R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Especially a magazine?

Yea, doing this for a living, we must really have no idea what we're talking about. haha
It`s even more funny that they buy and read the magazines but didn`t trust what it said
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 286
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Personally....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreed
A sport TC3 was $150 and came with everything you needed. Given fit/finish did not come close to an X-ray, but it was just as competitive. I just can't see spending that much for an older design. That's just me.
So you believe the TC3 shaft drive design is new then? That design is a lot older than the two belt design. But that's not really the point though is it? Who cares if it is a new or an old design? The key thing is the performance.

Cars like the TC3 and Losi XXXs have been lagging the past year and a half because their designs hadn't been updated recently enough. The XRay T1 FK is a more recent update that is holding its own against all of the competition on just about any track. In two years time it will be outdated and 2 or more seconds slower than the newest kids on the block (maybe TC4 and or the new Losi). But then, XRay will probably have new updates before then to keep up, just like they have done ever since they came onto the market.

BTW, on the design issue, there are only so many ways you can design a 4WD drive train. Most of them have been tried multiple times already each has its advantages and disadvantages. E.g. belt drive cars are faster of the line while shaft drives accelerate faster on corner exit. Belt drives have front-rear torque effect making the car dive and squat more, shaft drives have torque steering. There are design reasons that have made XRay stick with belt drive. Just because it appears to be an older principle to shaft drive, that does not mean it is bad!
__________________
Tony Vredenberg
tonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Nebraska USA
Posts: 615
Default Tonyv...

where did you ever read that I said the TC3/4 was a new design? I'm talking about pro level car vs. cost. The xray is over priced, that's all I'm saying. I guess if they up dated the Xray all the time maybe it's worth it then, but then again you have to spend more. Fit/finish is great, I'll give them that much. I have never been impressed with the Xray. That's just my opinion.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #19
N4S
Tech Fanatic
 
N4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 997
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Just to add a little on the price issue....... The tc4 is a "racer" kit. You think for a split second when the factory team version is released it wont be every bit of $300.00 + ?????? Atleast with x-ray their FK comes with "race" parts. I.E. a one way , good bearrings ..... All the parts are usuable for racing , you dont have to "mod" things or spend an additional $800.00 to get a top of the line car. I ran a tc3 for years and did very good with it. The only problem is i had around $400.00 in other parts in the drive train alone. I think associated is trying to cover the racer and the basher with one car ..... From a business stand point its great !!! But for the racer who wants to win he has to pull his wallet out a second time to make the car complete. After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......
N4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 79
Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
It`s even more funny that they buy and read the magazines but didn`t trust what it said
LOL..that funny. I trusted the test because it looked pretty unbiased. Although The TC3 didnt have the diff cases modded or the chassis milled to move the batteries more toward centerline. I wonder if that would have changed the out come
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic
 
Charlie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Corona, Ca
Posts: 739
Default Futureal

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Especially a magazine?

Yea, doing this for a living, we must really have no idea what we're talking about. haha
I never said magizines did not know what they are talking about!
i meant that it would be better to make a personal judgment on first hand experience than to take the word of some magazine that maybe tested it in a way that i would never use it in, like using a ten turn mod, or a box stock setup.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
FW-05RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,384
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by N4S
Just to add a little on the price issue....... The tc4 is a "racer" kit. You think for a split second when the factory team version is released it wont be every bit of $300.00 + ?????? Atleast with x-ray their FK comes with "race" parts. I.E. a one way , good bearrings ..... All the parts are usuable for racing , you dont have to "mod" things or spend an additional $800.00 to get a top of the line car. I ran a tc3 for years and did very good with it. The only problem is i had around $400.00 in other parts in the drive train alone. I think associated is trying to cover the racer and the basher with one car ..... From a business stand point its great !!! But for the racer who wants to win he has to pull his wallet out a second time to make the car complete. After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......
well said
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:29 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic
 
Charlie O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Corona, Ca
Posts: 739
Default

