Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best and strongest cooling fan >

Best and strongest cooling fan

Like Tree10Likes

Best and strongest cooling fan

Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Someone that hat pays attention nice.

I designed a fan shroud 6 months ago and found higher temps if the Scroud was mounted to close to the motor. In fact I found higher temps if the fan was mounted to close to the motor without the fan scroud as well.

Even the motors with well ventilated cans need a little space between the shroud and the motor so you get the benefit of cooling from inside and outside.

Bill

Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
I've always liked the WTF fans, but I just did mount up a R1 fan and it's even better. As far as ducts? Just be careful how you mount the ducting. I've seen some people mount the duct up against the motor. If there are no holes in the motor, then you deadhead the fan and it will flow zero air. I mounted a duct and found my motor came off hotter than without a duct.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my fans arrived....
anthonyscardina and Bry195 like this.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by airsiler3 View Post
Someone that hat pays attention nice.

I designed a fan shroud 6 months ago and found higher temps if the Scroud was mounted to close to the motor. In fact I found higher temps if the fan was mounted to close to the motor without the fan scroud as well.

Even the motors with well ventilated cans need a little space between the shroud and the motor so you get the benefit of cooling from inside and outside.

Bill

you need to mount them about 10mm away from the motor too close to the motor the magnet strength from the rotor will slow the fan down
silden likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
my fans arrived....
Better have this thing at the track on Saturday, my 1/28 needs a jet booster
Nerobro likes this.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lat Weekend one of the fastest stock racer at TQRCRacing bought the Direct Flow Fan Shroud and installed per my information.
His R1 V21 17.5 came off with 182F before installing the Fan Shroud and the Temperature dropped to 156F after installing it.

The main issue is that the most people measure the motor temperature at the wrong position on the motor.
You have to measure the Temps directly in the motor at the coils or rotor and not on the stack or sensor board.
Or use the Temperature function of your ESC they use the RTD of the Sensor board wich is installed quite close to the Coils and rotor.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silden View Post
Lat Weekend one of the fastest stock racer at TQRCRacing bought the Direct Flow Fan Shroud and installed per my information.
His R1 V21 17.5 came off with 182F before installing the Fan Shroud and the Temperature dropped to 156F after installing it.

The main issue is that the most people measure the motor temperature at the wrong position on the motor.
You have to measure the Temps directly in the motor at the coils or rotor and not on the stack or sensor board.
Or use the Temperature function of your ESC they use the RTD of the Sensor board wich is installed quite close to the Coils and rotor.
I always double check my esc with the Wifi module
silden likes this.