Search
Like Tree1Likes

Reedy Sonic

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
Yes the motor in the photo is the original version of the Sonic.
Where the pointer is in the photo, middle of scale, equals 15 degrees timing.
All the way to the right and that is zero, all the way to the left and that is 30 degrees. Each mark equals approximately 4 degrees timing.
thats great,thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok let me run down the list so I'm clear.

SXX-SS with v4.4sw 0/10/12/0
Reedy Sonic 17.5t with 80mm rollout

What timing on the motor?
Everything you have mentioned so far seems ok.
I'm guessing the timing in the motor is low, but I need to know before I can go further.
Also are you confident that you aren't getting cheated by others you are racing against? If you are truly getting pulled that bad on the straight that doesn't sound right, alittle difference due to not having a good set up is reasonable. But if someone is really pulling you I would be inquireing about what they are doing.

I was at a 2 day race in Victoria Canada and all the cars had to go through tec inspection before the race. most of the racers I've know for year and non of them were running anything out of the ordinary and they also were not running the reedy motors, most of them were running lrp x12 so I am trying to figure this motor out so I will be competitive... I've also checked the trimming and it was at 27 deg...
Old 01-12-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frank b
I was at a 2 day race in Victoria Canada and all the cars had to go through tec inspection before the race. most of the racers I've know for year and non of them were running anything out of the ordinary and they also were not running the reedy motors, most of them were running lrp x12 so I am trying to figure this motor out so I will be competitive... I've also checked the trimming and it was at 27 deg...
What size is the track ?
How much drop in lap times are you seeing in the last min compared to the first min ?

It's been over a year since we ran 17.5 boosted here, but when we did, I found 17.5 worked better with more gear, and a little less boost, & less endbell timing, for a consistent 8m run.

17.5 have very little torque on 3.7v, giving up a bit in the 1st min, was generally rewarded with a stronger run overall.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

The longer i use my Sonic 17.5 the more i love it, we run blinky and i have no problem passing Revtechs or Thunderpower motors, gear it correct & find your timing sweet spot & you have all the power you need.
3.8 FDR, and the timing just before the last line is working very well.

Just my opinion for those considering
Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I was also at this race over the weekend. It was very competitive as is was a WCICS series race with just under 200 entries. ( 60 alone in the 12th scale class that Frank and I were running) The track was 92X48 and featured a nice flowing track with some technical sections.

The A main ( Frank was in the B) was very competitive with drivers such as Peter Robinson, Wes Briscoe, Brian Bodine and a host of other fast drivers.

For me the Reedy 17.5 ran perfect all weekend running 0-10-12-0 (LRP SS V2) with a 82 mm rollout and the 954 rotor. Endbell timing was on the last notch of the V2 motor. ( hex screws with the timing lock if that makes sense)

I finished 2nd to Peter Robinson 2 seconds behind overall and was a tick behind in best lap.. 11.59 Vs 11.68 top 20 average was 11.98 for Pete and 12.07 for me. Fade for both Pete and was roughly .8 off in the last laps of the race on average which i think is acceptable. Both our motors on his temp gun were around 160F after the main.

No question Pete's stuff was top fuel but that should be a given, he is a factory Trinity/Revtech driver. He ran the Tekin RS and mentioned a few times he really played with the speedo set up throughout the weekend to keep the motors in check.

I never had to touch my speedo or motor all weekend as soon as I figured out the rollout for the track.

The 954 tuning rotor is good in 12th scale 1S.. They are just hard to find right now because they are so popular. I think Frank will pick up some speed once he gets a 954 and works on his car set up a bit and will be in the An at the next race
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for pitching in guys,it's difficult for me as I haven't run 17.5 boosted.
I'm more or less trying to make some educated guesses based on what I have done with 13.5 boosted in the past.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's been a few years since I've ran 1/12 scale and I also built the car the night before the race. I was running a few to many classes and could not really concentrate on one individual class, my 1/12 was working great just lacked the proper gearing and I ask a few people like Korgae and Peter for gearing tips and I could not get it to work correctly for me.... I want to thank everyone for trying to help me out. I think now I'm back to regular club racing I will figure out the 1/12 scale... I sure missed running that class it's been 5+ years since I've touched one last except this past weekend...anyway I made the A's with my touring and WGT that's better than nothing....

Thank Sean for your help !!!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What size rotor comes stock in the 10.5 and 8.5 sonic motors. ?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korgae
I was also at this race over the weekend. It was very competitive as is was a WCICS series race with just under 200 entries. ( 60 alone in the 12th scale class that Frank and I were running) The track was 92X48 and featured a nice flowing track with some technical sections.

The A main ( Frank was in the B) was very competitive with drivers such as Peter Robinson, Wes Briscoe, Brian Bodine and a host of other fast drivers.

For me the Reedy 17.5 ran perfect all weekend running 0-10-12-0 (LRP SS V2) with a 82 mm rollout and the 954 rotor. Endbell timing was on the last notch of the V2 motor. ( hex screws with the timing lock if that makes sense)

I finished 2nd to Peter Robinson 2 seconds behind overall and was a tick behind in best lap.. 11.59 Vs 11.68 top 20 average was 11.98 for Pete and 12.07 for me. Fade for both Pete and was roughly .8 off in the last laps of the race on average which i think is acceptable. Both our motors on his temp gun were around 160F after the main.

No question Pete's stuff was top fuel but that should be a given, he is a factory Trinity/Revtech driver. He ran the Tekin RS and mentioned a few times he really played with the speedo set up throughout the weekend to keep the motors in check.

I never had to touch my speedo or motor all weekend as soon as I figured out the rollout for the track.

The 954 tuning rotor is good in 12th scale 1S.. They are just hard to find right now because they are so popular. I think Frank will pick up some speed once he gets a 954 and works on his car set up a bit and will be in the An at the next race
It's great to hear 12th scale is so strong up in Canada
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
AE-Reedy

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
What size rotor comes stock in the 10.5 and 8.5 sonic motors. ?
It depends which batch of motors, some of the early one's came with 12.5x25.0 with 7.25 shaft, SPEC type rotor. We requested they be changed to the 12.5x25.0 with 5.0 shaft, mod style, which they have. So you will need to check which type shaft is in the motor to know for sure. The bigger shaft costs some torque. Those seem to run good in 2wd but could hurt if your trying to run it in a SC truck.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Cool Gearing!

Originally Posted by Shortbusallstar
The longer i use my Sonic 17.5 the more i love it, we run blinky and i have no problem passing Revtechs or Thunderpower motors, gear it correct & find your timing sweet spot & you have all the power you need.
3.8 FDR, and the timing just before the last line is working very well.

Just my opinion for those considering
What was your motor temp at the endbell and what was your runtime?
If you don't mind me asking and would you happen to know the approx. track size you are running?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Just got a Sonic 17.5 and 13.5 still trying to find the sweet spot of the gearing on both motors. 17.5 is in a 1450 gram car which is kind of heavy and the 13.5 is in a 1350 gram chassis. I too am running blinky spec class!
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It depends which batch of motors, some of the early one's came with 12.5x25.0 with 7.25 shaft, SPEC type rotor. We requested they be changed to the 12.5x25.0 with 5.0 shaft, mod style, which they have. So you will need to check which type shaft is in the motor to know for sure. The bigger shaft costs some torque. Those seem to run good in 2wd but could hurt if your trying to run it in a SC truck.
Thanx I'm running a B44.1. The 8.5 I just purchased. I have had great results with the 10.5 and thought I would speed it up some. Got the 8.5 and haven't ran it. Thinking just maybe I could up the rotor in the 10.5 and push it a hair more. Maybe swapping rotors or something if I could between the 2.

I can't find much info on them, specs and or effects from one to the other. I may read though this thread some and see if I can find any more info. Thanx again. I have tried several motors over the years and I absolutely love these sonic motors. very smooth on power and smooth braking. And they some how seem to run cooler.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im very happy with my new ride...running AE TC6,LRP SXX v2(blinky), Reedy 5500 lipo and Reedy Sonic 17.5....

thanks for the advise guys...FDR 4.0 with box stock setup, turned 11.8 in practice from my past 12.0's , motor came off at 97 deg w/ fan...got plenty to go...motor time on 35 deg...Im very happy with my ride...

oh track is 90 plus straight and 45 plus deep...new track
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Sonic-2011carpetlayouts.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Im very happy with my new ride...running AE TC6,LRP SXX v2(blinky), Reedy 5500 lipo and Reedy Sonic 17.5....

thanks for the advise guys...FDR 4.0 with box stock setup, turned 11.8 in practice from my past 12.0's , motor came off at 97 deg w/ fan...got plenty to go...motor time on 35 deg...Im very happy with my ride...

oh track is 90 plus straight and 45 plus deep...new track
I race at a similar track, but I'm running 3.69 FDR and it comes off at 150ish with full timing on the can. I have a fan as well. Can probably go lower..
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah Im going to play with it on the 22nd(next race), and see what it will do...EA is our fastest racer, so Im trying to base it off of him...Im in no way as good as him, but Im trying to see his fast lap and stay within the ballpark...I know he has it 11.6 and 11.7, so that makes me feel real good to be able to do 11.8...difference he can do it lap for lap...and Im hit or miss...lol..

but the car is better and smoother, and cooler...Im very happy with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.