Factory kit, titanium & graphite you guys just looking for another crutch to help poor driving skill by spending more money on a luxury kit. it gives me great pleasure to watch my 11 yr old spank the crap out of X-rays with a TC-3 RTR thats right RTR just added a servo & speed control, no trick bearings no graphite or titanium nothing.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #24
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Nebraska USA
Posts: 615
Default yep

yep
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #25
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Nebraska USA
Posts: 615
Default That's exactly the point I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
Factory kit, titanium & graphite you guys just looking for another crutch to help poor driving skill by spending more money on a luxury kit. it gives me great pleasure to watch my 11 yr old spank the crap out of X-rays with a TC-3 RTR thats right RTR just added a servo & speed control, no trick bearings no graphite or titanium nothing.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:58 PM   #26
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
Factory kit, titanium & graphite you guys just looking for another crutch to help poor driving skill by spending more money on a luxury kit. it gives me great pleasure to watch my 11 yr old spank the crap out of X-rays with a TC-3 RTR thats right RTR just added a servo & speed control, no trick bearings no graphite or titanium nothing.
This is my view also.There is a young kid at our local races that puts the hurt on grown men and thier fully hopped up machines with his rtr TC3.He just started racing this past season and is doing awsome.He has TALENT and ABILITY.Go Stryker!
nesacuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #27
Tech Lord
 
Oasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: * Sin Cal *
Posts: 10,336
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

If your 11 year old is beating the Xrays with a TC-3 he would still beat them most likely with any TC..You still have to drive it.I have owned quite a few Xray's and I still dont like them..
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #28
Tech Adept
 
mashimaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 184
Default

Well, i guess there will never be an end to such an argument regarding which car's better.. so just drive whatever you feel is the fastest. I just don't like seeing people saying X and Y is not good because of this and that with it, i think most pro level TCs out there are pretty good and close in terms of their performance, i mean really unless your driving is flawless, how much difference will switching cars really make? perhaps .01 of a second a lap?.. anyways, for average racers, with average abilities all cars are about the same
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #29
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mashimaro
Well, i guess there will never be an end to such an argument regarding which car's better.. so just drive whatever you feel is the fastest. I just don't like seeing people saying X and Y is not good because of this and that with it, i think most pro level TCs out there are pretty good and close in terms of their performance, i mean really unless your driving is flawless, how much difference will switching cars really make? perhaps .01 of a second a lap?.. anyways, for average racers, with average abilities all cars are about the same
So what everybody is saying is that a new racers should buy all NINE cars and then race them for a year and decide which one is faster for themselves?

Wow, that would have saved us a lot of time

Opinions are all anybody (here or in a magazine) can offer. The difference is we tested all the cars at the same time, with the same equipment, and under the same conditions. That's something that 99.999% of you cannot do. Lots of people will say the car they bought is the best, but when in truth they think it's the best because they bought it.
__________________
Velocity RC Magazine
www.vrcmag.com
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #30
Tech Regular
 
D Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 395
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by N4S
After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......

Ditto.
__________________
Hall Ass Racing
CFX Paintworks @ www.cfxpaintworks.com
OC Circuit @ www.socal.rcracing.com
D Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS - NEW !!!! XRAY NT18T and XRAY NT18 plus HUDY micro truck starter box w/ battery Omarko Australia For Sale/Trade 2 06-25-2008 08:47 PM
Xray T2, Brushed Motor Combo, Setup Tools, Xray Springs, Bodies etc... GroffBall R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 09-23-2007 08:53 PM
WTB: NIB Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A Australia Wanted to Buy 4 01-02-2007 03:30 PM
WTB: Xray T1FK05 & Xray Teflon coated aluminum Shock Body Adam.A R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 12-30-2006 03:26 PM
XRAY sedan spring kit / XRAY multi-diff / PRS 114t spur / RR 64p pinions / Stratus evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 12-19-2006 09:33 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:58 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net