R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Everyones job

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
position? In IFMAR qualifing there is no first place or last place everyone is on there own clock ????? so there is only fast cars and slow cars. If your one of the slow cars you must yeild to faster traffic . there should be no battles for position at all.
Well, that is true, we were talking about heads up racing not IFMAR.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #32
Mal

The problem with that thought .... IFMAR qualifying is there to group people according to their skill levels. Head-up quals throws luck into the equation which, in my opinion, should not play a more important role than talent.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: Everyones job

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cup
Well, that is true, we were talking about heads up racing not IFMAR.
dont mean to step on your toes but........ If you would have read the quote above my post we were talking about I F M A R qualifing

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Well, I like IFMAR. I think is the better way because you're racing the clock not the other drivers, less hacking going on(especially at the starts), which all makes for less arguments. Plus, I think, believe it or not, IFMAR qualifying may even help keep the track together for offroad classes.
MikeAbrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeAbrams
Well, I like IFMAR. I think is the better way because you're racing the clock not the other drivers, less hacking going on(especially at the starts), which all makes for less arguments. Plus, I think, believe it or not, IFMAR qualifying may even help keep the track together for offroad classes.
amen brotha

'OL BUZZARD FARMING (lol)
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Everyones job

Quote:
Originally posted by howard hudson
dont mean to step on your toes but........ If you would have read the quote above my post we were talking about I F M A R qualifing
No problem at all bud!!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #37
Tech Regular

From a spectators view, Ifmar is no good. If we are going to aqcuire more racers/hobbyist, headsup is the only way to go.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Talking Battle Bots

Quote:
Originally posted by mtc3od
From a spectators view, Ifmar is no good. If we are going to aqcuire more racers/hobbyist, headsup is the only way to go.
I agree with you on that, especially when the Nitro cars are running......You can hear spectatators getting excited about the battles on the track. Any class for that matter when there is a good batlle anyone will cheer for.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:47 PM   #39
Tech Adept

IFMAR qualifying all the way!

The quality of IFMAR depends a lot on the racers and the race director. I have found that if you become friends with the other drivers, you will have much more courtesy on the track from them. It's easy to take out someone you don't know, it a lot more difficult if they are your friend. It isn't fair, but it is true.

Unless we change our qualifying process to go by points for position in each heat, we should NEVER have any racing for position going on in qualifiers. I will agree that for spectators it may be more exciting, but how many tickets get sold for spectators at the tracks? We are not in a spectator sport, this is a hobby where the participants do all the funding.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:52 PM   #40
Tech Regular

I think that we are in a spectator sport. The problem is that the general public don't know enough to become interested. If you saw pictures from the 1/8th scale off road worlds, there were hundreds of people around the track.
mtc3od is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Talking Wish in one hand and $h^t in the other

Quote:
Originally posted by gotpez
I will agree that for spectators it may be more exciting, but how many tickets get sold for spectators at the tracks? We are not in a spectator sport, this is a hobby where the participants do all the funding.
I wish we could sell tickets. The way we are getting spectators into this is by having 6 cars next year that we can pull spectators in to run for a quick 3 minute race to try to get them in. You may only get a few here and there, but it is worth a shot to grow the hobby/sport.

We have had a few races in the past where each class went out and did 5 laps and we took their best time and that was their qualifying. We only allowed two cars on the track at a time and when one was done another came out but we never had more than two out their and they were a half track apart most of the time. Then we ran two heat races and a main. We qualified and then raced all day long. It was different and people really enjoyed it.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:45 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Everyones job

Quote:
What if a car your lapping is racing for position?? He has to maintain his position and should never just pull over for anyone.
I will assume you are talking about IFMAR style qualifying here.

First of all, as was indicated by someone else already, in IFMAR qualifying your "position" should not play a role in your decision to move over. In fact it should not even be a factor that you might be a lap up on the faster car that is coming up behind. In IFMAR style racing you should ALLWAYS let the faster car go by. This is why I have to agree that for club races heads up starts are preferable while for the bigger events either the Reedy format or IFMAR qualifying and staggered start finals should be used.

