R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Tyres, how long do they last ?

Hi,

I searched but coudn't find the answer. I use Sorex, mostly 32's outdoors and 28JB's indoors. How many 5min runs do they really last for on asphalt and carpet ? When my car feels hard to drive or loose and I try changing this and that on the cat but nothing helps, stick new boots on and it's on rails again.

Thanks.
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

All depends on driving style, surface, setup etc...

Rubber on carpet last for a while and new rubber doesn't make a huge difference.

Asphalt is the other way around...lasts maybe a weekend and there's nothing like fresh rubber (usually).

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also depends quite a bit on how much motor is in the car and how hard you drive it. Tires will last the shortest amount of time with a modified motor on asphalt with an aggressive driver.

A high turn motor with no boost and a smooth driver...Tires will last a very long time.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

S.A.W how long did it last for you?

You might want to try sanding the tires to breathe new life into them. Avoid sanding near the sidewalls.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I typically run tyres to the ground, and Sorex's have always been more durable than others. Ran 40R on asphalt with 17.5 boosted and they take forever to wear to the belt. An estimation would be about 30 packs?

Looking to try the Sweep R series, the one with the high sidewalls. from a translated sweep website, it supposedly lasts 50 packs in modified.
Link
zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
S.A.W how long did it last for you?

You might want to try sanding the tires to breathe new life into them. Avoid sanding near the sidewalls.
Not long enough I've got some 28JB's with loads of runs on them but my others I use on asphalt I reakon about 7-8 runs max. I've got some which are pretty grained but never tried sanding them, what grade wet/dry should I use ?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Not long enough I've got some 28JB's with loads of runs on them but my others I use on asphalt I reakon about 7-8 runs max. I've got some which are pretty grained but never tried sanding them, what grade wet/dry should I use ?
SAW. - It also depends what inserts You use and how much airgap. If You use Sorex C inserts with a lot of airgap, Your laptimes will be better, but the lifetime of the tires will be a lot worse. - If You use B inserts with less airgap, the lifetime will increase and laptimes will be a little bit worse (0,1-0,4sec)
And so on.
*SBH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Blues for the 28JB's and yellows in the 32's, sometimes greys.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
That's asphalt for ya....

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Tech Regular

I'm using sets that are nearly 3 meetings old no wonder I have no grip just seems mad throwing them away !
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SBH* View Post
SAW. - It also depends what inserts You use and how much airgap. If You use Sorex C inserts with a lot of airgap, Your laptimes will be better, but the lifetime of the tires will be a lot worse. - If You use B inserts with less airgap, the lifetime will increase and laptimes will be a little bit worse (0,1-0,4sec)
And so on.
Hi can u maybe tel me wher whe could read up what different inserts small , big holes in rims and so on is doing
thanks
diffscrew is offline   Reply With Quote