R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Remove Anodize

The best way to remove anodizing and leaving the aluminum finish in perfect shape (as it was before anodizing) is to use this solution. You can buy this at a chemical supply store. This is an actual ASTM procedure for testing the quality of Anodic Coatings on Aluminum.

Just do it in a safe area, not the kitchen and wear approved gloves and respirator from a safety supply store.

Start with 3.5 litres of pure water
add 140mL of Phosphoric Acid 85%
add 80 grams of Chromic Acid (Chromium Trioxide)
stir and add pure water to make up 4 litres of this solution.

Heat the bath solution to 190-200 degrees F

15 min soak and done. Rinse well in pure water bath and rinse under running tap or 2nd clean pure water bath. Anodize Stripped off. Finish underneath intact. If it was polished or machined a certain way it comes out that way just before the anodize process was done initially.

Remember pure water is distilled or reverse osmosis type water so you don't get spots etc.

Phosphoric Acid is like a syrup, clear maybe about the viscosity of Associated Silicone Shock Oil 60-80WT or possibly heavier, and Chromic Acid is a solid chip type material burgundy and brown and redish in color. I called it bacon bits as you can do a very bad thing by putting these crushed up into someone's salad or sandwich! Never do that! But if you'd see the stuff you will think the same!

I did a lot of anodizing for my motorcycle and friends and this is the best way to strip anodizing. I don't have the setup or the chemicals anymore myself. Might be best to bring to an anodizing shop that does custom work so they can change the color for you. Because doing a new anodize finish is a pain. Must have proper equipment and process.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Holy tech! That sounds like it will get the job done, but I might have a Richard Prior episode on my hands. Anything safer, or is it really not that bad? Goggles and safety respirator sounds sketchy.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:07 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by edseb
Holy tech! That sounds like it will get the job done, but I might have a Richard Prior episode on my hands. Anything safer, or is it really not that bad? Goggles and safety respirator sounds sketchy.
ebseb,
I hope you don't burn down your house or even lose your eyesight just to strip that ano. LOL.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:15 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonC
Shortguy what type of media did you use for blasting ?

I have one of those mini badger sandblasters that looks like and airbrush. I used that for the shock caps and the motor heatsink. Deep down in the heatsink there was still a little black. I took it to school and used a real sand blaster to finish of the heatsink. The Badger should be able to handle most of your needs though.

Greg
shortygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 05:27 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Chrisgt2 Send a message via Yahoo to Chrisgt2

Castrol Super Clean will do it as well.......I made the mistake of cleaning my T Maxx with it one day.........didnt let it sit very long and all the water was blue when I rinsed it in the tub........faded it really bad.

It will take it off all the way I'm sure if you let it soak in it
Chrisgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:33 PM   #21
Tech Elite

O kay, sounding better. I'm leaning toward the chemical way if it isn't too sketchy, but sandblasting sounds good too, but I'm worried that it might make the pieces lose their tight tolerances.