R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default b4.1 road mod

i was wondering if there was anything i needed for my current setup because my esc blew up after changing it.

lrp sxx comp
ballistic 540 10.5
savox 1257tg
traxxas link 2 ch(from rustler vxl)

prior to it blowing i had a traxxas servo in it. 2075 from my rustler until my savox came. no problems but all of a sudden the servo change and it blew. im sending it in for warranty but i have purchased a novak gtb2 in the meantime. do i need to add anything just incase the servo is blowing my speedo?

i want to plan on running a 3.5-4.5t 540 motor. i modded a wheelie bar to fit on b4 and the front wheels dont come off the ground now so it can jump the line WOT thats why i bought the gtb2.

any help is appreciated. thanks
speedyb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

well gtb2 did the same thing as sxx comp. two speedos broke in a two week period.

im sick of them breaking. which speedo will handle a 4.5-3.5t?

i used the 4.5t on lrp and the 3.5 on gtb2 both are going be repaired.

i did what novak said to do with the gearing (81/19) for the gtb2 and i ran it down the block once. on return run to see temps it stopped and started smoking. the power/set wires melted and the power cap module dismanteled itself. looks bad and my body is all burnt up from the power wires.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

The GM120 will handle anything you can throw at it, peak current capacity of 800A. The entire thing is a heatsink and it has a fan.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
The GM120 will handle anything you can throw at it, peak current capacity of 800A. The entire thing is a heatsink and it has a fan.
where can i purchase this? i googled and found it to be discontinued.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Tech Master

Part of your promblem may be that as you are running on-road, and have a wheelie bar to aid traction, when you mash the throttle you will be send a huge current spike.
You can run more/bigger capacitors to help balance out the power delivery, but you are using big motors.
I'd suggest trying something like a 1/8 esc such as the Tekin RX8 (or similar). They will handle any 540 motor no problem.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Part of your promblem may be that as you are running on-road, and have a wheelie bar to aid traction, when you mash the throttle you will be send a huge current spike.
You can run more/bigger capacitors to help balance out the power delivery, but you are using big motors.
I'd suggest trying something like a 1/8 esc such as the Tekin RX8 (or similar). They will handle any 540 motor no problem.
my problem will be clearance. i checked them out already and the max i can fit was the gtb2 with the fan. it touches the top of the body. i think that is something like 26mm or something.

is there a body that would allow a bigger speed controller to fit under it?

i bought the FT b4 came with a crowd pleaser 2.0 i believe.

with the 3.5t i wasnt trying to jump the line tho. the 10.5 would do it perfectly. no heat issues either. now then i put the 3.5t in i eased into the throttle. i spoke to novak about it and they want the esc sent in plus the 3.5t motor and 4.5t stator because it blew up my lrp one as well.

now in the meantime has anyone had the problem with this setup with the savox servo(1257tg) glitching out? so far from when i was playing with it before it blew up it seemed fine but that was less than 5 minutes.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyb4 View Post
now in the meantime has anyone had the problem with this setup with the savox servo(1257tg) glitching out? so far from when i was playing with it before it blew up it seemed fine but that was less than 5 minutes.
Put a Capacitor on the receiver. You are pulling too much power from it.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
Put a Capacitor on the receiver. You are pulling too much power from it.
its not glitching yet. i was wondering if anyone has had the problem of it glitching with similar setup