R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Leading Edge 1/12 conversion car

I am happy to announce that the new Leading Edge 1/12 scale conversion chassis kit is almost ready for production. After much track testing and many changes we are putting the finishing touches on this chassis kit and are looking to start production this week.

Many of you may not know the Leading Edge name, we have been manufacturing competitive 1/10 and 1/12 oval chassis kits for 3 years. This project as with all of our products our #1 goal is to provide you with the best chassis kit possible.

Here at Leading Edge we do all of our design work and graphite cutting, kits and parts are always on hand ready for shipping.

We are looking into offering this kit in your choice of 2 different chassis plate thickness. No longer will the team only guys have this benefit.

If interested we have a few pictures of the latest prototype on our site. I am in the process of adding more and a more info. If anyone should have any questions feel free to ask, ether myself or one of the guys that have helped with this project will answer them. I would like to thank all of the guys that have helped with input and testing on this project.

Thanks
Dave Whitesel
Leading Edge
http://leadingedgerccars.com/

Last edited by LEracing; 11-23-2004 at 06:53 AM.
LEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default LE 12th Scale On-road Conversion Kit

Dave really has a GREAT product. I can't say enough about the new 12th scale LE conversion. The craftsmanship of the LE chassis and parts are top notch.

I've been running it in testing the past few weeks and the car is on rails. I won stock 12th this weekend by a large margin over 2nd place.

The car reacts very quick and is very stable in both low and high bite situations. I'm able to carry more speed through the corners with this car than with any car I have run in the past which is a long list.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the kit.

Michael Skeen
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hello to everyone. I've been helping Dave prototype this car and I am very pleased with what I ahev seen. The car is using the damper disks as this makes it much easier to convert what you currently have as well as keeping the price down. Plus when you look at the cars in recent years that have won national titles or have done well at "big" races they use the damper disks. The disks also seem to be more consistent

Some details on the car are as follows.

The chassis .100 graphite with the batteries running inline and as close to the t-bar as possible. This allows for the overall width of the chassis to be much narrower then most anything on the market. There are 2 small cutouts in front of the batteries as well as a cutout in the front for a servo saver. There is also a "LE" cutout in between the front suspension arms. These are put in place to take away soem weight from the thicker chassis and do not hinder the strength of the chassis. There is also a countersunk screw hole for a personal transponder in the front.

The lower pod plate is longer then a standard car so you can run a 100t spur and have no gearing issues. This longer pod also frees the car up and creates more traction. So much so that the car works best with 3 screws in the t-plate. Some say this well actually burn the rear tires off faster but in testing I have not seen it to be the case. The damper post is also moved to work with the longer plate and the rear brace is made out of chassis material to make the damper post area much more stable as well as the area for the rear body mounts.

The rear body mounts are moved further back so the body is more stable at speeds from defecting and optimizes rear end downforce.

The top plate is also designed in a way to add strength and be light at the same time to save unsprung weight.

The conversion is all the graphite parts so you don't have to go out and buy any new parts to convert your AE based car. There was talk of making it out of different colored graphite but the colored grahite is much thicker to get the desired stiffness of the thicker chassis.

Many people have always claimed that the so called factory drivers have chassises of different thicknesses so we have decided to offer two chassis thicknesses. We are still testing the thinner materials to see what is best but now you will have the ablitity to tune your car through chassis flex.

There are no bells and whistles involved to make the car look pretty or to run the price up. Leading Edge builds cars that work great with as little setup time involved so you can be on the track more. If you have ever seen one of the oval cars you will understand that it is a no nonsense approach and works great from the get go.

Feel free to ask any and all questions and I will tray and get some pics up too.

Brian Anthony
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Tech Master

You are exactly right Brian.

I have been able to put pretty much any size pinion on the car with a 100 spur. I have even thought about moving up to a 102 or 104 spur. I don't see any problems with going to a larger spur with this longer lower and top pod plate. I think there will still be plenty of room for the pinion gear. This could be very beneficial for stock racing.

I have measured several stock chassis from other big name manufacturers. The LE chassis is anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" narrower than most of the cars on the market right now.

I have also found that it is much easier to tape in batteries with the cells inline with the chassis. The cross brace is no longer in the way when you are taping in your batteries.

One other point to mention is that the overall wheelbase is the same as most of the other companies on the market. However, the difference is that Dave slightly shortened the main chassis and lengthened the rear pod top and bottom plates which gives the extra room for using larger pinions.

Michael
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Tech Master

Here are a few pics of the LE 12th scale On-road Conversion

Old 10-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #6
Tech Addict

well i have to say that this car looks to be one of the best rc12 conversions iv seen to date, do you know what it will cost and if you ship worldwide?
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
Tech Addict

also how is the servo fixed
I am seeing no servo posts or even holes in the chassis for posts
Old 10-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Company Representative

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Tempest2000: sup?

Nice pics very clean....

I heard rummor Skip having a big race at the new Marion track in Dec.
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
Tech Master

I mounted the servo flat. I use servo tape and then shoe goo at the corners. It' won't come loose. you have to cut the shoe goo to get it off the chassis.

I haven't talked to dave about making holes in the chassis yet for the angled servo mounts. It should be no problem. Just have to decide on where to put them. I personally like laying the servo flat though...

Dave will announce the price shortly. I'm sure he will be able to ship anywhere. I'll let him answer that for sure though.

Tres,

How you been man? Are they still going to have the Normal Dec race around Christmas time with Sean etc.? Keep us posted.

Michael Skeen

Last edited by Tempest2000; 10-12-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
Tech Addict

i also like mounting the servo flat. But would it be possible to make holes in the servo for normal touring car style servo posts?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by John_S
i also like mounting the servo flat. But would it be possible to make holes in the servo for normal touring car style servo posts?
The biggest problem with drilling holes for servo posts is not everyone uses the same size servo. It also seems as though everyone has there favorite system for mounting and all are a lil bit different.

I think the majority of people have switched to running the servo mounted on the chassis. It seams the gains in lowering the weight are better as well as you can still shim out the bump steer.

The best way I have found to mount the servo is to use servo tape on the bottom and then seal the edges with Shoe Goo or stuff called Automotive Goop. Atleast I think that is the name of it. This way you don't have to wait over night for the Shoe Goo under the servo to dry.
Brian Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

John

The retail price on the kit is $89.95 and yes we will ship them worldwide.

Thanks
Dave
Leading Edge
LEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:37 AM   #13
Tech Addict

kool , thats a really good price for the kit and thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #14
Tech Master

I will be attending the Norrca Nats with this car next month. For anyone in the Toledo area that wants to check out the car in person come see me at the track...

I've also scheduled for Cleveland on thanksgiving and Snowbirds in Feb. Can't wait to try out the car on high bite carpet!!!

Michael Skeen
Old 10-19-2004, 03:23 PM   #15
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tempest2000
Are they still going to have the Normal Dec race around Christmas time with Sean etc.? Keep us posted.
Every Sunday is a "Big" race at Marion Redline Raceway. There are no specific plans to have any special events at this point in time. Racing is already some of the most competitive around. No word from Sean yet if he is coming home for Christmas. If he does, or doesn't, we will still be racing

Bring those LE cars up for a stress time some time We always enjoy the company.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote