Like Tree1Likes

Reedy Sonic

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KELVIN KHNG
HEY GUYS

Does anybody know how many degrees of timing does the neutral mark on the reedy sonic have? I have the version without any numerical markings. Also how much timing is each marking?
Reddy at default setting.
I believe it's 30deg or there abouts, what most manufactures use as their '0' point.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KELVIN KHNG
HEY GUYS

Does anybody know how many degrees of timing does the neutral mark on the reedy sonic have? I have the version without any numerical markings. Also how much timing is each marking?
The motor you have came pre-set with 15 degrees of timing. Top line on the plus side will be 30 degrees, line on the opposite end of the range would equal zero.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a burning sorta smell coming from their Sonic's

I just got home from racing mine, Temped it after the race highest temp i read was around 72 Celcius so its while its running hot its not running too hot.

Racing in 21.5 Blinky Touring Car
Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by goldsworthy1
Hey Guys, Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a burning sorta smell coming from their Sonic's

I just got home from racing mine, Temped it after the race highest temp i read was around 72 Celcius so its while its running hot its not running too hot.

My LRPs always smell like that. Haven't noticed it from my Sonic yet but haven't run it much.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I just ordered a 8.5 turn can't wait to try it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by goldsworthy1

I have smelled mine too. Its a new 21.5 in a f1 car.temps have been 150-160f but it smells burnt every time I run it. I thought it was just because it was new and some of the materials were burning off and settling in. I got it to 180 last weekend at a different track and it still works perfect. I backed off of the timing and gearing just because I don't want to burn it up. Not sure why its smelling like this. I am racing again today so I will post if it gets any better. I hope its just settling in and not becoming damaged but it still runs great.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by amsa116
I just ordered a 8.5 turn can't wait to try it out.
Its a great motor. Very smooth and fast. Post your thoughts after you try it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I have smelled mine too. Its a new 21.5 in a f1 car.temps have been 150-160f but it smells burnt every time I run it. I thought it was just because it was new and some of the materials were burning off and settling in. I got it to 180 last weekend at a different track and it still works perfect. I backed off of the timing and gearing just because I don't want to burn it up. Not sure why its smelling like this. I am racing again today so I will post if it gets any better. I hope its just settling in and not becoming damaged but it still runs great.
Its normal for this motor and the Thunder power motor as well. Not sure why but I think its epoxy they put on the wires after they are wound to keep them from moving or being unwound.

EA
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Mine smells as well, with temps 120-130 and timing at 38 degrees(17.5)...For the last race i had new bearings and a new sensor board and the smell has diminished quite a bit. Not sure if it is because of the new parts or because it has heat cycled so many times.Motor is fast,smooth and temps stay relatively low and seems to be very consistent,both from start to finish as well as run to run. I figure they must put a cosmoline type coating on the windings and that is what i am smelling.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bpalmer
Mine smells as well, with temps 120-130 and timing at 38 degrees(17.5)...For the last race i had new bearings and a new sensor board and the smell has diminished quite a bit. Not sure if it is because of the new parts or because it has heat cycled so many times.Motor is fast,smooth and temps stay relatively low and seems to be very consistent,both from start to finish as well as run to run. I figure they must put a cosmoline type coating on the windings and that is what i am smelling.
I hope its not my bearings or sensor board. Mine is brand new with only 3 race days on it. It seems to be getting better though. I hope it continues to get better. I'm with you on the coating theory. I have had a lot of non rc electrical devices that do the same thing. Control panel heaters are the worst

Did yours start to cool down the more you ran it? this motor seems to be hother than my Novak ballistic in the same car with the same gearing but it seems to have more power too.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I hope its not my bearings or sensor board. Mine is brand new with only 3 race days on it. It seems to be getting better though. I hope it continues to get better. I'm with you on the coating theory. I have had a lot of non rc electrical devices that do the same thing. Control panel heaters are the worst

Did yours start to cool down the more you ran it? this motor seems to be hother than my Novak ballistic in the same car with the same gearing but it seems to have more power too.
I can't say it is running cooler. But the smell has certainly diminished.I am going to leave it as is. I am extremely happy with this motor. Car is handling well, motor runs well.....now where do we keep the talent in a can?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

I can't say it is running cooler. But the smell has certainly diminished.I am going to leave it as is. I am extremely happy with this motor. Car is handling well, motor runs well.....now where do we keep the talent in a can?
It looks like reedy put the talent in a 540 size can but I can't figure out how to use it.

I ran 2 heats and a main tonight and no burnt smell at all. Not even a little. I managed to out a cooling fan in the f1 car (yes a esc cooling fan fit without doing anything extreme) and my temps never got over 120. I think the smell is just the motor burning off left overs from manufacturing. Funny thing is that the car feels like it goes soft 5 minutes into a run but the lap times prove it does not. My first laps are just as fast as my last laps. Just feels different.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

It looks like reedy put the talent in a 540 size can but I can't figure out how to use it.

I ran 2 heats and a main tonight and no burnt smell at all. Not even a little. I managed to out a cooling fan in the f1 car (yes a esc cooling fan fit without doing anything extreme) and my temps never got over 120. I think the smell is just the motor burning off left overs from manufacturing. Funny thing is that the car feels like it goes soft 5 minutes into a run but the lap times prove it does not. My first laps are just as fast as my last laps. Just feels different.
If your temps are 120, maybe it is your battery. just losing some of it's punch. One of the packs i had would dispell 1500 mah then the voltage would drop severely. At the 1500 mark it would drop to 7.06 volts. and the pack was rated at 5000 mah. In comparison the pack i now use for race day maintains 7.55 volts at the 1500 mark.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

If your temps are 120, maybe it is your battery. just losing some of it's punch. One of the packs i had would dispell 1500 mah then the voltage would drop severely. At the 1500 mark it would drop to 7.06 volts. and the pack was rated at 5000 mah. In comparison the pack i now use for race day maintains 7.55 volts at the 1500 mark.
It definitely could be. I need to do some internal resistance and voltage testing this week. The confusing part is that the car just feels sluggish but the lap times are just as fast throughout the whole run. I mainly feel it on the longest straight. Corner exit still seems to have good punch.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Hey guys I have a Sonic 9.5Turn and was wondering what the 0 timing mark is?

like is it about 30 true timing(what most call 0)

the post above that i read says default setting and not 0 and mine came at pointer at 20(my moter has the numbers marked on it)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.