eb30310

And i dont know which kind axles or wheels to get.(Im in UK btw)

Thanks for the help everyone
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

im guessing i would also need a chassis, so which one would be best(something cheap)or should i buy a good sized chassis so evrything fits?

thanks
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #40
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

wow.


My reccomendedation is to buy a kit that suits your need/want (off road, oval, SCT, on road, drift That is unassembled. Perfect example is Tamiya. My son and I are buliding a TA06 and I am teaching him some tips/tricks, and he is discovering some on his own. Most Tamiya kits come with a marabuchi motor. It is slow, but a great starting point. Race with that motor and mess with settings, add 1* of camber, and see if your lap times improve or you like the steering dynamics, if not change it back. add 1* toe-in in the rear, race with that, if you like it, keep it. once you have a nice setting maybe pick a racing class you wish to join(example rcgt; its competitve and more for beginners who are refining thier skills) and buy yourself a 17.5t motor and re-tune your car to what you like.

This isnt a buy it out of the box and start beating people. you need to find your own personal prefrence. your starting point is what your wallet will allow. a $150 Tamiya tt01 to a $450+ team magic. but you definately get what you pay for.

As far as electronics, Prettymuch any transmitter/reciever combo will come with atleast 1 servo. From there, all you need is a esc. Just get an ESC that has a rating for lower turn motors. Tekin RSpro is great and goes down to 5t. (much faster than you will prob run anytime and you can also convert to brushless by not changing both motor and esc. )
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #41
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Yorkshire, England, UK
Posts: 202
Default

if your doing 1/12th scale I get a smaller sized servo but don't forget your building and designing the car so you can make any size fit that you want obviously you comprimise space tho. but yes the cheap ones like that are fine, electronic speed controller there first one looks fine, like previously said any 540 brushed motor will do the job. so all those would work i would recommend the hpi tho.

as for wheels and axles, the ones you have chosen are for 1/18, you want 1/12th scale size if thats the size your going for. try looking at some rc shops or ebay for some 1/12 for wheels/tires and look at a few different types of axles available for that scale.

basically your making a mardave car,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARDAVE-BANGER...item3369591cc0

or something similar depending on how far you decide to go with your design.

The chassis can be made from anything you want, aluminium, sheet metal, carbon fibre, plastic. don't forget its your design, I wouldn't suggest getting carbon fibre if your cutting it to shape yourself and drilling the holes as the dust is bad for your lungs ( so you would pay a professional company to do that for you (which cost some serious cash tho).

Look up some info on mardaves and look what sort of things there doing, and would hurt to research how rc cars work to get you started.

If your doing this a college/university project then put some serious thought into this for yourself, make a planning stage, highlighting what you intend to achieve and how it will work, what parts you need, what you will be manufacturing/ making yourself, what parts you will be buying to fit the car, write down all sites books, people etc you get information to be put into a refernce page so people can see the sources of your info.

then make a plan/schedule with set milestones for each stage of your project, eg week 1-3 could be for find info on various cars/types, week 4-5 for deciding on type and parts required, week 6 ccar design etc etc....

also make sure you write reports at each stage, pointing out difficulties and solutions to any problems.

then when you've finished write a evaluation of youe project and how you think you could improve it if you did it again.

Hope all that info helps

and good luck.
U1timate PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #42
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U1timate PigDog View Post
if your doing 1/12th scale I get a smaller sized servo but don't forget your building and designing the car so you can make any size fit that you want obviously you comprimise space tho. but yes the cheap ones like that are fine, electronic speed controller there first one looks fine, like previously said any 540 brushed motor will do the job. so all those would work i would recommend the hpi tho.

as for wheels and axles, the ones you have chosen are for 1/18, you want 1/12th scale size if thats the size your going for. try looking at some rc shops or ebay for some 1/12 for wheels/tires and look at a few different types of axles available for that scale.

basically your making a mardave car,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARDAVE-BANGER...item3369591cc0

or something similar depending on how far you decide to go with your design.

The chassis can be made from anything you want, aluminium, sheet metal, carbon fibre, plastic. don't forget its your design, I wouldn't suggest getting carbon fibre if your cutting it to shape yourself and drilling the holes as the dust is bad for your lungs ( so you would pay a professional company to do that for you (which cost some serious cash tho).

