R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default The old One-Stop Raceway in So Cal

So I don't know if this is the right place for this or not...it could go in the track section but this is about a long closed track so I left it here since the discussion began in this forum.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ve-idea-3.html

So anyone else remember this old track? Rumor has it that the track is STILL in the back of the building to this day since it was too hard to remove. Can anyone confirm this?

For those wondering, One-Stop was a track in Los Alamitos, CA...about an hour southeast-ish of L.A. It started as a dirt oval but soon was converted into a paved oval. It was unique because the track had unique and steep banking. The orignal design called for a longer track but the builders ran out of space. Turns one and two were up against the east wall of the building and because of the mis-calculation had very steep banking. Turns three and four were less steep but still highly banked. For those that ran at So Cal R/C in the late 90s and early 2000s, the banking of their oval track was less steep than turns three and four at One Stop! You can imagine how steep One and Two were!!!

The track was so short you almost never drove in a straight line. You would come out of a corner, drive about 10-15' and be turning again. They ran 1/10th scale pan car, 1/12 scale 4 cell modified, 1/10th scale open wheel Indy Car (that was my fault because I had a Tamiya Road Wizard and started the class to race it...), and even ran Monster truck races, truck pulls, and demolition derbies. The track got the nickname "One-Slam" because one slam into the wall and you'd be replacing parts.

God how I miss it. So anyone else got some One-Stop memories?
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For the life of me I couldn't remember the name of One-Stop till you described it.

I raced there in 1987 (I think?). I remember Kent Classen running a highly modified RC10 wicked fast.

The one thing I remember most was Mike Reedy doing motor tuning classes.

It was a really nice setup.

What about another one in CA, I think it was called Bob and Jims, in a old school gym in Riverside (I think again, lol).

I drove something like 1500 miles just to check those places out and to go to the Nats in Phoenix, now wth was that track called, lol.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Yep, One-Stop was the place to be for on-road oval back then in So Cal. Bob and Jims was the place out in Riverside. I mentioned it above. LOL It was part of a series race I participated in. While I don't miss the cost of oval, I do miss One-Stop.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Bob & Jims is where a lot of us learned to race in so-cal.
Good times at the "Monday Night Nationals"

One Stop was great too, raced off-road there, and then a few times on the paved oval/infield road course, I think it was about half the size of So-Cal Raceway.
A lot of factory drivers at One Stop back then.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
One Stop was great too, raced off-road there, and then a few times on the paved oval/infield road course, I think it was about half the size of So-Cal Raceway.
A lot of factory drivers at One Stop back then.
It was certainly a bull ring, that's for sure. And yea, Jammin' Jay Halsey, Kent Clausen, Shawn Ireland, and many other big 80s and 90s drivers raced there. Expert mod was really a bunch of Experts. Six cell mod, in a 1/10th scale direct drive car, was FAST even by today's standard.

As for the dirt oval, remember the old Dominator? It was a 4wd 1/10th scale car that ran dirt oval, had a HUGE side wing/air dam, and they'd drift those cars through the turns at pretty high speeds. Just wicked fast cars and all the fast guys drove them. God how I dreamed about owning a Dominator some day. I tried to keep up with a Kyosho Optima but the thing was just too big and heavy to even come close to what those old Dominators were doing.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
It was certainly a bull ring, that's for sure. And yea, Jammin' Jay Halsey, Kent Clausen, Shawn Ireland, and many other big 80s and 90s drivers raced there. Expert mod was really a bunch of Experts. Six cell mod, in a 1/10th scale direct drive car, was FAST even by today's standard.

As for the dirt oval, remember the old Dominator? It was a 4wd 1/10th scale car that ran dirt oval, had a HUGE side wing/air dam, and they'd drift those cars through the turns at pretty high speeds. Just wicked fast cars and all the fast guys drove them. God how I dreamed about owning a Dominator some day. I tried to keep up with a Kyosho Optima but the thing was just too big and heavy to even come close to what those old Dominators were doing.
I remember a few occasions where mod cars would fly off the track and end up in someones pit area

I also recall a car leaving the track at So-Cal, tumbling 30 ft out the back door, and landing on the hood of some guys truck.
How do you explain that to your insurance company

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
I remember a few occasions where mod cars would fly off the track and end up in someones pit area
LOL! Yea they did! I remember once when a guys car left the back straight, flipped over the boards, and landed in a trash can on top of some half eaten Volcano burger! LOL The burger's sauce didn't do much to improve traction I can tell you that!!! LOL
Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Bob & Jims is where a lot of us learned to race in so-cal.
Good times at the "Monday Night Nationals"
Bob & Jims... Good times. I still can't believe I made the weekly trek from the SGV back then. Oh well, that was when I was young. I can't imagine myself driving that distance on a regular basis anywhere nowadays just to race. Is it old age or just the current gas prices?

Quote:
I never owned one but a buddy of mine who was really into dirt ovals did. At the time I thought it was nuts to pay $400+ for just a chassis. But then looking at what we're paying for the XRay, Tamiya 417 or TCX it doesn't sound so outlandish nowadays. However, $400 1980's dollars is worth a lot more than $400 2011 dollars.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
I never owned one but a buddy of mine who was really into dirt ovals did. At the time I thought it was nuts to pay $400+ for just a chassis. But then looking at what we're paying for the XRay, Tamiya 417 or TCX it doesn't sound so outlandish nowadays. However, $400 1980's dollars is worth a lot more than $400 2011 dollars.
I got curious and Googled the Dominator...

http://www.customworksrc.com/dominator.php
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
SKJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

One Stop is where I learned to race. I miss that track. It was alot of fun racing there.

I was told the track was tore out of the building. The last time I drove by there it was a photo studio.
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
I got curious and Googled the Dominator...

http://www.customworksrc.com/dominator.php
The new one still sells for $400.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBHXE&P=7

I guess there's no inflation in RC.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (93%+)

i used to own the old chain drive one.. those where the days..
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
The new one still sells for $400.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBHXE&P=7

I guess there's no inflation in RC.
I saw that and was surprised they started making them again. Would love to own one of the old ones.

I now really want to find out if the track is still there. I can't see them leaving that there as it would make it very hard to use the warehouse portion of the facility.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know this is a really old thread, but does anybody recognize this truck? It has a One Stop decal on it and maybe it raced there back in the day?