R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #241
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run electric I've run the spectrum outdoor and indoor, on tracks that have notorious glitching sections, and not once have I had a problem with the unit. And I have not even installed the extra cap. I do run Keyance ESC's and I've used it with GT7's as well. Digital servos also. Not one problem.

Like TonyWest said, it's so cool to not have to worry about someone having your clip, asking what frequency someone is on, etc... Saturday a couple of us were teasing a friend who hasn't got one yet. Every time they'd call out looking for a freq. clip we'd look at each other and ask, "what's a frequency clip? Donny, (the guy who didn't have one yet) do you know what a frequency clip is?"
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:23 PM   #242
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: You know for guys that are skeptical just dont buy it

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyWest
If you want to continue taking chances on someone cutting on there radio or waiting in line for a clip then go right ahead. It just seems to me that the guys that are against the spektrum truly want to run the system themselves and are just upset because they can't.
I you run electric with it you have to add a cap, so what. If you run a novak speedo you need a skotty diode and the big cap. LRP has had recals on there charger and I just sent back a FMA charger in which tech guy said they just blow up sometimes and we dont know why.
As far as taking chances, we've been doing it for years so don't act like it's an anomoly or something. Make some sense here. And you're damn right I want to run the system, but when I spend $200+ on the 'future of R/C', I WANT THE GODDAMN SYSTEM TO WORK! Am I wrong for wanting that? When I paid for the system, are they getting some counterfeit bills from me, HELL NO, it's hard earned cash. So don't give me this crap about how were they supposed to know, THEY are the ones marketing the system as having no compatibility issues. C'mon, give me a friggin' break. If I sold you some of my gear that wasn't up to snuff like I told you it would be, wouldn't you say something about it? Well I'm saying something about the Spektrum... I'm out -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

that is cool, but are you just wanting to rant or are you looking for a solution? I was ranting 2 weeks ago, but was ranting because i got nowhere with tech support. I then got a call from "the man" and he made my system work for me. So again. call horizon and work with them on a solution. most of the guys here have provided all the field patches that are out there right now.

I understand where you are coming from since i was in your shoes 2 weeks ago. what I fail to see in any of your post is that you calling horizon and working with them on getting it working for "you". Not everyone else you know, but "YOU". Rant all you wnat but if you are not working the other side of the fence. that being horizon, then all you are doing is being a cry baby, not trying to make your $200 work for you.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #244
Tech Elite

Default Re: It seems like more electric guys are having issues

Quote:
When guys ask me questions about it I tell them if you have glitching problems with your current equipment the speckturm wont fix your problem. Have you ever noticed it is always the same people who always get radio hits.

There is one guy at my track that has been racing for years and I dont think his motor has ever stayed on for a whole qual.
I beg to differ, we run nitro and at least 2-3 of my friends took the Spektrum's out. And not to pour more salt in to the wound, but doesn't Spektrum anyhow claim that the system operates above any mechanical glitching frequenices, therefore making it impervious to interference?

I hope also you're not pointing the statement above at me or my friends- we're all sponsored, just not by Spektrum. What about you?
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #245
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Kevin my statement was not directed at any one person

It was just a statement. But just for giggles who are you sponsered by. And how does being sponsered mean you are less prone to getting glitches. Since I have had the unit I have had one issue were the car stopped for 2 secs. This was indoors and at a track in which I usually dominate and I was running the spectrum for the first time there and I got worked that day. I can go blame the spektrum or I can blame the fact that I did not work on my car that week and the fact that one of the arms was falling of the car could been why the car was ass.

A guy got the spektrum for there JR and was having all kind of problems. I walked over and binding his receiver to my M8 and took the car for a quick spin without a problem. I think his problem had to do with the PPM mode or something. Now he would of come on here bashing it and it was him not the system.

Spektrum says the unit requires 6 volts not the 4.8 that the Q2 kicks out. Get mad at LRP not spektrum.
TonyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #246
Tech Elite

Default On another note

For people that say 2.4 is not the wave of the future. Hitec is coming out with a system and I held the nomadio this past weekend. 2.4 might be the future.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #247
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: Kevin my statement was not directed at any one person

Quote:
Spektrum says the unit requires 6 volts not the 4.8 that the Q2 kicks out. Get mad at LRP not spektrum.

