R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Especially a magazine?

Yea, doing this for a living, we must really have no idea what we're talking about. haha
It`s even more funny that they buy and read the magazines but didn`t trust what it said
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Personally....

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreed
A sport TC3 was $150 and came with everything you needed. Given fit/finish did not come close to an X-ray, but it was just as competitive. I just can't see spending that much for an older design. That's just me.
So you believe the TC3 shaft drive design is new then? That design is a lot older than the two belt design. But that's not really the point though is it? Who cares if it is a new or an old design? The key thing is the performance.

Cars like the TC3 and Losi XXXs have been lagging the past year and a half because their designs hadn't been updated recently enough. The XRay T1 FK is a more recent update that is holding its own against all of the competition on just about any track. In two years time it will be outdated and 2 or more seconds slower than the newest kids on the block (maybe TC4 and or the new Losi). But then, XRay will probably have new updates before then to keep up, just like they have done ever since they came onto the market.

BTW, on the design issue, there are only so many ways you can design a 4WD drive train. Most of them have been tried multiple times already each has its advantages and disadvantages. E.g. belt drive cars are faster of the line while shaft drives accelerate faster on corner exit. Belt drives have front-rear torque effect making the car dive and squat more, shaft drives have torque steering. There are design reasons that have made XRay stick with belt drive. Just because it appears to be an older principle to shaft drive, that does not mean it is bad!
Old 10-10-2004, 01:39 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Default Tonyv...

where did you ever read that I said the TC3/4 was a new design? I'm talking about pro level car vs. cost. The xray is over priced, that's all I'm saying. I guess if they up dated the Xray all the time maybe it's worth it then, but then again you have to spend more. Fit/finish is great, I'll give them that much. I have never been impressed with the Xray. That's just my opinion.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #19
N4S
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just to add a little on the price issue....... The tc4 is a "racer" kit. You think for a split second when the factory team version is released it wont be every bit of $300.00 + ?????? Atleast with x-ray their FK comes with "race" parts. I.E. a one way , good bearrings ..... All the parts are usuable for racing , you dont have to "mod" things or spend an additional $800.00 to get a top of the line car. I ran a tc3 for years and did very good with it. The only problem is i had around $400.00 in other parts in the drive train alone. I think associated is trying to cover the racer and the basher with one car ..... From a business stand point its great !!! But for the racer who wants to win he has to pull his wallet out a second time to make the car complete. After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......
N4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 03:31 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to GTIRACER

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
It`s even more funny that they buy and read the magazines but didn`t trust what it said
LOL..that funny. I trusted the test because it looked pretty unbiased. Although The TC3 didnt have the diff cases modded or the chassis milled to move the batteries more toward centerline. I wonder if that would have changed the out come
GTIRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Default Futureal

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Especially a magazine?

Yea, doing this for a living, we must really have no idea what we're talking about. haha
I never said magizines did not know what they are talking about!
i meant that it would be better to make a personal judgment on first hand experience than to take the word of some magazine that maybe tested it in a way that i would never use it in, like using a ten turn mod, or a box stock setup.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by N4S
Just to add a little on the price issue....... The tc4 is a "racer" kit. You think for a split second when the factory team version is released it wont be every bit of $300.00 + ?????? Atleast with x-ray their FK comes with "race" parts. I.E. a one way , good bearrings ..... All the parts are usuable for racing , you dont have to "mod" things or spend an additional $800.00 to get a top of the line car. I ran a tc3 for years and did very good with it. The only problem is i had around $400.00 in other parts in the drive train alone. I think associated is trying to cover the racer and the basher with one car ..... From a business stand point its great !!! But for the racer who wants to win he has to pull his wallet out a second time to make the car complete. After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......
well said
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:29 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Factory kit, titanium & graphite you guys just looking for another crutch to help poor driving skill by spending more money on a luxury kit. it gives me great pleasure to watch my 11 yr old spank the crap out of X-rays with a TC-3 RTR thats right RTR just added a servo & speed control, no trick bearings no graphite or titanium nothing.
Charlie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Default yep

yep
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Default That's exactly the point I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
Factory kit, titanium & graphite you guys just looking for another crutch to help poor driving skill by spending more money on a luxury kit. it gives me great pleasure to watch my 11 yr old spank the crap out of X-rays with a TC-3 RTR thats right RTR just added a servo & speed control, no trick bearings no graphite or titanium nothing.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:58 PM   #26
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie O
This is my view also.There is a young kid at our local races that puts the hurt on grown men and thier fully hopped up machines with his rtr TC3.He just started racing this past season and is doing awsome.He has TALENT and ABILITY.Go Stryker!
nesacuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If your 11 year old is beating the Xrays with a TC-3 he would still beat them most likely with any TC..You still have to drive it.I have owned quite a few Xray's and I still dont like them..
Old 10-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Well, i guess there will never be an end to such an argument regarding which car's better.. so just drive whatever you feel is the fastest. I just don't like seeing people saying X and Y is not good because of this and that with it, i think most pro level TCs out there are pretty good and close in terms of their performance, i mean really unless your driving is flawless, how much difference will switching cars really make? perhaps .01 of a second a lap?.. anyways, for average racers, with average abilities all cars are about the same
mashimaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mashimaro
Well, i guess there will never be an end to such an argument regarding which car's better.. so just drive whatever you feel is the fastest. I just don't like seeing people saying X and Y is not good because of this and that with it, i think most pro level TCs out there are pretty good and close in terms of their performance, i mean really unless your driving is flawless, how much difference will switching cars really make? perhaps .01 of a second a lap?.. anyways, for average racers, with average abilities all cars are about the same
So what everybody is saying is that a new racers should buy all NINE cars and then race them for a year and decide which one is faster for themselves?

Wow, that would have saved us a lot of time

Opinions are all anybody (here or in a magazine) can offer. The difference is we tested all the cars at the same time, with the same equipment, and under the same conditions. That's something that 99.999% of you cannot do. Lots of people will say the car they bought is the best, but when in truth they think it's the best because they bought it.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by N4S
After switching to an x-ray I wont run an associated tc ever again belt or shaft....... The biggest difference is in quality......

Ditto.
D Hall is offline   Reply With Quote