R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2005, 04:34 AM   #211
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good to hear that.
How much did you pay for the Spektrum set?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #212
Tech Rookie

Default ..

I think the future of RC will be bleak...... it's gonna be replace by personal RC home simulator. Everyone could connect together through internet and race simultaneously.

In the future, people are spending more time at home ( working, sleeping, playing, etc) because energy will be scarce and become alarmingly expensive in future. No more oil, No cars..... perhaps only the rich who could afford cars.

So guys... enjoy your life now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong, now don't take this wrong.. Im going to give a response coming from a guy that has been simulation racing online for 11 year's.

We have nascar simulation's that get pretty dagon close to thing's as it is, Aero loose,push, setup's... ect ect.

The physics engines are still year's away from being close enough to real life for people to switch from RC racing to a computer.

On top of this the money to run 3 monitor's for vantage point's and the cost is almost twice what it is to run good in one RC car class.

I have the best of everything for sim racing and I am making the switch FROM sim racing TO RC racing.

With sim racing your stuck indoor's, bottled up, no other people around.

There is VOIP-voice over IP program that allow's you to talk to them by pushing a button on your force feedback wheel set's.

You can even have live spotter's and crew cheif's.

But we are atleast 5-10 year's away from seeing a simulation and hardware that provides an experiance good enough to make people WANT to stay bottled up indoor's: That is as affordable as RC racing anyway's.

It would almost have to be as believeable as plugging yourself into the matrix.

I have 2900 dollar's in all the stuff it takes me to win races in big sim racing.

I have only 800-1000 in my EDM and truck both.
Room502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #213
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I still love mine....No Problem unless you count my own stupidityLOL
Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #214
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Got the Spektrum for my R-1, will be testing tomorrow... cannot wait !!!!
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #215
Tech Apprentice

I'm loving my DSM in my R-1, but when I ordered an additional Receiver, it was defective
kyoshojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:09 AM   #216
Tech Adept

Default Spektrum Problems

My Father and I bought 2 spectrum modules and a total of 5 receivers. We are using Futaba 3PJ Radios. We ran outdoor asphalt road course Yesterday. My practice and qualifier was fine but in my second qualifier and main it kept going into fail safe and would stop or it would go in jerks straight then left. It seemed to do this about 2 mins into the race. (Monster stock motor, Quantum 2 Speedo, Xray car). My father's did it everytime new out of the box everytime he ran. His would do it about 1 min into the race. We tried binding them again and no help. We also have 2 NTC3 and they did the same thing. Would work great and then go to failsafe then out. So now we 600.00 poorer and couldn't even race. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of anyone else??
SlickZero.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:54 AM   #217
Tech Apprentice

Yikes! I almost kept my 3PJ to use with DSM. I went R-1, because it came out earlier.

Well, if it's all your receivers, then it's either your transmitter module or something breaking the signal (low voltage on the battery?) But I don't buy that, because I've ran my DSM all the way down until the radio shutoff. Range was reduced.

Try putting in a fresh battery and keep an eye on your transmitter voltage. I think it's the module though

You going to have to mail the module back to horizonhobby for repair. If it's both modules, then I'd send everything back to them (insured, tracked) with a letter explaining the problem.

Good luck, when DSM works it's great, but I'm seeing ALOT of defective items out there.

Also, did you bind the receivers at home, away from the track or any other place where possible bindings aren't happening?
Joe

Here's the email I got from horizon:
Dear Sir,

If possible, go ahead and send the receiver into our
service department. They will look the receiver over
and then they will take what steps they need to get
you taken care of. Send the receiver to:
Horizon Service
Attn: Spektrum Service
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822

Make sure you include a note explaining what
problems you are having with the receiver and if
possible, a copy of the receipt from when you
purchased it.
Hope this information is helpful for you,
Steve
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
877-504-0233
[email protected]
kyoshojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: Spektrum Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by SlickZero.com
My Father and I bought 2 spectrum modules and a total of 5 receivers. We are using Futaba 3PJ Radios. We ran outdoor asphalt road course Yesterday. My practice and qualifier was fine but in my second qualifier and main it kept going into fail safe and would stop or it would go in jerks straight then left. It seemed to do this about 2 mins into the race. (Monster stock motor, Quantum 2 Speedo, Xray car). My father's did it everytime new out of the box everytime he ran. His would do it about 1 min into the race. We tried binding them again and no help. We also have 2 NTC3 and they did the same thing. Would work great and then go to failsafe then out. So now we 600.00 poorer and couldn't even race. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of anyone else??
not a nitro person, but on the quantum2, i believe that the becs in the speedo do not provide enough power to the receivers. You will have to run a cap on the receiver to stablize teh voltage. you may have also gotton some of the first rev of receivers. if they took more then a couple of seconds to bind. send them back to horizon and they will reprogram the receiver for you.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #219
Tech Adept

