R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 311
Default front motor car

can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car
Attached Thumbnails
front motor car-01.jpg  
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,008
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car

The short answer is yes, you could race it. There's nothing in the rules prohibiting it. The real answer is that it probably would not be a competitive car.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ...building minis
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
The short answer is yes, you could race it. There's nothing in the rules prohibiting it. The real answer is that it probably would not be a competitive car.
....and to add to this, for $30 more you can have a competitive car from 3 Racing called the Sakura Zero S. See HKS Hobby's website. This is of similar quality to the R2, but this has a million upgrade parts available and they're all quite inexpensive!
__________________
Why don't we endurance race more often?
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Coelacanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Back in the 80's, Nichimo made some offroad buggies that were FWD. There are a lot of challenges for a FWD platform, especially offroad. There's not enough weight to really allow the front tires to grab; and when they do, the rear end tends to fish-tail all over the place. I've seen some guy's video of his Spirit FF in action and while it spun the fronts and sprayed dirt & gravel everywhere, it didn't really GET anywhere very efficiently.

I would assume an onroad FWD chassis would be at least a bit more effective but perhaps not enough to make it compelling performance-wise.
Coelacanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 311
Default

Sakura Zero S i just looked at nice car.But the hopups are pink Do they make any other colors.
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
YR4Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,625
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

You can race just about anything you want so long as it fits within the rules of what a TC is. Its all up to you as far as your ability to setup the car and your ability to drive the car.

However, some cars make that an easy task and some cars will make that a difficult one. If you're new to the hobby its best you work with a local hobby shop that can help you get started.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 311
Default

Thanks everybody
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
Back in the 80's, Nichimo made some offroad buggies that were FWD. There are a lot of challenges for a FWD platform, especially offroad. There's not enough weight to really allow the front tires to grab; and when they do, the rear end tends to fish-tail all over the place. I've seen some guy's video of his Spirit FF in action and while it spun the fronts and sprayed dirt & gravel everywhere, it didn't really GET anywhere very efficiently.

I would assume an onroad FWD chassis would be at least a bit more effective but perhaps not enough to make it compelling performance-wise.
The chassis he posted is front motor, but all wheel drive, not front wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
Sakura Zero S i just looked at nice car.But the hopups are pink Do they make any other colors.
No. Pink is the Sakura Zero color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
You can race just about anything you want so long as it fits within the rules of what a TC is. Its all up to you as far as your ability to setup the car and your ability to drive the car.

However, some cars make that an easy task and some cars will make that a difficult one. If you're new to the hobby its best you work with a local hobby shop that can help you get started.
Yep, you could race a 2x4 with bottle caps for wheels, if they allowed it, but you aren't going to do very well with it.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
ozzy-crawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Forde A.C.T
Posts: 990
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

the sakura zero s is way better quality than what r2 is selling.
does not take much to make it competitive.
yea it has some pink parts,but there more a purple/pink,that sort of grows on you,but with a body on you dont see it any way.
__________________
MST XXXD vip
MST FS-01d
Xray T4
Xray T3
AE Sc10.2 AE SCB
ozzy-crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
peter george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: queens ny
Posts: 8,831
Trader Rating: 355 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy-crawl View Post
the sakura zero s is way better quality than what r2 is selling.
does not take much to make it competitive.
yea it has some pink parts,but there more a purple/pink,that sort of grows on you,but with a body on you dont see it any way.
+1
__________________
Team Underdog - Team UPURZ -
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
The chassis he posted is front motor, but all wheel drive, not front wheel drive.
Which is the same configuration as the TA-03F which David Jun won a ROAR TC National with, so it can't be that bad.

Although, the TA-03F had the motor in front of the front wheels, this has the motor behind the front wheels, in the same place as the Losi Street Weapon, which also won a stack of titles (although it was never very popular, used to be called the Shelf Weapon). There were a number of mid-mounted motor cars in the early 2000s as well (motor directly in the centre of the chassis), there's not that much difference between this configuration and that one.

Edit: Looking more closely, this car may not be legal for the ISTC class, because of the aero work on the chassis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFMAR Rule Book
6.2.5 The chassis must not be shaped to gain an aerodynamic advantage. In principle, the underside of the chassis must be flat and parallel to the ground along the entire length of the body shell. Aerodynamic shaped parts (splitters/diffusers/tunnels/etc.) may not be fitted to the chassis.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

The street weapon was a really nice car to drive, until you had belt problems...

I regret have sold mine many years ago.

The Sakura is defenitely a good inexpensive car to look at when you start racing, and you can update it as your wallet permits.

Do not expect to be on par with a cheap Chinese copy of a TC car, and think that you need to find parts easily.
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,072
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
The street weapon was a really nice car to drive, until you had belt problems...

I regret have sold mine many years ago.
I still race a XX-4 (original) which is the offroad car the Street Weapon was based on. I rarely have any belt issues because it is fully enclosed and I'm only driving Stock (17.5 non-boosted) with it, but changing the Spur gear is a total pain. It's still a fantastic car though, it jumps and handles as well as any modern car.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
bakaguyjean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atsugi Japan
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco72 View Post
can u race a front motor car.R2 is selling it for 79.00 but it's for drifting but i would like to make it a onroad car
This car is a very specialized Drift,it has counter steering front suspension so it would make a very bad touring car. It is a great Drift car but it will never handle like a touring car. The front wheels actually go over center. Also drift cars of this level are not worried about hitting anything as Drift cars are really slow.Below is a different car with the same idea. Best to look at a different car.
Attached Thumbnails
front motor car-3868-lbl_3.jpg  
bakaguyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
alcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: kuala lumpur,malaysia
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

This cars design is very interesting, 3 belts, motor and batteries in the centerline of the chassis, the fundamental design is good, but i doubt it will perform well becuase its too plasticky. The chassis, shock towers are all plastic. not to mention the suspension upper links which are negative ly inclined, the inner points are higher than the outer points..good for drift but bad for touring. i have no doubt this could be a good car with a graphite chassis, graphite shock towers and better suspension.
__________________
http://kawada-alcyon.blogspot.com/
http://superturbooptimamidspecialzx-5.blogspot.com/
kawada sv10 alcyon 3-sanwa mx3x-orca vx v4.1 software-team powers 13.5 motor-turnigy 4200 shorty lipo-savox 1251 servo RIDE RE32
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Corally RDX Touring Car Kenshin Electric On-Road 10561 11-21-2015 12:54 AM
JQ Products - THE Car Beddo Nitro Off-Road 12022 09-24-2015 04:55 AM
1/10th pan car Taz_S Oval, Larger Scales and More 16138 09-25-2014 10:03 AM
Rc Stuff For Sale (esc, Motor, Car) [HPI]RS43s R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 31 12-23-2003 12:30 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net