Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GEAR diff or BALL diff ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

someone cant really tell you which ones better. your gonna have people who like the gear diff , and the people who like ball diffs. try them both . its a personal preference.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
At the RROC this year the biggest single improvement I made to my car was installing a gear diff in the front. I used cleaning putty so it was very tight which I don't think you could duplicate with fluid. Hebert, Levanen and I used this setup. Not only was the car easier to drive, but it was faster. This took me from a guy just off the pace to a contender.
I haven't built a gear diff with putty yet, but I have with 500k oil. If the putty is thicker than the oil does the diff actually get "worked" when running the car? Has any of the team ever tried a steel, or weighted, spool? I'm wondering how much, if any, of the difference in handling between the front spool/gear diff is due to rotational weight?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlie_b
Reinhardt ran DOUBLE diffs at the Reedy race..but then again...he can run double spool and still lap me.
That's cause Reinhardt knows how to tune a ball diff...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

I used cleaning putty so it was very tight which I don't think you could duplicate with fluid
Originally Posted by charlie_b
this thing inside the diff...!? they are move...?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zamrioo2
this thing inside the diff...!? they are move...?
Doesn't look like the gears would give at all... stuff looks pretty dense... Looks like it would be almost the same as a spool... but I guess not... As far as what you said Charlie " you just can't STAB the throttle " ... I don't drive that way so maybe I might like the gear diff ???

How much power do you loose say with a 21.5 or a 17.5 motor compared to a Ball diff ?

Last edited by lightfoot; 06-14-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: changed diff to spool
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Doesn't look like the gears would give at all... stuff looks pretty dense... Looks like it would be almost the same as a diff... but I guess not... As far as what you said Charlie " you just can't STAB the throttle " ... I don't drive that way so maybe I might like the gear diff ???

How much power do you loose say with a 21.5 or a 17.5 motor compared to a Ball diff ?
You don't lose any power at all unless the wheels spin and lose traction. Personally, i think you will be fine because you drive that 2wd sedan pretty damn good.
Bigdog...i mean Double GEAR diffs btw.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing
That's cause Reinhardt knows how to tune a ball diff...
He Ran Gear diffs at reedy

Gear diffs are faster, theres a reason why pro's ALL use them now. The car is harder to drive? Learn to drive it like that or you will be going backwards at a rate of nots

My 2c
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

At the RROC this year the biggest single improvement I made to my car was installing a gear diff in the front. I used cleaning putty so it was very tight which I don't think you could duplicate with fluid. Hebert, Levanen and I used this setup. Not only was the car easier to drive, but it was faster. This took me from a guy just off the pace to a contender.

FYI easier to drive makes you faster even if the lap times are not faster. Fewer mistakes will be made and your overall time will improve.
Do you pack the front gear diff with putty as much as possible? Or just put like a big chuck inside?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like gear diffs, but then I have such limited experience with ball diffs, guys who have been tuning balls for years seem able to get 'that' much more from them, but I think for someone newer to electric maybe gears are a much friendly option.

Just based off some stuff I noticed, the gear diff seems to stay exactly the same during a heat, or even during a whole meet or more (without being touched), the last ball diff I built you could feel it change/alter throughout a heat.

Also I tried a front gear diff, and yeah you loose some drive out of the corners, but I was surprised how much easier it was to drive with, the spool seems to fight the turn in, diff just glides in, I can see spool cars pull out a bit harder than me, but then I'm able to come in a lot quicker.

It's all playing with oil weights as well, I had like 100k up front and it lost a lot of drive (compared to spool), but 200k and it's not bad now (300-500k and I recon it would be golden), as for the rear I just kind of love it so much I can't imagine putting the ball back in.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For me, I don't gain as much on entry with a gear diff in front as I do on exit with a spool. Yes it makes the car smoother but it just doesn't have the rip out of the corner. Also, what about the extra rotating mass up front?? JMO
Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

good thread,one question. when you say 300-500k what oil is that
i am used to ball diffs or off road running up to about 10,000 weight oil
is 300k same as 3,000 weight
Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl
300.000-500.000 (in the front diff).
1:8 off road use much lighter oil
Old 06-15-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl
Yep, I'm talking up to 500.000cst rated silicone oil, I'll likely have to get some Kyosho though as most brands stop around the 100-200k mark.

Keep in mind for me this is a 4 gear TOP micro gear diff up front right now, and they need heavier oil to feel the same as a 6 gear full sized diff, same micro in the rear uses 10k when the bigger ones use like around 1k.

Which also brings up what people do run in the rears, for the SpecR's etc, people run anything from 250cst shock oil (seems extreme to me), up to say 1500cst, my Yokomo came with a bottle of 700cst, I think the new Serpent comes with 1200cst, no idea what the factory fill spec is on the SpecR, though I plan on buying a SpecR soon...
Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

I am in the process of fitting front and rear gear diffs in my TA05v2 and am just not sure if I should be now running a center oneway or not bother. Anyone have experience with this?
the advice would be much appreciated
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brapbrap
I am in the process of fitting front and rear gear diffs in my TA05v2 and am just not sure if I should be now running a center oneway or not bother. Anyone have experience with this?
the advice would be much appreciated
I ran the double gear diff setup on my v2 with 100k front and 1k rear oils, you don't need a center one way for this setup but I would suggest around 300k for the front I just didn't have 300k to use up front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.