TC6 front and rear axle slop >

TC6 front and rear axle slop

TC6 front and rear axle slop

Old 06-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC6 front and rear axle slop

Hello everyone,

I just finished building my tc6 car and notice both the front and rear axles have a slight bit of slop. All four of them. I verify this slop by gently rocking the axle with the wheels mounted. It appear as if the dual bearings in both the rear hub and the dual bearings in both the steering block has a little slop in them.

I'm not sure if the cva axle is loose against the inner race of the bearings or the bearings themselves are sloppy.

If the axle are loose against the inner race of the bearings, I could use green locktite to fill the slop.

If the bearings are sloppy I can replace the bearings with higher tolerance bearings. But someone at my hobby shop advise me that too high tolerance on the bearings and wheel axle can induce binding at high speed.

What do you guys think. Is it normal for the axle to have a slight bit of slop, slight bit lateral rocking movement, on both the hub and steering block.
should I replace the bearings in the hub and steering blocks with higher tolerance bearing to reduce the slop?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Do you have the shim installed between the outer bearing and the axle pin that the wheel hex mounts over?

There is a little bit of slop in these components even with the shim installed but there's a lot more without it. The TC5 had it and the TC6 uses the same components in this area so there is the same small bit of slop. It doesn't seem to affect performance and I wouldn't worry about trying to eliminate it.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

You need to score the hub faces where the bearings sit, otherwise the bearings move around in the hubs.

http://cmldistribution.co.uk/news.php?view=0000001651