Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Reedy Sonic

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I finally had some time to run a Sonic in 17.5 blinky 12th scale this weekend.

I am lucky to race with arguably one of the fastest stock 12th scale racers in the country, it is hard to find a much better benchmark.

To be blunt, it was phenomenal!

Final set-up for the day;
Roll-out: 3.9"
Timing: @ start of the screw.
Smallest "stock spec" rotor.
Around 125-135 degrees at the middle of the can.
Reedy 6500 65C

While any advantage up front was either negligible or even non-existent, the strong point of the motor was in the lack of fade at the end. Maximum fade was only in the 3-5 tenths range compared to my normal fade of 5-7 tenths with other current motors.

It should only get better as I am able to try further rotor/timing/roll-out combinations.

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Sonic-times.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Great result! One of the great things about the Sonic is the lack of fade. I notice the same thing in my TC.

While on the subject of motor setup (gearing etc), I am working on a gear chart and would like some user data. If anyone has successful rollouts for the applications listed below, please drop me a line or post with your successful setup. Thanks!

1/12
17.5 boost
13.5 blinky
13.5 boost
10.5 blinky
10.5 boost

World GT
13.5 blinky
10.5 boost

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what is a "Smallest "stock spec" rotor"?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by over gear
This one.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by over gear
Sorry! Got lazy on that one...

This one.

I honestly never tried the included rotor in 12th (except 13.5 boosted). I have had the one above in my motor box since the Sonics came out this summer and was looking for an excuse to try it.

I'm going to try the stock rotor this Wednesday.

Mike Slaughter
Old 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by masterhit
P.S. I see the link mentions this as the "Factory equipped" rotor. I am pretty sure that is incorrect. All of mine have had the 12.5x25 rotor.
It is incorrect. Fixed now.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey Rick, is that small rotor the one you would recommend for 13.5 boosted 1/12th or stick with the stock one? Going to be picking up one of these soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masterhit
I finally had some time to run a Sonic in 17.5 blinky 12th scale this weekend.

I am lucky to race with arguably one of the fastest stock 12th scale racers in the country, it is hard to find a much better benchmark.

To be blunt, it was phenomenal!

Final set-up for the day;
Roll-out: 3.9"
Timing: @ start of the screw.
Smallest "stock spec" rotor.
Around 125-135 degrees at the middle of the can.
Reedy 6500 65C

While any advantage up front was either negligible or even non-existent, the strong point of the motor was in the lack of fade at the end. Maximum fade was only in the 3-5 tenths range compared to my normal fade of 5-7 tenths with other current motors.

It should only get better as I am able to try further rotor/timing/roll-out combinations.

Mike Slaughter
Thanks for the info! In blinkey isn't the fade more to do with voltage dropping off? Motor temps in 17.5 are usually quite low! Also was Knapp running the shorty?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by haywood
Thanks for the info! In blinkey isn't the fade more to do with voltage dropping off? Motor temps in 17.5 are usually quite low! Also was Knapp running the shorty?
I do agree that most of the fade comes from voltage. It is hard to beat more area under the curve. This just goes to show what an efficient set-up combo this is. It is able to turn fast laps and remain consistent for the full 8 minutes. It doesn't mean that my other set-up was optimal, but that the Sonic was very quickly dialed in (within 3 runs) to a highly competitive level with a large sweet spot.

In this case all the comparisons are done from the same two packs, same layout, same set-up, tires etc a weekend apart.. Fast laps and top average lap differences are negligible compared to my "gold standard" which all of us here have massive amounts of time on and I consider well tweaked in.

A few other very experienced and seasoned racers looked at the numbers as well and all were surprised at the consistent pace from start to end. I had a strong car up front, and the strongest of the three at the end of the race.

I have some theories that center around the small rotor, but only more track time will tell. The motor definitely has a unique feel compared to what I'm used to. It revs up very quickly, and feels very "free" both on the track and on the bench. *Shrug* I feel like I'm wandering into a realm of esoterica and I'm a man of science dammit!

Or maybe Reedy just got the stator/rotor combo spot on for certain situations allowing better efficiency at all voltages? There are people allot more knowledgable than me on these subjects, and I would love to hear their ideas. Even if it is that I'm a quack.....

No, Andrew was running standard packs. Let's just say except for Orion packs there is "no replacement for displacement".....

I have included a little PDF of some recent 1c packs that went through the GFX as a "just for fun reference" (this means don't get all up in my business about sample size, etc although my procedure is sound and consistent). The Reedy packs can run with the best. The high voltage Rev pack was charged in "competition mode" on a Thunder Power charger which is why it is so much better. The Rev is a 60c 5600mah, the Murr 1c is a 5400mah 65c, the Reedy cmock is a 60c 5500mah, and the reedy 65c is a 6500mah. Pretty much mah = more voltage, or the term I use, less "voltage supression".... All done at 35 amps.

Mike Slaughter
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Sonic-lipo-pack-graph-10-17-11-new-packs-1c.jpg  

Last edited by masterhit; 12-19-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Kind of hard to make a point when I leave out relevant information...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a kinda dumb question but I need the info: On an LRP Stock Spec V2 you have a torque-feel setting that they say is only for X12 motors, can the Reedy Sonic 17.5 be used with the torque-feel setting like the X12?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Here's a kinda dumb question but I need the info: On an LRP Stock Spec V2 you have a torque-feel setting that they say is only for X12 motors, can the Reedy Sonic 17.5 be used with the torque-feel setting like the X12?
No the Reedy motor falls in the "other" category. Drive-abilty will suffer if you try the "torque timing" modes.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I recently bought a new reedy sonic. It appears to be a newer version. It has the numbers as shown in a previous pic. My question is. Are these made differently? There is no way the timing mark will go all the way to the screw.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamison R
I recently bought a new reedy sonic. It appears to be a newer version. It has the numbers as shown in a previous pic. My question is. Are these made differently? There is no way the timing mark will go all the way to the screw.
Refer to this:
Post 106 Page 8.
It won't let me post the URL as I have changed profiles.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by wingracer
Something else to consider, is that even legal? I believe ROAR states that motors may not be modified to increase timing.
Does this make legal motor "illegal" for stock racing, as it will be modified from stock form??????
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I plan to run this motor at snowbirds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.