R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #211
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Thanx I'm running a B44.1. The 8.5 I just purchased. I have had great results with the 10.5 and thought I would speed it up some. Got the 8.5 and haven't ran it. Thinking just maybe I could up the rotor in the 10.5 and push it a hair more. Maybe swapping rotors or something if I could between the 2.

I can't find much info on them, specs and or effects from one to the other. I may read though this thread some and see if I can find any more info. Thanx again. I have tried several motors over the years and I absolutely love these sonic motors. very smooth on power and smooth braking. And they some how seem to run cooler.
If your motor has the rotor with the 7.25 shaft and you change to the 5.0 rotor you will notice more torque. You might need to gear up a tooth or so also.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #212
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
If your motor has the rotor with the 7.25 shaft and you change to the 5.0 rotor you will notice more torque. You might need to gear up a tooth or so also.
Thanx that's what I'm looking for. I will tear it down tonight and see if I can figure out what is in it. I was hoping maybe there would be a # or some thing I could reference.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #213
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Anyone have a suggested fdr and endbell timing for 13.5 boosted with a Tekin 35m straight med tech track.

Thanks
bjspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #214
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey guys just wondering if i use a different rotor in my sonic 17.5 will i be able to make it faster .....actually why are there different rotor sizes what are there purpose?
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #215
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
hey guys just wondering if i use a different rotor in my sonic 17.5 will i be able to make it faster .....actually why are there different rotor sizes what are there purpose?
The different rotors can be used to tune the powerband or feel of the motor depending on the application. The rotors will have a bigger effect on mod motors. The amount that we can play with rotor parameters are rather limited in Spec classes.

Also the Spec motors come with the rotor that provides the best torque, the tuning options will trade off some torque to gain some extra rpm. Do not expect a big change though. Going to a smaller rotor for 1s classes might be beneficial but we have not done any testing with that yet. I expect we will be playing with that at the upcoming Snowbird Nats.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

i love the reedy sonic motors! they make great power stay cool are are FREAKING FAST!
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #217
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I know that no one ever wants to test the limits of their motors, but I had the opportunity this past weekend. My fan quit sometime in the main and the motor temped about 205 after the run. It smelled hot and burnt so I thought it was toast. I took the motor apart and cleaned it out (had some burnt carpet fibers in it) After reassembling it, I put it back on the track tonight and it ran like a champ. Same power and speed as before. Very happy with the performance and durability of this motor.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #218
Tech Adept

Hi sorry to trouble you,

I have just picked up a sonic 13.5 of which I will be using in 13.5 boosted and was wondering if anyone had any pointers, gearing, endbell timing or starting settings for this motor when running with a speed passion or hobbywing speed controller. I am currently running on carpet with a tight infield and a 30m straight.

Thanks in advance.
www.hotbodiesonline.com
Jamesalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #219
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I know that no one ever wants to test the limits of their motors, but I had the opportunity this past weekend. My fan quit sometime in the main and the motor temped about 205 after the run. It smelled hot and burnt so I thought it was toast. I took the motor apart and cleaned it out (had some burnt carpet fibers in it) After reassembling it, I put it back on the track tonight and it ran like a champ. Same power and speed as before. Very happy with the performance and durability of this motor.
205 is not THAT hot. ive ran motors above that. when most of the time these motors spend most of their life around 180-190 degrees.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #220
Tech Adept

I want to remove some clearance on the front/pignon side of my reedy sonic.

Where can i find some shim with 0.25 inner size, and 0.00394 or thinkness 0.00787

thanks
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #221
Tech Elite

Can any of you running a Reedy Sonic in 13.5 open tell me what sort of gearing/timing and motor timing you have been running?

Thanks
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #222
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
Also the Spec motors come with the rotor that provides the best torque, the tuning options will trade off some torque to gain some extra rpm. Do not expect a big change though. Going to a smaller rotor for 1s classes might be beneficial but we have not done any testing with that yet. I expect we will be playing with that at the upcoming Snowbird Nats.
Hi there, so do u mean to say that by putting a 5mm shaft rotor in place of a 7mm shaft rotor ( ie thicker magnet) in a stock class motor we may end up with less torque /rpm than before? Or will the ability to gear the motor heavier result in a net gain in speed even though peak rpm may be less? Thanks.
radwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #223
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Reedy Sonic 17.5 blinky 1/12th

Would like to know a good starting point for the Sonic 17.5 in blinky 1/12th class. Track size is 80'x40'
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #224
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1kstanc3 View Post
Would like to know a good starting point for the Sonic 17.5 in blinky 1/12th class. Track size is 80'x40'
Joe, most guys are going around 100mm for MRH, w/ 35* timing

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #225
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Joe, most guys are going around 100mm for MRH, w/ 35* timing
Thanks Gee!
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote