R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Worth restoring an abused TA03F Pro? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/530262-worth-restoring-abused-ta03f-pro.html)

stizz 07-06-2011 05:28 PM

Worth restoring an abused TA03F Pro?

I have an old TA03F Pro that is beat to hell. Carbon fiber lower deck is severely scratched up. As well lower arms and bumper (pretty much any surface that was exposed to the ground) are beat up pretty well. It was repeatedly ran on gravel with oversize tires, so it has certainly seen better days.

I dismantled it to inspect the extent of the damage. After I got the sand out of the ball differentials, I noticed a Knuckle arm is cracked too.

I now have to make a decision. Restore the TA03F to its former glory and in the process spend $$$ to ship rare discontinued parts from Hong Kong from various ebayers, or buy a new kit altogether (I'm eying the M06 Pro).

Is it worth it to restore this machine? I would need these parts:

50698 - A parts (gear box)
50699 - B parts (rear gear box)
50701 - D parts (x2)
50703 - J parts
50705 - Knuckle Arm
plus new shocks and wheels/tires.

Shipping on these items is almost equal to the cost of the parts, where I can easily see myself spending upwards of $150 and still have a car that needs work. Seems like I'd be better off scrapping it and building from a newer kit with spare-parts still in production.

Does the rctech community agree or is the TA03F Pro worth saving?

Evoracer 07-06-2011 05:33 PM

Sadly, I don't think so. A basic 03 Pro with a nasty chassis plate just won't go for that much. If the chassis were pristine....maybe worth putting money in to but it sounds like you need LOTS ! The 03 is one of my favorites and I've sold some really nice ones. Ah...regrets.

stizz 07-06-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 9354362)
A basic 03 Pro with a nasty chassis plate just won't go for that much.

I was actually considering sanding and painting the bottom (is that sacrilege?)

but I should clarify that I would not be restoring it to sell, but rather to keep (and likely race). I've been out of the hobby for a decade now and want to get back in now that I'm older and have a son, which is why maybe a newer kit is a better option. I just hate having a busted up TA03 and can't bear to toss it out knowing how much I paid for it initially and that it could be fixed...

sentimental fool am I

JimmyMac 07-06-2011 06:13 PM

If its cheap enough, go for it and have fun. If it turns out not to be too good with local competition, you can always set it aside (nicely restored) and hang it on the wall and pick up a TA06 or something. Wish I still had mine. I'd give it a go if I did. It would be fun.

Radio Active 07-06-2011 07:07 PM

If you didn't need new shocks I'd say that restoring it was probably worthwhile as it would be a good starting point for your son. Shocks tend to be expensive though, any chance you can just rebuild the old ones with new o-rings and bladders?

JimmyMac 07-06-2011 07:25 PM

If you don't wanna fork out for Tamiya shocks, you can always go for 3Racing shocks. They should be $20 or less. (for aluminum ones)

Evoracer 07-06-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by stizz (Post 9354464)
I was actually considering sanding and painting the bottom (is that sacrilege?)

but I should clarify that I would not be restoring it to sell, but rather to keep (and likely race). I've been out of the hobby for a decade now and want to get back in now that I'm older and have a son, which is why maybe a newer kit is a better option. I just hate having a busted up TA03 and can't bear to toss it out knowing how much I paid for it initially and that it could be fixed...

sentimental fool am I

God knows collectors wouldn't be collectors without sentiment being involved. Fix it to your hearts content. Piece by piece as time and money allows. Personally, I wouldn't try to race it. Then again, maybe we should have a Classic GT class where only older cars like the 03 are allowed. Don't laugh....Vintage Go Karting is the same way. :nod::nod::D

Robotech 07-07-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 9355104)
Then again, maybe we should have a Classic GT class where only older cars like the 03 are allowed. Don't laugh....Vintage Go Karting is the same way. :nod::nod::D

Oh how I like this idea!!!! I have an old RS4 that would be perfect for that!!!

And I say fix up the TA03F Pro...that was my first touring car and I wish I still had it. Got that thing pulled like a freight train out of the corners with all that weight up front.

stizz 07-07-2011 01:35 PM

The guy at my LHS almost talked me out of restoring it just because of the difficulty of getting parts. But I did find most of what I need out of Hong Kong ebayers. Not counting wheels and shocks, the parts list is $55 bucks plus $30 for slow shipping from 3 different sellers.

So I seem inclined to restore it, although probably on a piece by piece basis.

Although I figure if I'm likely to spend more than $200 all in, then maybe my next best option is to buy used TA03 kits rather than seeking NIB parts.

For instance, this may be everything I need (save wheels):

ebay item #370524809004 (I'm apparently not to be trusted with posting urls)

That is assuming of course that a TA03F and a TA03F Pro are the same other than one having a bathtub bottom deck?

Evoracer 07-07-2011 02:33 PM

Your thread got me thinking. I thought I had a box full of 03 parts from when I had to piece together my own collection of 03 cars. Let me know if theres stock original pieces you need aside from main chassis pieces. My collection may be gone but at least I can help another car get up and running.

TIZAO 07-07-2011 02:42 PM

Wipping off the dust on my TA03R-S as we speak.... I cant believe how LITTLE use is on this car....

EricF 07-07-2011 08:09 PM

Don't do it because you think it might be worth money some day. That’s where a lot of people go wrong. Collect what you like, not necessarily what's popular. That way if it turns out not to be worth more than you paid for it, at least you'll have something you like.
E

YR4Dude 07-08-2011 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 9355104)
.... Then again, maybe we should have a Classic GT class where only older cars like the 03 are allowed. Don't laugh....Vintage Go Karting is the same way. :nod::nod::D

I have a garage full of those(plus vintage electronics) to bring out if such a class was alive and well. My screen name isn't there for nothing.:D

To the OP, old cars are good for one thing only, to look at and reminice about the good times you had with it. Restore for yourself as a keepsake if you can afford to. However, its best you spend your money on something you are ASSURED will WORK when you race it. Take it from a guy who's learned from this and have about 10 times as many old cars than you.;):lol:

stizz 07-08-2011 05:21 PM

So a lot of good advice to be had. :D

I leaning in this direction:

Rather than spending a huge chunk of money to restore the TA03F Pro all at once, I think I'd rather spend the money on (2) Lunchboxes and then rebuild the TA03 at a more leisurely pace.

The primary goals here are to get back into the hobby (without spending a fortune upfront), and to get my 7 year old involved. I already have enough electronics for 2 cars and the lunchbox is cheap at about $100 each. Another 60 for basic batteries and now we have 2 fully functioning cars that we can race each other pretty much anywhere.

By the time my TA03 gets in driving condition, my son will hopefully have enough experience from driving the Lunchbox that he won't wreck my touring car at speed on the first sharp turn.

At this point then we can both move onto new cars, maybe M06's. :smile:

Since the Restoration the TA03 is for my own sentimental enjoyment, should I go all out and buy Aluminum?

Evoracer 07-08-2011 06:12 PM

Hell Yeah !!! The alloy looks great and in some cases, alloy parts are easier to get than the original plastic pieces.