R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #46
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 263
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turbo4age
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
i kinda have to agree with that, im my offroad buggy with a 4.5t jumping triples the car remains flat even at full throttle, if shaft drive effect tq steer the car would try and turn sideways or do something funky in the air.

if i hold my buggy in my hand and floor it it goes up and down just like my belt TC. not saying that TQ steer doesnt exist but i always thought it came from unequal shaft lengths as stated before.
the truck stays flat because of the significant gyroscopic effect created by the large wheels and tires. kind of how a bike/motorcycle always wants to stay UP while riding.
__________________
everything... nearly everything
turbo4age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Wow...would love to see some of that stuff...

You wouldn't happen to have ever raced at a hobby shop called "One Stop", would you? Was in Los Alamitos many moons ago. LOL

Forgot about the reverse motor issue...I remember looking into Hyperdrives but never had the money for it...I think the reverse motor/flipped motor setup was an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
WOW....One Stop! I raced there many times over the years...what a fun place but you had to be on your game when you drove there. I understand that the track is still in the back of the building! It was just to much for them to remove, so I've heard. Drove by the place a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if they would let me look in the back to see if the track is truly still there?
Was there a couple of times back in the day. The banked oval was killer! (quite steep) I remember buying an Agitator gearbox conversion for an RC10 from there which I later traded to a buddy for an Optima Mid.

Any of you guys remember racing ABC around the corner from there back in the '90s?
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #48
Tech Regular
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
WOW....One Stop! I raced there many times over the years...what a fun place but you had to be on your game when you drove there. I understand that the track is still in the back of the building! It was just to much for them to remove, so I've heard. Drove by the place a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if they would let me look in the back to see if the track is truly still there?
I've heard that same rumor...tell you what, you distract them and I'll go look then we'll switch! LOL YR4dude...I figured if you lived in So Cal and raced at the 'drome that you would have been by One Stop a time or two. Was kind of THE oval to race at for a while.

And they didn't call it "One-Slam" for nothing...one slam into the wall usually resulted in needing replacement parts. That was my home track until they closed. Raced there in the dirt then on the asphult when they paved it. The oval was so bad because turns 1 and 2 were highly banked but 3 and 4 were "flatter" so people would go blistering through 1 and 2 easily but their car would be too loose or tight for 3 and 4 and...WHAMO...into the wall. Had to set up for 3 and 4.

Raced a ROAR series race back then once...six races...three oval, three road course. One-Stop, Bob and Jims in Riverside, Yorba Linda, Camirillo, Bakersfield on the big 1/4 scale oval, and one other road corse track that I can't remember. Finished second overall in Novice for that one. ROAR came in, tried to tie into One-Stop's lap counting system...and fried it. LOL Ahhh...memories.

And I ran ABC a couple of times. When I first heard of them I thought they were at One Stop's old location...

...we go from slipper clutches to torque steer to hyperdrive to the old So Cal On-road scene...hello tangent!
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
Tech Adept
 
katana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 193
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Wow...would love to see some of that stuff...

You wouldn't happen to have ever raced at a hobby shop called "One Stop", would you? Was in Los Alamitos many moons ago. LOL

Forgot about the reverse motor issue...I remember looking into Hyperdrives but never had the money for it...I think the reverse motor/flipped motor setup was an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
WOW....One Stop! I raced there many times over the years...what a fun place but you had to be on your game when you drove there. I understand that the track is still in the back of the building! It was just to much for them to remove, so I've heard. Drove by the place a couple of weeks ago, I wonder if they would let me look in the back to see if the track is truly still there?
I normally lurk around on here. But when I saw One Stop! I had to reply. Used to raced and hung around there all the time. Great little track and you're right that you really have to pay attention especially the turn marshals All the fast guys (well I thought they were) pitted at the corner under the announcer (was his name Hal or something?). I always find that interesting, are they hiding something It was a great place for me to learn the RC world. I mainly raced stock class due to my budget (the lack of). And don't forget the Volcano burger a walking distance from there too. Good ole time.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #50
Tech Regular
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana View Post
I normally lurk around on here. But when I saw One Stop! I had to reply. Used to raced and hung around there all the time. Great little track and you're right that you really have to pay attention especially the turn marshals All the fast guys (well I thought they were) pitted at the corner under the announcer (was his name Hal or something?). I always find that interesting, are they hiding something It was a great place for me to learn the RC world. I mainly raced stock class due to my budget (the lack of). And don't forget the Volcano burger a walking distance from there too. Good ole time.

