R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Schumacher belts - How do you know what to buy?

I have a Schumacher MI1 and MI3 here atm and the main belt on the MI1 looks like it's seen better days.

I want to buy front/rear replacements for both of them but eBay has hundreds of tooth combinations and I dont have a clue what belts I would need?

How do you calculate this? Or how do I know what belts to get?

Many thanks,
Simon.
Fakirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Best bet is to look on Schumacher site to car specific spares list to find needed part

for Mi3:
http://www.racing-cars.com/scp/Old_C...rtname1=partno

for Mi1:
http://www.racing-cars.com/scp/New_C...rtname1=partno
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Just to clarify why there are black and grey belts - black are stiffer and are used mostly for modified where grey ones are softer and cause less drag so they are used in stock classes. OFC black belts survive more than grey belts
Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Many thanks dude, I thought they would have depended on what spur you were running.

My MI1 is a drift/bashing car for I'd be better with a gray belt? It only has a 21x2 drift motor in it.

My MI3 has a Orion Vortex 3.5 brushless in it, so I'd be better with a black one for it?

I'm in no rish as I've fried my ESC in the Mi3 and i'm struggling to get another within my budget, paydays 16 days away
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I belive Mi1 has only rear belt in grey available. I would get in your place black belts - they'll last more and for bashing and drift they'll be better. Grey belts are great if you are trying to achieve super low friction transmission to get most out of the stock motor which has only limited power.

Anyway belts are car dependent. At least I haven't seen different lengths of belt for one Schumacher car.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

Ah, just there were a number of belts on eBay stating ''264T belt'', ''170T belt'' etc.

I'll just stick to buying off Schumacher themselves to save any hassle.

Completely off topic but from reading your signiture you seem to be pretty clued up about RC. If I were to buy a cheap Hobbyking ESC to run my 3.5T Orion brushless motor, how do I work out what Amp ESC I need?

It's just as a stopgap until I can afford a Tekin RS.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Tech Master

You won't be able to use a Tekin RS with a 3.5T motor. Even with the RS Pro model, 3.5T will overheat the ESC pretty quickly.

In a 4wd TC I wouldn't go below 7.5T for the RS and maybe 5.5 for the Pro. Even then it would be questionable on a warm day.

Tekin works fantastic for the boosted stock classes. Not known to be great for Mod.

LRP, Speedpassion, GM, Nosram, ORCA. Check out those companies for their mod capable ESCs. Even with them, 3.5 is pushing it.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakirr View Post
Ah, just there were a number of belts on eBay stating ''264T belt'', ''170T belt'' etc.

I'll just stick to buying off Schumacher themselves to save any hassle.

Completely off topic but from reading your signiture you seem to be pretty clued up about RC. If I were to buy a cheap Hobbyking ESC to run my 3.5T Orion brushless motor, how do I work out what Amp ESC I need?

It's just as a stopgap until I can afford a Tekin RS.
Do you really want to run 3.5T? By your talk I'm not absolutely convinced that you can handle it (maybe I'm wrong). I would get something that is common class round your place.
Anyway if you want to stick with that motor - 120A Xerun is what you want. Recommend to put in 0 degree blinky software - will be still plenty fast and you won't push it as much. Fan on speedo all the time.

Edit: even with 120A Xerun 3.5T is on the edge by looking on specs listed on Hobbywing page. It's lowest you can go with that speedo and it's mentioned with 6 NiHM cells, with lipo it will be probably too much as they generate more power.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakirr View Post
I have a Schumacher MI1 and MI3 here atm and the main belt on the MI1 looks like it's seen better days.

I want to buy front/rear replacements for both of them but eBay has hundreds of tooth combinations and I dont have a clue what belts I would need?

How do you calculate this? Or how do I know what belts to get?

Many thanks,
Simon.
Get the OE belts, you'll get a good price from A Main Hobbies
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

I have absolutely no need for the Orion 3.5T motor, It just came with my chassis and has never been used. I'd be happy with a 9.5T Brushless tbh.

I'll order a few parts here and stick that motor in the forsale section or eBay and get a 9.5T package.