However I do have a word of caution though, make sure even at the club or inter-club level you occasionally run events using IFMAR style qualifying so everyone can get used to the different "thinking"required. Note that since the slower car should allways make room, the thinking for the faster driver should be different too. Instead of trying to make the pass immediately, it is sometimes best to give the slower car one or two corners to let you past the easy way.

Quote:
Isn't that what communicating on the drivers stand is for. I am a race director and there should be both. The cars being lapped should hold their line and the fast guys should be able to get by no problem. Between all the drivers on the stand communicating and the race announcer calling the action, it should be really good. The problem is not all of the above happens and it should.
These statements surprise me, especially coming from a race director. On major events talking on the stand is forbidden... Only if your car stops in the middle of the track are you allowed to call out to warn other drivers to watch out for it. On major events (and actually I would hope less major events) it is allways the race director possible in concert with referees if present that should communicate to the drivers. Again for IFMAR style racing it is important that instructions are given to slower drivers if a faster car is catching them. Ideally though such instructions should not be necessary.

And then he woke up
Old 10-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #43
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BHenderson Send a message via MSN to BHenderson Send a message via Yahoo to BHenderson

IFMAR is the way to go even at a club race level. Our club used to do heads up qualifying and we had A LOT of hacking problems, esp. the horrible first corner pile up, not to mention the arguements in the pits and the stands about all the hacking.

The club made a decision to switch to IFMAR starts, at first some of the guys had a problem with remembering that they were racing their own clock instead of each other. There are a few who still have that problem lol. IFMAR starts have all but done away with our hacking in qualifying and has allowed everyone a better chance to qualify for position in the mains, rather than dealing with who hacked who.
BHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Everyones got good points here.

Quote:
Originally posted by BHenderson
IFMAR is the way to go even at a club race level. Our club used to do heads up qualifying and we had A LOT of hacking problems, esp. the horrible first corner pile up, not to mention the arguements in the pits and the stands about all the hacking.

The club made a decision to switch to IFMAR starts, at first some of the guys had a problem with remembering that they were racing their own clock instead of each other. There are a few who still have that problem lol. IFMAR starts have all but done away with our hacking in qualifying and has allowed everyone a better chance to qualify for position in the mains, rather than dealing with who hacked who.
I agree with you on the big pile ups. The one way we got around that was a restart if there were more than 3 cars involved. The pile ups have gone away after having to restart a couple of times. I see everyones point on the qualifying being against the clock and not each other, but we all just want to race each other all day long and we are having fun which at the club level is most important. At the big races it makes sense for sure.

Last edited by Silver Cup; 10-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Silver Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Thumbs down Everyones job

Quote:
Originally posted by tonyv
These statements surprise me, especially coming from a race director. On major events talking on the stand is forbidden... Only if your car stops in the middle of the track are you allowed to call out to warn other drivers to watch out for it. On major events (and actually I would hope less major events) it is allways the race director possible in concert with referees if present that should communicate to the drivers. Again for IFMAR style racing it is important that instructions are given to slower drivers if a faster car is catching them. Ideally though such instructions should not be necessary.

And then he woke up
Well just as your surprised, so am I. Not talking on the drivers stand is rediculous, especially at a club event, come on this aint freakin NASCAR or Formula One man. Talking to each other on the stand is fine, especially when telling someone "Going High" or "Goin Low" to let a faster car by. I have given the same instruction to cars on the track....So and so "The leader is coming up on you" I encourage our guys to communicate because between them and the race director that is the idea to keep each other informed. I am not and don't ever plan to run a race where people are going to be so uptight about it being FORBIDDEN to talk to one another on the stand, that is unbelieveable. What ever happened to freedom of being able to speak.

Agree to dissagree TonyV