Buy a Keyance: No more worries
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #248
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by theisgroup
that is cool, but are you just wanting to rant or are you looking for a solution?
Rant all you wnat but if you are not working the other side of the fence. that being horizon, then all you are doing is being a cry baby, not trying to make your $200 work for you.
That's what I call 'back-handed sympathy'.
Check yourself guy, this is still America isn't it. I can rant, bitch, complain, cry, whine and whatever the hell else I want to do. The point is this, read my posts over again- I DON'T HAVE THE SYSTEM BUT I WANT ONE. My 'rant' is fellow feeling for the folks out there who bought the system expecting no hiccups, that's all. It's all good At this point it's still a waste of $200+ -JB

Last edited by JayBee; 04-19-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #249
Tech Apprentice

Angry

Well, I finally got my defective DSM receiver back from Horizonhobby! Plug it into my buggy, hold down the little blue button, turn on the power and.... CRAP! Still doesn't work!

I plug in my working DSM receiver back into the EXACT buggy and it works. Hmmmm.... did Horizonhobby even try to repair my receiver?

I call up Horizonhobby, "oops!" they say. "Send it back and we'll fix it!" (again).

Now, I want someone out there to tell me that Horizonhobby is doing a good job? I'm pretty pissed off, I mean come on, how hard is it to plug an Rx into a damned battery and see how it lights up?

I know it's not my battery, and definitely not my transmitter module thats defective, since you don't even turn the transmitter on at first.

Just a warning to everyone, this early in the technology, you take a risk of not having a working unit, AND getting screwed during the repair process. So back it goes for another two weeks, with absolutely no guarantee of repair.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by kyoshojoe; 04-19-2005 at 07:26 PM.
kyoshojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:24 PM   #250
Tech Champion

Quality Assurance in action -JB

Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #251
Tech Addict

Default sucks

come down off your cloud cover does any body know any paid drivers other than todd hodge that use this piece of crap, get back in line and wait for the clip. nine times out of ten its not your car its the spitbomb module its junk fellas
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #252
Tech Rookie

Quote:
[i]

Spektrum says the unit requires 6 volts not the 4.8 that the Q2 kicks out. Get mad at LRP not spektrum. [/B]
Here is a copy of the specs page on Spektrum's site.

DSM Transceiver Specifications
Weight .40 oz./ 11.3 grams
Dimensions (LxWxH) 1.62x 1.06x.57"/ 41.2x 27.0x 15.3mm
Input Voltage 3.2- 9.6V
RC Channels 3
Current 40 mA @ 4.8V
Antenna length 8.5 in

As you can see the Input Voltage is from 3.2-9.6V. The current spec of 40 mA is rated at 4.8V. If the unite won't work on 4.8V why do they rate the draw at 4.8V. Besides, if it won't function on 4.8V there would be no mA drain to measure.
Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #253
Tech Elite

Quote:
It was just a statement. But just for giggles who are you sponsered by. And how does being sponsered mean you are less prone to getting glitches. Since I have had the unit I have had one issue were the car stopped for 2 secs. This was indoors and at a track in which I usually dominate and I was running the spectrum for the first time there and I got worked that day. I can go blame the spektrum or I can blame the fact that I did not work on my car that week and the fact that one of the arms was falling of the car could been why the car was ass.

A guy got the spektrum for there JR and was having all kind of problems. I walked over and binding his receiver to my M8 and took the car for a quick spin without a problem. I think his problem had to do with the PPM mode or something. Now he would of come on here bashing it and it was him not the system.

Cool thanks Tony. You just seemed to be intimating that we don't know what we're doing. None of us had problems before the Spektrums went in. My sponsors are what you see in my little box below my posts...

FYI if you guys run nitro be extremely careful regarding fuel reaching the receiver. A few drops hit mine in my 1/8th scale and now the case looks like dried up toothpaste.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 AM   #254
Tech Elite

Default Dont let gas hit the reciever the case will melt

Well it is a new product and with new technology comes problems. Remember the first caliber from airtronics. Mine had all kind of issues. I had 2 lrp sports that the specs said they should be able to handle the aplication I was using it for. Those did'nt work. The first siro motors carbs were garbage. I mean must I go on about bad RC products. Mugen 1/8th scale shock shafts. The list goes on and on.

Funny regardless what is said on here at my local track every week a new guy shows up with one and the hobby shops can't keep them in stock. Whether we like it or not there will be more guys on the local scene running spektrums that running regular stuff soon.

I had mine the first week it was out and all the guys that got theres with me had no issues. And I just bought a new receiver and no issues there either.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:58 AM   #255
Tech Apprentice

I have no beef with the technology. It IS the future. My beef is with how they handled the problem afterwards. I've still got a defective receiver "post repair". If they can't effectively track a RX during the repair process, what does that say about them?
kyoshojoe is offline   Reply With Quote