R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TC4 in beginner class

Would a TC4 be ok to run in a beginner class or are they too old?
quik418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik418 View Post
Of course it would be, the point about being a beginner is you are going to spend more time being marshaled than you are turning laps, so there will be no difference for you between a TC4, a rollerskate with a 10.5 turn brushless or a 3K high end factory car.

Just get a car and go out and have fun, learn how to drive, learn how to setup the car, repair the car, learn how different changes effect the cars handling, the effect of different tires and the list goes on and on.

You can do that with a tc4 or some Chinese hsp oem car that costs next to nothing, the main thing is having fun because you will out grow the car in time anyways and be looking for something that is faster and turns better and attracts more girls
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The TC4 is a great choice. It'll take you through the beginner stage all the way up to more experienced level racing. It's a much better choice than some "beginner" cars like the TT01 or E10 since you'll really get your money's worth when you add on performance parts. The TC4 was raced at the highest levels so it's a very capable chassis. Even today it's a great chassis for GT or VTA class racing.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
The TC4 is a great choice. It'll take you through the beginner stage all the way up to more experienced level racing. It's a much better choice than some "beginner" cars like the TT01 or E10 since you'll really get your money's worth when you add on performance parts. The TC4 was raced at the highest levels so it's a very capable chassis. Even today it's a great chassis for GT or VTA class racing.
And by the time that you have reached the potential of this car, 2 or 3 new models would have come out anyways, so why waste big money when there is no real gain in it for you.

Oh i guess i should say that I am an RC beginner also, i raced speedway and dirt track bikes for 20 years before i decided that my body was too broken to continue on, but i still like to race and be competitive.

I have 2 1/10th cars, the first is a Hobao GPX4 Pro, which is way to fast for me currently and rather than smash it up too much, it does not get too much use, the 2nd is an LRP S10 Blast TC, I run this in stock 17.5 turn, $100 buck chassis, its good enough, easy to drive and not that far off the pace of guys with much more driving skill and experience than me, in their hands its about 1.5 seconds a lap off their Schumacher MI4's, and it still has more in it because other than change the tires and a basic setup and gearing it has had nothing done to it, i do not even use traction compounds and the like which will help with mechanical grip.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik418 View Post
It is a great car even for non-beginners. I have raced one a couple of times on the local level to see how it compares to the latest TCs and it is competitive. There are only a couple of upgrades that I consider important but these can be added on down the road (spool and anti-roll bars).
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I only run tc4s , and I can tell you it's wicked fast!!! The is faster than me...lol...As I learn more about setups and weights, I have seen major improvements in lap times. With the Factory team kit tc4 I can say it is the best bang for the buck out there....I will never let them go....ahah...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote