Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

GT8 Lite

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

txaggie08 - Pick up some E-Revo shocks off ebay and take turns as fast as you can before tires slide out! It'll still perform with stock shocks too but E-Revo's are maintenance free, REAL stiff, and REAL low stance. Ran that setup on the Cocoa Speedway oval in 1:8th class with 4cell pushing 2400/MMP setup late last Summer/Fall. Took 2-90-degree inside lines on acrylic coated hardpack clay track faster than a drift line!

This was with battery all the way forward (a no-no) and Losi stock dirt oval tires (another no-no on this track) so rear was real loose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YQItYZxn0JI

Just picked up a Proline Desert Rat body today to convert the Backslash back over for some on-road exhibition runs at local HobbyTown Melbourne, Florida parking lot track! On 4cell w/1900/RX8 setup (1:8th motors in SSC chassis belong on-road since motor can is 2mm above bottom pan...).
Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any chance of you bringing some shock towers out that are wider, but not taller, with adjustable body posts? Those would be the shiznit for a little more tuning. This chassis is awesome, Im just having issues with hardware stripping atm
Old 01-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

txaggie08 - I like the sound of that. After we get over this production round, may just have to add shock towers with new front a-arms that match the rears to the development list.

Is your hardware stripping at hex head or threads? If at hex head check your wrench/allen for wear or take a muscle relaxer before cranking down bolts. Only SS-steering posts are sensitive to their hardened bolts. Also, threads go thru the arm blocks to either lengthen the screw or lengthen even longer and add a locknut on the topside. My Engineering background/education geared me to build in multiple layers of protection so we're not stranded trackside. As long as you don't let that arm-block hardware get too loose and shear bolts (and I still finished the race day somehow when that happened once). I cannot stress how helpful layers of red locktite are. But I will start using longer arm block hardware soon (from 8mm up to maybe 12mm with red locktite applied to female threads via. suringe first.

Now I just need a set of belted 1:8th scale onroad tires that'll hold up to an SSC Slash 4x4 w/1:8th power on 4-cell for this on-road demo. I may even pull out my 8-channel AM futaba radio once again for some single stick smooth controlability (an old trick to making 4-minute mark w/1:10 4wd Optima buggy back in the '80's). Still have AM-crystals in my 'ole Plano tackle box. I'm looking forward to an on-road Super Short Course class for those of us that prefer our SSC Slash 4x4's on crack. Who thought Traxxas would have Supercar and Super Short Course platforms just 1-year ago? The car will have the straight line speed, and the truck will have the turning ability with plenty of speed for any on-road track out there...
Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Not really putting a whole lot of ass on them, and my wrenches are fairly new/not worn excessively. Red loctite is the devil however.

I'd love to see some on road/oval specific towers come about, that would rule. Especially if the used a tmax or revo style body post that could be adjusted up and down with body clips. I'd be all over some of those as soon as they hit.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Traxxas XO-1 Racer

Has anyone looked at using the Traxxas as a GT-8 racer???
Old 02-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
have anyone try the conversion kit on a 2wd slash, reason i'm asking i have 2wd slash that haven't been driven in 2 years..just wanna know ifany cons & advice?
+1 on this idea. i have an extra lcg 2wd i would love to try this on.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I am almost finished with my hyper10 sc conversion...wheel adapters, 17 mm foams/80wt shock oil/ pf8 body.the question here is to run equal with the gt8's...do you use 2s or 3s lipo and what motor ?
the gt8 nitro guys here are questioning ...they want me to run 2s...becausde the only elec gt8 has been kicking their buts on 4s
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buckshotrc00
I am almost finished with my hyper10 sc conversion...wheel adapters, 17 mm foams/80wt shock oil/ pf8 body.the question here is to run equal with the gt8's...do you use 2s or 3s lipo and what motor ?
the gt8 nitro guys here are questioning ...they want me to run 2s...becausde the only elec gt8 has been kicking their buts on 4s
If u want decent top speed, run a 3s lipo setup with a tekin pro4 3300kv motor or equivalent!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

so the strc kit is a must to convert the slash into a gt8? and I wonder if an mmp with a 3800 4pole geared would suffice?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by derbrylac
so the strc kit is a must to convert the slash into a gt8? and I wonder if an mmp with a 3800 4pole geared would suffice?
Not a must but makes for an easy conversion. All u would really need to get started is 17mm wheel adapters to run 1/8 onroad wheels, an onroad lid, spacers or shorter shock shafts to limit suspension travel. From there u can try to find a suitable front bumper and modify it to fit right. The mmp w/ 4pole 3800 sounds great! Im looking to convert a Nexx 10SC. It'll have a shorter wheelbase and narrower width. I would figure it would handle great on shorter tighter more technical tracks!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Rookie

mostly done with hyper 10sc conversion...turned frt mid and upper part of front bumper
upside down...left rear bumper in place, pf8 body ( ( it is a bit wide.., proline 17mm adapters,80wt oil all around...lower suspension ..no tubing spacers yet ofna blue foams for now...gonna try it against the gt8's next sat.. on a 2s 10.5...they are already freaked out because 1 of them converted a ofna buggy and is running 4s 2200 and kicking their butt's..
Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Rkk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buckshotrc00
mostly done with hyper 10sc conversion...turned frt mid and upper part of front bumper
upside down...left rear bumper in place, pf8 body ( ( it is a bit wide.., proline 17mm adapters,80wt oil all around...lower suspension ..no tubing spacers yet ofna blue foams for now...gonna try it against the gt8's next sat.. on a 2s 10.5...they are already freaked out because 1 of them converted a ofna buggy and is running 4s 2200 and kicking their butt's..
When I converted my Slash 4wd the stock Velenion (sp) was competative on 2S and a smoaker on 3s. Just watch your temps.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Regular

Is it posible to make a hyper 10tt into a gt8 lite?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aquito
Is it posible to make a hyper 10tt into a gt8 lite?
The wheelbase is short. Around 279mm.
Most short course trucks have a wheelbase of around 320mm.
You may not be able to find a body.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Hey Guys. I've almost sold my Slash 4x4 about 5 times and i'm trying to justify keeping it.

I am looking forward to the STRC Conversion for onroad and for some fun, the new Rally Body from Proline allowing me to be able to play elsewhere with this platform. So i've avoided it so far. I am looking at getting the STRC GT8 Conversion kit (obviously) to change my Slash out of my SC trucks (thus justifying keeping it!)
--------------
So before I begin. I am utterly new to the onroad scene and live up in Oregon, which (possibly) you may know is garbage for onroad racing. (barely tolerable for offroad even) I've done buggy and now into SC so I have a full grasp on going where I need to go to get things to push dirt.

My Current Slash 4x4:
Team RCE LCG Chassis
Proline Protrak kit (widens car: might be a possibility for you guys upset with how your bodies look!)
Castle 1415 w/ MMP Power System
Spektrum 6040 server (.08 speed)
STRC Steering kit
Center Diff

So I have a few questions: You don't need to give me paragraphs, i'd appreciate some simple direction! I'm honestly not looking to be taught onroad 101, only a little clarification in the right direction for this conversion so I can go from here.

Wheels and Tires. Is it hopeless to use TowerHobbies and Horizon Hobby for these? Are you guys using other kit's tires and making due with your conversions or?

Shocks. I see you guys are suggesting E-revo shocks. That sounds great. And if not, limiting the 1/10 shocks you have. No secrets here? something like 80wt to start ye?

Bodies. What is the actual size we're looking for in bodies? I know the Kyosho Gt8 bodies fit, but I see so many other bodies and not a single one I thought I was limited to? How are you hunting for the body? Guess and check?

I think that's the jist of it. As far as the rear of the slash 4x4. What about putting a front shock tower on the rear to bring it into spec with the front like typical cars? Anyone thought of this? I put the rear on the front for more droop back when I was using my slash in pro4. Just curious is the opposite will be beneficial.

As you can see, total onroad noob. Hoping to not be for long! Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.