Look up some info on mardaves and look what sort of things there doing, and would hurt to research how rc cars work to get you started.

If your doing this a college/university project then put some serious thought into this for yourself, make a planning stage, highlighting what you intend to achieve and how it will work, what parts you need, what you will be manufacturing/ making yourself, what parts you will be buying to fit the car, write down all sites books, people etc you get information to be put into a refernce page so people can see the sources of your info.

then make a plan/schedule with set milestones for each stage of your project, eg week 1-3 could be for find info on various cars/types, week 4-5 for deciding on type and parts required, week 6 ccar design etc etc....

also make sure you write reports at each stage, pointing out difficulties and solutions to any problems.

then when you've finished write a evaluation of youe project and how you think you could improve it if you did it again.

Hope all that info helps

and good luck.
I understand what i need to buy, but just don't understand which type of axle to buy, there are so many!....(this will sound noobish, but would i also not need like a driveshaft or like something that will connect the motor and the servo to the wheels?).

Thanks alot
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic
 
silverhkswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 988
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier16 View Post
I understand what i need to buy, but just don't understand which type of axle to buy, there are so many!....(this will sound noobish, but would i also not need like a driveshaft or like something that will connect the motor and the servo to the wheels?).

Thanks alot
completely noobish; but its ok! (i remember my first rc car...)

there are 3 different types of electric chassis, Direct drive, belt driven or shaft driven. if you buy a RTR kit everything is there. that is the easiest option. Direct drive kits are more... Direct. no belts/shafts unless its a 4wd (tamiya makes an FF01-front engint, front wheel drive, Tamiya makes a F103/F104 that is direct drive rear wheel) there are some like the ta06 that has a geardrive to power the rear and belt to power the front.

Youre biting off waaaaay more than you can chew. Just buy a kit that you build, buy your self a digital caliper and a good hex driver set. and get to work!
__________________
SpeedPassion 17.5R powered TRF417X
My son owns: Team Associated RC18R2
(RC18B2 converted to a RC18R)

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 50
Default

from the list of items i found(posted above), are those enough to make a working car. If not, what else do i need.
I know i should order them first and try to work it out for myself, but i want to order everything at once and start making the car after i have everything.
From the research i have done, it looks like i still need
1) Chassis
2) drive shaft
3) axles
4) wheels(and possible suspension)

so according to what specifications should i buy these parts?(i dont mind if its 1/12 or 1/18)

Thanks again
soldier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #45
Tech Addict
 
encore75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SnoHoCo, WA
Posts: 629
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75
Default

It's great that you're looking to R/C cars as a platform for an engineering project, but trying to design/build a whole car without having any working knowledge of R/C cars and what goes into them is going to be very difficult. Also, if you're looking to be cost-conscious about this endeavor, trying to buy every single part separately is not going to help that goal.

If you have a local hobby shop that carries R/C kits, it would be helpful to you to consult them about what's available in your budget range and what things you would need to get started. You've already received some help from us here to let you know you need a chassis/kit, electronics (such as a radio, servos, motor, electronic speed control, etc.), batteries, and a battery charger.

I agree with the suggestion that you start off with an established kit, just so that you can get a knowledge of how everything works together. If you're wanting to build a buggy, perhaps you could consider something simple like a Tamiya Grasshopper or Hornet. Those cars also come with a motor and ESC in the kit, so all you'll need to get going are a radio & servos, and a battery & charger.

Start off with the basics...it'll help you out in the long run.
__________________
Tamiya TB-Evolution V & TA05-R | Kyosho Ultima SC & RB5 | Associated FT RC18T
encore75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XXX-CR Thread Matt Howard Electric Off-Road 5778 04-03-2017 01:45 PM
All abt kyosho ZX5 post here SuperEk4 Singapore R/C Racers 775 01-04-2010 10:36 PM
Why cant the MM 7700 run 3s? Fatstogey Electric Off-Road 34 05-24-2009 12:26 PM
It's time for race tracks&directors to step up Juan Aveytia Electric On-Road 19 11-26-2006 08:09 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:01 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net