Search

Question about tekin rs pro

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Question about tekin rs pro

Hello folks,
My tekin rs pro esc flights flashes when I come to a stop or let the esc sit idle for a bit. Like when I run the car and come to a complete stop and after a few second all the lights on the bar thingy flashes. I notice that when I try to pull the throttle while the lights is flashing the motor doesn't respond. Why is it doing this?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Is the ESC hot?

With all the lights flashing it sounds like it has thermaled out.

What motor/setup are you using?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

The esc is not hot. I'm running 17.5 motor.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Initiate

I think I got it Figured out. I checked over the manual and it suggest that if all led are flashing, then there is radio signal problem. I'm using a tekin 3ch fm receiver, the original red case tekin fm receiver. And it is stacked between an xp ds1015 servo and the tekin rs pro esc. Perhaps the esc is overly sensitive to the smallest glitch on these fm receiver, because if there is a glitch long enough it would twitch the steering servo too.

What I did to verify the receiver's fault was by temporary plug the esc into a spare futaba r6008hs fasst receiver and the light flashing thing didn't happen the whole time it was turned on. I tried to duplicate the proplem and could not get the lights to flash. Then I plug the esc back into the tekin receiver, the lights would start flashing every five or ten second or so even if there is no transmitter inputs.

Each time I swap the receiver and transmitter I recalibrated the esc to the new throttle range.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Glad you figured it out
Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

doesnt your neutral width do the same thing as the speedo cant find a neutral point in your radio setup so u need to set the neutral width wider on the rs pro so it will work??

Just a general question
Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys

I have been searching forums/google for info on this same problem but this seems to be the only thread that resembles what I have experienced with my new Tekin RS Pro (New Build, Bench Tested Only)...

I made a video of it here:
Add watch?v=R9pRKFUSS0U at the end of yourtube url.
(* can't embed or link due to post limit for noobs, ).

Pretty much the same things as xxcysxx, in that when at idle all 7 LEDs flash. At first I thought it might be because of interference with the receiver being packed so close to the RS PRO, so I wired up a second receiver (same make/model) and kept it about 10cm away..... I still had the same problem.

Everything is running the latest software including firmware via HotWire.

1. I guess what I really need to do is try a different tx/rx all together?

2. Does this mean that my Tx/Rx are hopping over 2.4Chz channels slow enough for it to make the RS PRO think there is a drop out?

3. Finally, with this issue persisting how else am I suppose to know the temperature status of my RS-Pro?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

We had problems with 40mhz radio here and nearly all of us had to change to 2.4, since no problems.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Not sure what radio you guys are using, but make sure that when you calibrate the esc, the radio end points are a 100%, if it has trim adjustment that they are all 0, and the neutral width is ample (say 40 or so).
Calibrate it like that, then try tweaking the neutral width down so there isn't as much dead-band.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the response guys.

I'm using the Ansmann W5 2.4Ghz.

I tried recalibrating again, it didn't fix the issue.

I'm confident that this is down to the tx/rx being used and the freq hopping. Partly so because the double flashes resemble the same flash your normally get when you boot up the RS without the transmitter on.

Despite this the RS seems to be functioning very well and doing everything I'm telling it to. I do however want to get this resolved because it is hindering me to monitor the temperature of the RS.

I will try another tx/rx and see what happens. If you have any more ideas please do share.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

I'll post an update for future wanderers who may stumble on this thread with the same problem.

According to the guys at Tekin, the intermittent flashing of all LEDs is down to the RS being super sensitive to radio reception. Its mainly to do with the channel hopping and the rate - I think my Ansmann is a bit slow and so it makes the Tekin think there is radio loss.

I'll be upgrading the tx to a DX3R anyway

Cheers
Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello,
I have come to a conclusion that this led flashing situation is radio signal related. This is not a problem of the transmitter or receiver. Perhaps the esc (tekin rs pro) is over sensitive to signal cleanliness.

I verify my result by testing the esc with several different receivers. The initial receiver was the tekin 3ch fm receiver. The original red cased fm receiver. Then a jr 2ch r200 fm receiver. Both fm receiver had the esc lights flashing issues.
Then I used a spektrum sr3001 and then spektrum sr3500 receiver paired with a spektrum modulated jr r-1 transmitter. The result was the same. All lights on esc flashed again.
Then I use a spektrum ar6100 aircraft receiver paired with a spektrum modulated jr 10x transmitter. Same result with light flashing.
Then I tried with a futaba r607fs and futaba r6008hs aircraft receivers paired with a fasst modulated 14mz transmitter and the light flashing from the esc went away.
At this time I concluded that this esc must have not liked spektrum or jr equipment. I decided to go to the hobby shop to borrow the owner's radio equipment to test out. He was using the futaba 4pks and a fast receiver and also he was using the tekin rs pro on his car.
When I connect my esc the receiver on his car which was bounded to his 4pks, my esc lights didn't flashes anymore.
Then I decided, just out of giggle, what if I connect the tekin rs pro esc from his car to my spektrum sr3500 from my car. The result was the same as mine, his esc lights flashes.

At that time we all concluded that the esc must have not like spektrum equipment.

Here is another weird effect I also notice. If I remove the sensor wire from the motor and esc the lights does not flash anymore. What gives? Nothing wrong with the motor sensor module or the sensor wire. We tested a different sensor wire while we were there.

The flashing I'm talking about is not the spek mode flashing where there is only two led flashing. This flashing is all seven led flashing. Occasionally, there is one led flash at led 1. This is probably the temp readout of the esc, and this flash is normal. The problem with having all the led flash on this esc is that while it flash there will be no throttle response. Try and apply throttle when all seven led flash, the motor will either hiccup or not response at all.

All the receivers I tested I did re-calibrated the esc to new throttle range.

I have ordered a new airtronics mt-4 and it's on its way. I will post back my result.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If removing the sensor wire from the esc corrects this issue your esc will require repair. There are filters and other components that all share the bec. A lot of the new 2.4ghz radios channel hop, spektrums do not nor do FM radios.

Hit up the guys at [email protected] to get your esc repaired.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by xxcysxx
Hello,

Did you try any tests with a legitmate paired Specktrum tx/rx instead of just the spektrum rx? (eg. DX3R)?

I think if this issue was happening with the mainstream spektrum tx/rx the issue would be much more common, so I think I would still like to see what happens when using something like the DX3R.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Initiate

If removing the sensor wire from the esc corrects this issue your esc will require repair.
But another driver at the hobby shop also has the tekin rs pro and his also has the lights flashing when it was hooked up to my sr3500 receiver. Then the lights on my tekin stop flashing when I hook it up to his futaba fasst receiver.

There are filters and other components that all share the bec.
I have also remove the red wire from the esc receiver plug and used a separate receiver battery, five cells 6v, and I have also used a capacitor for the receiver as well but still the same result.

doesnt your neutral width do the same thing as the speedo cant find a neutral point in your radio setup so u need to set the neutral width wider on the rs pro so it will work??
I did thought about this and have tried this already.

Did you try any tests with a legitmate paired Specktrum tx/rx instead of just the spektrum rx? (eg. DX3R)?
Sure, will do. But what not so legitimate about a native spektrum transmitter and modulize spektrum transmitter. My my futaba 14mz is not native fasst and I also has the spektrum module for the 14mz as well.
But I will take your suggestion on this. Perhaps modulize spektrum transmitter has a different center pulse width than native spektrum transmitter.

Have you tried removing your sensor wire to see if the lights flashing go away?

Last edited by xxcysxx; 07-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.