R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Foam Tires

Long gone are the days of simple choices....green or blue compounds. Tire choices in 1/12 are key and is the simple biggest tuning on a pan car next to center springs and shock oil combinations.

I wanted to start a thread on the modern pan car 1/12 tire choices. Everything from compound choices, soft or firm, shore ratings and suggested tire dia's etc...

A few years back when brushed motors were the rage the most popular tire combo was greay rears and purple fronts, or the more aggressive Magentas all around. Now with the yellow grey dual combo's and black fronts I would like someone to help spell out what tire choices are best for 17.5, 13.5 and mod based on high traction conditions.

Thanks you

John

Associated 12r5.1 Yokomo R12 World's Hobbywing Team Fantom Spektrum
Pokey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Tech Elite

A lot of tire choice depends on the track.

At one track I race at the Magenta front and either grey low or yellow rears are the ticket. At the other track it's purple front and double pink rear. The car set up is the same.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

On carpet, black fronts and orange (or yellow) rears work fairly well in 17.5.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

What do most people do to their tires after purchasing them....I mean some people say you HAVE to glue CA the side walls and cut them down to 44mm rear and 42mm front? Or do most guys run them the purchased dia?

Does the stagger affect the cars tuning at all? Maybe I'm not using the right terminology but say what does that 44 / 42 combo drive like vs a 43 / 43 etc...push or aggrresive?

Thank you

Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Tech Adept

I run them as they come out the packet but run different rears each race then true them all to the same size once a week. Db pink front yellow rear till the grip comes up then magenta fronts works well. I put about a 3 mm line of additive on the inside edge of the fronts and full on the rear. As for diameter I just change my rollout as the wheels get smaller. This is running 5.5 brushless but worked ok 10.5 also.
I am far from an expert but this has worked for me so far.
I think the best tip I got was change a small thing at a time as with 12th a little change really makes a difference.
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

OMG! I can not be leave how much things have changed in 9 years or so when i use too race,1/10 Tamiya TA2,14T Brushed motor,F1 ESC. only had a few choices in Foams.Now very complex!,I mean it`s better,But hard too understand for newbies.I have just started building a new R/C too race again.And i tell you it`s so full on now.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Pink rear and dobble pink front , 44mm rear and 42mm front, CA clue on front side and contact clue just at the junction between rim and tyre on outside of rear. Helps to avoid chunks of the the tyre. Additive full rear (%3mm from outside) and max 1/2 front
johnsen-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

this is the 1/10 colour to shore rating guide,not sure if 1/12 is the same
Attached Thumbnails
1/12 Foam Tires-10th_foam_10.gif  
Xray T3
AE Sc10.2 AE SCB
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Tech Master

Size is somethig you can vary for your conditions. A larger tire will have more grip on a low traction surface. But the sidewall will flex more. This can make the car take a set in the corner then lose traction for a split second, then grip again. It can happen at the front or rear. Stabilizing the sidewall is why people use CA on the sidewall. On a very high bite surface gluing can help reduce traction rolls. And of course gluing helps reduce chunking for those of us who brush the occasional board. You have to try different things to see what works for you at your track.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Tech Elite

The key is to see what works at YOUR track, not my track or Joe's track. Find out what works at your track.

A smaller sidewall makes the tire more predictable by reducing squirm. The CA helps keep the foam on the wheel and in case you have a high grip surface keeps from traction rolling when the sidewall folds under.

I get my fastest laps when the rear is 42-43mm and the fronts are almost worn to the wheel (~39-40mm). I just checked the size of mine and that's where they measure.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

I have been to the different websites and reviewed the tire selections....how do the Parma Oranges compare to CRC yellows or Grey Lo's ? Whay are Blacks all the rage for fronts? I have magenta and purple fronts.

My local track Lou's RC Speedway is traditional ozite (proper spelling ?) carpet so it provides normal traction conditions. My car has been "letting go" on the rear end and is probably becuase the tire dia is large. I have since CA'd the fronts and the rears and that has gone now.

I'm being told to stay away from Magenta's but I have so many new pairs and the car seems to be fine now that I glued the edges. I'll true down a set to 43 rear and 41 front and see what it handles like. But I don't want to buy new tires each week just to trim off so much! It seems like a waste! I'm not sponsored or rich.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Tech Master

Blacks are the rage because they are very low grip. Less than purples and they don't gum up and get stickier during a run. At major races the traction level nearly always reaches levels you can hardly imagine if you haven't been there. When the traction rolls start, the blacks come out. You have to find what works for you at your track. Orange Parmas are equal to CRC Gralows. At my track, I run Orange rears and Lilac or Magenta front on a Serpent S120L. I start them at 46mm rear and 44mm front. I feel like I'm competitive, top 3 as often as not. The best thing to do is see what the fastest guys you race against are using and adapt that to your set up and style.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all your help guys!

John

Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you guys talk about blacks and yellows, which manufacturer are you thinking of?
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

black and yellow is a Jaco set up I often use
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote