R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default The DIRTY run down in R/C

My suggestion for you is to start off with something that is RTR (Ready To run). You [usually] get a car that is prebuilt with a radio installed, batteries, charger, servo, esc, motor and pre-painted body.

If you don' get a RTR car then you have to buy everything separately and you will exceed your $800 budget.

If you start off with an RTR car and you bash it around, when it breaks, and it WILLLL break, you will go to your Local hobby Shop (LHS) and get replacement parts and FIX IT YOURSELF.

Every single aspect of this hobby requires: tuning, setup, soldering, screwing, unscrewing, again and again and again. Every single aspect requires tuning and tweaking from putting a car kit together all the way to trimming, painting and fitting a lexan body. If you don't have the proper scissors or xacto knife this will be a COMPLETE failure.

I think something like this will be a good start for you:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Car-4WD-RTR

100 guys here will argue to get HPI, Yokomo, etc.. It doesn't matter, if you want to spend less money, do it If you want to spend more, go for it. I like Team associated stuff, very solid stuff and and easy to get a hold of replacement parts when stuff breaks.

It sounds like you know nothing about the hobby and I will go over a few main things. I am an amateur so please insert comments and correct me just don't be rude.

VERY SIMPLE EXPLANTIONS:
ESC - Electronic speed controller - Accepts signal from your radio for throttle/braking. basic ESC's will do just that the better, more expensive ESC's are fully programmable, have smoother operation, faster response, accepts sensored and not sensored motors, etc..

Motor - makes your car go
  • Brushed - motors have brushes that have to be replaced every several runs
  • Brushless - Motors are brushless and no need for constant maintenance
Motors are rated in terms of turns, rpms, etc...

Trasmitters - They have AM, FM and 2.4ghz. Think about it like a regular radio, AM sounds like crap, FM is better and 2.4 is like HD radio, the best. If you are on AM or FM you have crystals with channels on them so if your radio is channel 27 and you go to a track, park or whatever and someone there also has a 27mhz crystal your cars will go crazy cuz of the interference. 2.4ghz are the best, the radio talks to the receiver in the car and they find a channel that isn't being used and you will have less interference.

If you get an RTR car you can enjoy it immediately, once you learn how everything works you can start upgrading by getting a new body, a brushless motor and esc combo, lipo batteries, new radio, etc...

When you have upgraded the car by yourself and you want to get a new car you buy a new chassis and you can just take out all of the electronics out of your car and drop it in your car. You can have one ESC and change the motors as you need to. You may enter a race where you have to use a 17.5 turn motor this makes it fair where everyone uses the same turn motor, you can get a novak or a tekin or whatever, they may both be 17.5 but one can get to the higher rpm's faster which may make you faster.

When purchasing an esc make sure it accepts lipo batteries, brushless motors and check the maximum Turn Motors the ESC will handle. You can get a package, motor and esc combo for a good price.

I jumped from car to buggy, to car, from Nitro to Electric and never really drove anything long enough to learn how to really drive and set anything up so I sold almost everything I have and bought myself a setup for an on-road electric and will only concentrate on that. When I learn that I will upgrade to a better roller.

Someone's signature on this forum is "This hobby will $5 buck me to death" and he is 100% right!

You want a new body, you need a body, reamer, scissors, sand paper or dremel tool, paint, xacto knife and paint, do you want 1 color, 3 colors, a flip flop paint scheme, racing stripes, liquid masking tape to make your own designs, you cut out a body wrong and you need a new one. To make a body your into it almost $100 or just buy a painted body by a pro like Phat Skeems for around $65 or whatever the going rate is nowadays.

you want a new motor and esc and you get a combo but it has no connectors attached so you need a soldering gun, flux, solder, connectors a steady hand and patience lol

Make youtube your friend, there are guys there that show you how to score a lexan body with an xacto knife and then just break it apart and it works great. You can learn from youtube, pros, friends, forums but you will only learn when you try. The first time I took my $2000 Mugen MRX-5 1/8 scale Nitro out on the road I drove it as slow as possible because one wrong turn and BOOM need to spend $100 in parts. I crashed it bad after 5 minutes, went to the hobby shop spent over $150 - I was not happy.

One more note - If you will mostly be driving on regular roads, streets, parks, etc... there will be little pebbles everywhere and that will cause damage to your motors, belts, shaft drives, etc... So if you will just be bashing get a 4wd RTR: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ggy-Type-4-RTR

1/10 scale is like the main scale or at least I consider it to be the main scale. 1/8 scale is more advanced, 1/12 is usually carpet racing, and anything smaller is fun to tease your dog and/or cat lol. 1/18 racing is fun. racing the Tamiya Mini is really big in this hobby. they have mini-z racing which are tiny little cars and they have small tracks with competitive racing.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavey_King View Post
Anymore help guys? I would appreciate it
Yeah, ignore everything thats been said above and do what most beginners do, go buy yourself a Ready To Run car, some drift tires for drifting, some road tires for racing and some cheep tires for parking lot bashing.