Thanks for your reply's. I did bind them at home and at the track. They did take a few seconds to activate so I guess they are the first batch. I guess Spektrum wanted to be like Microsoft and let the customers work out the bugs. Also as far as the Quantum 2 goes why would Horizon/Spektrum release a product that wasn't compatable with one of the most popular speedo's? I think they needed to do some more homework.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #220
Tech Elite

I am not sure I would put them in the same boat as Microsoft. Spektrum has on their site info about the problems with the transcievers. They obvious can not contract everyone. They don't know who purchased the systems. I am sure that they made the lhs aware of the service that is needed on some of the first batch of receivers. As far as release fo rthe q2, there probably is no spec in the market that says what the bec output should be. there probably is not even a min. amount. then you have to look at the manufactures and how they interpret this min amount. I think you should go to lrp and ask why they put out inferior products. there are very few esc's that put out too little for the specktrum to work. your q2 just happens to be one of them. I have 7 keyence and all of them work well.

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
Old 04-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #221
Tech Rookie

I just wanted to add to SlickZero.com's post. On my electric touring car after 2 or 3 minutes it just stopped. When I returned to the pits it worked when I turned the steering to the right. When I would turn left it would go full left, center, left, center. Just would go back and forth in timed (about 1/2 second) intervals. When it went left it would "blip" the throttle. As soon as I would turn right it worked fine. This was sitting on a work stand and the battery was reading 7.8v. I could turn it off for about 15 minutes and then it worked fine for another 2 to 3 minutes and then would stop. Same thing, I could hold it up and as soon as I would start to add left it would start cycling again. As long as I held a little "right" the throttle worked and steering was proportional.
I had just taken out my PCM which I had no problem with and installed my "new Spektrum".
One other thing I notice when I installed them in my electric and nitro cars the steering was way off to the left on both. I had to go almost full right trim to center.
My nitro worked better but it went into failsafe several times after about 4 minutes in the first qual. In the second qual after about 3 minutes it went into failsafe at the end of the straight. No brakes!! Then it was very erratic so I pulled it off for safety reasons.
I know we can send them back but after spending all that money and traveling 50 miles to race it was a big disappointment! Dumb me left the PCM modules and receivers in the shop. We were just stuck.
Bret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #222
Tech Elite

I first bough spektrum about 2 months ago. I was ticked. My servo and speedo cycled on and off as decribed earlier. Then I had a novel idea, plug a capacitor into the receiver. Wal-la (viola) everything worked perfectly. I even just purchased another "updated" receiver that does the same thing. Put in the cap, and presto perfect operation. Small price to pay for what you get in return. No Glitching, no clips, no waiting, NO GLITCHING whatsoever. Awesom!!

Just plug in a cap. 3300 mf at 6 volt or 4700 at 10v.

Note: I am using Quantum Comp 1/2

PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #223
Tech Elite

the symptoms that you are see are a good indicator of low voltage to the receiver. as pitcrew said the cap will help. I had a similar problem this weekend, and found that my receiver pack had a shorted cell. replaced it after the first qual and never looked back. the specktrum worked flawless after that.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #224
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by PitCrew
I first bough spektrum about 2 months ago. I was ticked. My servo and speedo cycled on and off as decribed earlier. Then I had a novel idea, plug a capacitor into the receiver. Wal-la (viola) everything worked perfectly. I even just purchased another "updated" receiver that does the same thing. Put in the cap, and presto perfect operation. Small price to pay for what you get in return. No Glitching, no clips, no waiting, NO GLITCHING whatsoever. Awesom!!

Just plug in a cap. 3300 mf at 6 volt or 4700 at 10v.

Note: I am using Quantum Comp 1/2

Can you give me a little more info on these capacitors. Thanks.

Also as far as compatability with a Q2 I have one in my T4 and it works fine with Spektrum.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #225
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
I'm starting to think these Spektrum systems are garbage, I mean, I know folks who got the 'supposedly' GLITCH-FREE second batch systems and they're still having problems. I don't care what the excuse is... research & development means just that, RESEARCH IT THEN DEVELOP IT! It seems like there is ALOT of wasted time and money by Horizon fixin' and returning these items to people. How long has this been going on, I mean DAMN, maybe they should've waited 6months and addressed these problems after putting these systems into the hands of a few more everyday drivers.
Sorry for the vent but I've been following this thread and a couple of others and 60% or more of the comments are how these systems are not working. Why does the customer have to figure out compatibility issues? I think the Microsoft analogy is SPOT-ON...Oh, and have nice day -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote