R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Drift car VS touring sedan?

Whats the difference between a drift car and a touring sedan? is it just in the setup and tires or is it more than that? can you turn a drifter into a touring car and vice versa?
quik418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
Tech Master

Short answer is, and TC can be a racer or a drifter. Some are better than others, but as you mentioned, tires and suspension set-up are a fair bit of it.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Talking

There's no real difference mate. Its all in the set up and wheels, extra bling, stuff like that.

I swap my TC to a drifter and back all the time. Depends on the race meet.

Where did you learn to whisper?...A sawmill???
bobbitrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Default HPI has your answer!

Check out HPI's E10 chassis. It comes with the extra parts to move the motor/electronics around so you can make it a rear motor or mid-motor setup, this way it can be a drifter or a touring car, all in one box.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/105945/

I'm planning on getting the Vaughn Gittin Mustang soon, mainly because it's the new body Mustang, and if I suck at drifting I can just swap the internals around and make it a standard touring car!

HTH...
Mark
Traxxas Summit, Mustang Boss 302, and Ken Block Fiesta
Tamiya TB-02
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Majority of Drift chassis are made for stiffness, thats the reason the chassis like Yokomo, Tamiya,(seldom Team magic) are regulars because their chassis are very stiff. (hence the 2 deck and everything aluminum) The setups are completely different also. super soft springs, 30wt shock oil, spool in the rear and diff up front are a must. Some prefer a front one way, but It is a love/hate kinda thing.

Ive been rc drifting for about 6 years now, if you have any q's, pm me.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
TOJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hello Guys, just saw this thread and it's been a year since the last input on this subject, but now in 2012 Drift Chassis has advanced another step, most drift kits now have steering mechanics/design to steer in a more steep angle than what was standard in touring kits, New drift kits can now steer it's angle to almost the inner side of the outside steered wheel almost touch or even slightly touch the front shock/damper.

I'm just wondering if this steering mechanics/design with such steep inward & outward angle can be of benefit/advantage when use in touring cars (of course under touring set-ups tires/shock flluid/spring rate/camber/toe) will this steering design even improve your steering agressiveness using standard servo & closing the gap on using a hight speed servo on a standard touring kit?
TOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Tech Master

Drift chassis have the larger throw due to Countersteer drifting, you often need to steer in the opposite direction to calm the rear end. This is why they have the extra steering throw.

On a TC you will either have too much slippage on the tyres, or have soo much steering your rear end will swap around with the front.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
TOJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Drift chassis have the larger throw due to Countersteer drifting, you often need to steer in the opposite direction to calm the rear end. This is why they have the extra steering throw.

On a TC you will either have too much slippage on the tyres, or have soo much steering your rear end will swap around with the front.

Yes I believe on TC it will have too much steering angle if the maximum steering degree level is used during high speed runs. but of course u wont steer it to it's max degree on a high speed track, but on a tight & twisty track will it be an advantage against regular TC steering? let's say a Yokomo MR4tcSD CGM (TC version) against Yokomo MR4tcSD Type C (drift version) very steep steering angle.
Given that the steering wheels of the Drift version's Lock to Lock (right to left to right) has a steeper degree than TC version's steering, and on your transmitter wheel the turn is same degree because your servo's lock to lock remains same which means the steering ratio went higher so it became faster result with the same speed of your standard servo, so considering this that I'm wondering does this increase the steering feel (faster) closer to having a high speed servo installed while using a standard servo ?

In short will a drift spec steering have an effect of using a hight speed servo but still using a standard servo on a twisty TC track? transition from left to right & back becomes faster on a standard servo & if needed an extra steering to throw out your rear end a little to really turn-in on that tight apex turn, you have that extra turn angle on your steering wheel on hand. (instead of using a little break technique that reduces momentum) Any input? Drift spec steering might become a secret TC upgrade? hehe...
TOJ is offline   Reply With Quote