Chances are you and I may have raced against one another. LOL Never really had an identifying sceme on my car but during the 1992 year I ran a Number 7 Alan Kulwiki Army Ford T-bird like the one he had at Daytona that year. Buddy of mine painted that one...black back half and "desert camo" front half.

The owner's name was Steve Schuler and I THINK Steve Baker did the race announcing. Steve Baker later went on to work at HPI in Customer Service.

We're hijacking this thread pretty bad...let me start a new thread on this and folks who use to race there can reminise.

New thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ay-so-cal.html

Last edited by Robotech; 07-07-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #51
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
My understanding of torque steer is it has little to do with the belts or shafts of the car. It is all about the orientation of the motor in the car. Hold a motor in your hand and give it full throttle. It will try and twist in your hand. The same thing happens in your car. Those forces have to go somewhere. In shaft driven cars the motor is mounted so the twisting forces are side to side. In belt cars the forces are front to back. The torque steer will only happen under hard accelerating or braking. There is no actual steering of the front wheels. 1:1 cars have this also there is a reason motors do not bolt directly to the frame. There are motor mounts that allow the motor to kind of float. I have seen 1:1 drag cars with the front wheels lifted into the air and the frame is twisted from the torque. Look at a Semi truck accelerate with a very heavy load, one side of the front bumper will lift higher than the other.

If you keep a motor at a constant rpm or slowly change rpm the motor does not try to twist. Now how much these forces really effect the car is hard to say. As others have said for the average driver they would not notice it. Top drivers will notice a subtle thing like this.
I don't have a PHD in physics, but.... this post hits the nail (mostly) on the head. The problem with shaft drive TCs isn't actually "torque steer" (which is an entirely different issue), it's reaction torque. When the driveshaft applies torque to the diff gears, the chassis reacts in the opposite direction. (Or maybe it's the reaction between the pinion on the motor and the spur gear. Not sure which, but I know that something twists the chassis.) Motor inertia doesn't mean much, it's the motor torque applied to the spur gear that effectively shifts weight from one side to the other.

Last edited by Kevin Marcy; 07-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #52
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 311
Default

thats why im thinking a belt so it won't be instant power to the wheels.What i read is a belt car.. the belt will stretch a bit so u have a smooth motion the shaft is instant so by putting a belt to the pinon to the spure it should help it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy View Post
I don't have a PHD in physics, but.... this post hits the nail (mostly) on the head. The problem with shaft drive TCs isn't actually "torque steer" (which is an entirely different issue), it's reaction torque. When the driveshaft applies torque to the diff gears, the chassis reacts in the opposite direction. (Or maybe it's the reaction between the pinion on the motor and the spur gear. Not sure which, but I know that something twists the chassis.) Motor inertia doesn't mean much, it's the motor torque applied to the spur gear that effectively shifts weight from one side to the other.
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Shaft drive touring now ioxqq Electric On-Road 53 01-05-2010 06:28 AM
Shaft Drive TC Yub, yub, cmdr! Electric On-Road 133 04-15-2007 11:22 AM
Prototype Xray 007 Shaft Drive Barry White Electric On-Road 38 03-11-2007 07:08 AM
Shaft Drive or Belt Drive? dino.tw Nitro On-Road 109 05-25-2004 11:04 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net