Join a club that is close to you for drifting and onroad racing, go hang out, have some fun, chat and learn to drive, then in 1 or 2 years time if you are still in the hobby and having fun, start doing what the guys who have posted above have said, but do it in relation to what cars are good at that time.

Just as an example, i race a car that comes in a RTR form for less than $200, added some lipo batteries and good quality charger, a bunch of Sorex tires and some pinion gears and a new shell. Total cost, less than $400 and in the classes that i run in at my local club I am pretty competitive, beating many people with $1000+ setups. Oh and i have not broken anything yet, the car goes well and is very reliable.

Being new it really does not matter so much what car you drive, there is a really long learning curve no matter what you buy and what your budget is. Mostly get a car, preferably one your hobby store stocks and has plenty of parts for and experience with, get into a club, meet people and have fun, if and when you manage top drive a qualifier without having to be marshaled then you know you are actually getting somewhere and then are ready for better cars that will push your performance and skills along.

And +1 to Onetrade who has said everything i did and sniped me with the post
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Ty OneTrade and RogerDaShrubber. Which RTR Do you recommend, TT01 or tc4?
Wavey_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #19
Tech Addict

That's a very good question....

TT01 is a great for beginners, in Staten Island they have racing and a nice beginner class with all TT01's. They only use stock motors with very minor allowed modifications like an aluminum engine meant and shaft drive. In the Staten Island track on race days they have a drift class, mini class, tt01 class, touring and some other stuff.

If you don't want to race in the TT01 class then get the TC4. The associated TC4 is an awesome RTR! I really like Associated stuff, easy to assemble, quality products, etc...

I recommend stopping by Brownies Hobbies in Staten Island, great shop, very friendly and the guys there explain EVERYTHING. Driving a car around a parking lot and bashing it is fun, racing is A LOT MORE FUN!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Tamiya TA-05 is a car I would suggest. Great for parking lot bashing, and still remain competitive on a race track. I love this car for that reason.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
Tech Addict

If you do not buy an RTR vehicle and you have never been in this hobby then this is what you will need in order to get your car up and running:

Car Kit
Motor
ESC
Servo
Radio transmitter (preferably 2.4ghz)
Receiver
Hex Tools (metric or US depending on the kit)
Wrench (4 way usually would work)
Body
paint(s)
Lexan Scissors
xacto knife
charger (may need power supply depending on charger)
Batteries (will need more than one as run times are around 15-20 minutes depending on pack, motor, ESC and usage)
Wheels
Tires
Tire Glue
Rubber Bands to glue tires (unless you purchase pre-mounted set of wheels)
Drifting and regular touring tires are different so if you want to do both you will need a set of each.
connectors for batteries, esc and motor
Soldering gun
AA Batteries for transmitter unless you want to get a battery for it

Go to a website such as Amain and just start adding to the shopping cart all the stuff you will need to get your car running, it will get expensive.

I am definitely missing some stuff

(When I purchase esc and motor I try to buy a combo and if they have deans plugs connection then I try to get a deans plug Lipo so that I won't have to solder)

I bought a slightly used 1/10 touring car here on RCTECH for $150
a new Motor, esc, lipo, body, paint, wheels, etc for $450
used transmitter and receiver from the forums for $250

I already have a bunch of motors and esc's and all equip needed but I wanted a new radio and a motor and esc for this car and I spent $850, mind you radio and car are used and I have a charger and a few extra batteries and knife, etc...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I'm gonna get TT01 ... Now I'm back to suggestions and where to buy them online for cheap...ETC and battery nd charger
Wavey_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavey_King View Post
I'm gonna get TT01 ... Now I'm back to suggestions and where to buy them online for cheap...ETC and battery nd charger
For batteries, LIPO is the GO! hobbyking turnigy branded would be more than fine, i have 4 of these batteries and they work perfectly and at 1/4 of the cost of branded batteries.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14696

Do not skimp on the charger however, if you can afford it, get a LIPO charger that can charge 2 batteries at one time, also take some time to read up about LIPO batteries, how to charge them and look after them etc.

The T01 is a good beginners car, once you start to get used to just driving on a track, take a read of this, http://www.ultimatetamiya.com/projec...-budget-racer/ someone who knows what they are doing has spent the time and effort in seeing what the TT01 can do and what is the best place to spend your money in upgrades, about the only thing i would add to his list is an alloy motor mount, heat and plastic just do not work together, and once you start gearing the car up, the motor will make more heat, thats the nature of physics, and that ally motor mount will help to get rid of that heat.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #24
Tech Addict

When buying a charger if it needs a power supply make sure to get one. I personally use a less expensive charger with a built in power supply.

I use this and love it! Compact, comes with a power supply, includes pretty much every type of connector for charging and balance.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Power-Supply

You should always balance charge your Lipo batteries. With the Venom charger you need to plug in the balance taps of the battery as well as the discharging leads.