R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to mmatic
Default batteries batteries batteries

Who has the best 3300 NiMh battery on the market right now? Quite a few to choose from, does anyone feel one is truely better then the others?
mmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

Hey, I don't know which are the best batteries and everone has a differnet opinion so I went and ordered 3 matched packs. One from Novak one from Team Orion and One from Trinity. This was 2 months ago from Tower Hobbies and they still haven't arrived in the mail, so I can't tell you which ones I like best.
Also, I email tower and they said if they still haven't arrived after 90 days give them a call. This was to Western Australia and It was the cheap postage type. Next time I will go the fastest way even if it is a few more dollars. Has anyone else from not-usa had this trouble before.
Thanks, and sorry for going off the topic.
Brad in Perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In my opinion....you cant go wrong with any of the top matchers out there.....Surge...Fusion..Pro-match...SMC.... ect........for me ,it all comes down to which company has the best numbers at the same time im in the market for some.......

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Tech Master

If you meant brand battery.....not the matcher.......GoldPeak 3300's at the moment....probably sanyo 3600's in the very near future.....

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Old 10-07-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Tech Master

Of the few Ive tried Fukuyamas as well as my Promatch are the best Ive used Integy was by far the woest. I havent tried them yet but there are alot of fast guys around where I live running Hurricane packs. I am sure some are better than others but it takes a high level of skill to be able to bring that out on the track.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
Tech Master

Orion and Peak batteries the new SP2's
FW-05RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

www.Promatchracing.com

They having a good special this month.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:48 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

I second the specail from Promatch this month. Just got 8 packs from them, and #s are better then what was advertised. 1.179/430sec for $55.00 not bad.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

If you don't mind ordering from a non-mainstream brand, you can check out this site.

http://www.plutoniumrc.com/

Lots of ppl where I live run this brand of matched cells.

The big perk is Singapore's closer to you than Sydney
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 AM   #10
Tech Adept

hey everybody DON'T spend too much to buy the most expensive batteries and DON'T believe the manufacturers that claim those extra high numbers! firstly, because they could be lying (yes, they could!). secondly, because super packs only deliver super performance for the first few cycles. after that, they handle like ordinary packs, more or less! so, as long as they are matched GP3300, by the cheapest you can find and throw them away after a few months. new cheap packs every six months cost less and perform better than 1 year old expensive packs!
billtc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:27 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Billtc3.. you must be pretty paranoid. If battery matchers are BS'ing about #s, they'd go out of business FAST. Super packs delivering only super performance first few cycles? what are you doing to your batteries? geesh. So you're saying buy 1.150 packs and chuck them after a 6 months? You'd get smoked by guys running 6 month old 1.170 packs to your new 1.150 packs.

I'd love to have reputable battery matchers hop on this thread and have a field day with your post...
Old 10-08-2004, 02:52 AM   #12
Tech Adept

"I'd love to have reputable battery matchers hop on this thread and have a field day with your post..."

well, what do you think they'd say?
"yes, this paranoid guy is true, we are BS'ing about #s, so don't buy our batteries?"

who actually checks if the numbers on his battery are true? and do you really think 1.170 packs are so much better than 1.150 packs after some time? we're talking 0.02*6=0.12V per pack. I bet your wiring wastes much more power if it's old, if it's longer than neccessary, if your connectors are dirty etc. and of course, if you don't have a top off the line esc and perfectly tuned motor, even 1.180 packs won't save you!
Old 10-08-2004, 03:26 AM   #13
Tech Regular

by your logic, we should all be running $30 packs off e-bay. Guess what... people who are willing to pay $70+ for top of line pack, probrably aren't running dirty connectors, using cheap wires, using $30 ESC. Likely be using top of line car, competition level ESC, and probrably know how to solder decent connections, and using some dyno'd tweaked motor.

Also, are you assuming 1.150 packs don't lose performance over same time period as 1.170 packs. You have anything to prove this?

Seeing how competitive some people are at racing, when people racing with you are running similar top end equiptment as you, that little .12V would, and does make a difference. Your lap times will be first to tell you so.

If people are buying high end packs, and noticist their speed difference on the track, they'll continue to buy high end packs. If the #s on the label were BS, they'd know pretty quick, and will let the world know about it, and this board would be flooded with 'this matcher's packs are BS' threads. How many of those do you see? Some of these matching/battery companies have been around for a long time. You don't survive in this competitve market by producing BS number batteries.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:38 AM   #14
Tech Adept

"people who are willing to pay $70+ for top of line pack, probrably aren't running dirty connectors, using cheap wires, using $30 ESC. Likely be using top of line car, competition level ESC, and probrably know how to solder decent connections, and using some dyno'd tweaked motor"

yes, i didn't argue that! but such people, also buy new batteries more often than the average racer. what i'm saying, is that it's only woth buying very expensive packs if the rest of your equipment can take advantage of them. and if you're such a good driver that you can feel the 0.12V difference in the track
Old 10-08-2004, 05:14 AM   #15
Tech Master

Hey Billtc3.....The numbers on battery packs from reputable matchers are way more accurate than you might think......Several chargers....as well as Competition Electronics line of chargers like the very common, turbo 30, 35, and GFX.. ect....can "EASILY" check all important numbers that are advertised on cells from matchers......a unhonest matcher would develop a untrustworthy reputation "nearly overnight" if there was even a small batch of cells let out with false numbers....(many people check this)......Just over the last few years since I really started confirming the numbers on my cells.....there hasn't been one pack from any of the reputable matchers that I previously mentioned that was off at all.....and as far as packs only performing at their peak for a short time like you mentioned.....We'll....nothing could be further from the truth......properly cared for packs...stored correctly....discharged , treyed , and maintenence zapped from time to time.....can easily hold "identical" numbers for "well over" 30 cycles.......I have some packs that have over 35cycles and are almost two years old, and they're pulling almost identical numbers as when they were new.....no exageration......