Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Resistance Wire Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Lowest Resistance Wire Connectors?

I was curious to know what everyone thinks is the lowest resistance battery/motor connection.

I currently solder my ESC wires to the battery using Deans bars (bent in an L shape), but i'm getting tired of lugging around my iron. I've heard that as you continually solder and desolder the wires you can add more resistance to the wire since the solder moves up the wire, not to mention the additional unnecessary heat to the batteries or other electrics.

I was considering soldering on a small eyeloop to the battery wires and tapping a small hole on the deans connector so I could screw down the eyeloop. This solution could perhaps provide less resistance, more convenience for battery changes, and less tools to bring to the track (or at least set-up).

Does anyone know if a clean connection (solderless) yet one that is firmly held into place is better than a soldered connection?

Also, Yes I've seen and used both Deans and Plug/Socket style connectors. I use saddle packs so using Deans connectors make the pack kinda gangly.....

Thanks for the reponse.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Deans have the lowest resistance for connectors, but that's still more than direct soldering.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It is possible to make lower resistance connections without soldering, but it isn't easy. Considering that there are already 12 soldered connections in a battery anyway, two contact connections are not going to make a huge difference. Your loop connection idea is pretty good. You have to keep both surfaces clean and when they are bolted together they need to be tight. The use of Belville (I always though they were bevel) washers may help to keep things tight through heat cycling. Some of the motor connectors used on brushless motors are very good connectors and are better than deans. They are also separate from eachother so you will be able to use them on saddle packs.

Look at this

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/guide/gstv-e.pdf

The connector at the top of that page can be used without the shells. I have seen those plugs soldered directly to the battery terminals.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Get some corrally plugs they are the best for low restance connections. Unless you direct solder.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Connector Resistance (ohms)
Tamiya / JST / Kyosho 1.2
Deans 0.55
Powerpole 0.75
Corally / Orion 0.75

http://www.schumacher.clara.net/cooling.htm

A bad direct solder connection will have a higher resistance than any of the connectors shown above
Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

but shouldn't we also take into consideration that deans plugs require an extra 4 solder joints??

I think those results were measured directly from the connectors themselves rather than including the solder joints needed to use them.....

correct me if im wrong...
Old 10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'd like to wager that connector resistance never did cost anyone the World Championship
Old 10-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

I agree, a cold solder joint coming off could cost you the race!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Deans are good for regular racers and are convenient,, stick with those.. you have to consider that you can swap batts with your friends too.

for hardcore racing.. hard solder..

Too lazy to carry a soldering iron? Just mooch off a racing buddy.,.
Attached Thumbnails Lowest Resistance Wire Connectors?-pinup1bmx2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

just a thought....

V=I*R

deans connector R=0.0009ohms

Voltage(drop @ 30A) = 30A*0.0009ohms = 0.027V

Thats the same difference between a 1.178v pack and a 1.183 pack.....

People pay extra $20 for that same amount of difference when buying cells.......

But then again...i could have worked it out wrong.....

btw, im on both sides here....
Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

From measurements that I have made at work, a good solder joint has about 150 micro ohms of resistance (0.000150). There are 12 joints on the battery itself including the tabs soldered on to the end cells to make solder tabs. That is 0.0018 ohms for just the battery connections. The best connection is made without solder. So to take full advantage of your 1.180 cells you should not use battery bars. Just some food for thought.

FYI the chart found on this page

http://www.schumacher.clara.net/cooling.htm

Should probably have resistance measured in milliohms and not ohms. If it were ohms, deans would melt with 20 amps flowing. 20^2 * 0.55 = 220 Watts!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

i use deans on the motor and corralys on the b82rez and im always in the top 3 and every1 else uses solder conection ............................just use whatevers easyest exept for tamiya connectors or venom connectors
Old 10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trinity R-Minus style connectors are my personal favorite (easy to use with saddle cars too)
Old 10-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Deans connectors are hands down the best. I would rather have 4 good solder joints on my connectors than a solder joint that has been soldered and unsoldered dozens of times. Plus if my pack happens to pull my connector apart. I probably want to stop because something would be wrong. I do solder on my 12th scale tho for weight and room.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

i use deans on the motor and corralys on the b82rez and im always in the top 3 and every1 else uses solder conection
Not meaning to be rude...... but i dont understand why people make comments like that.......

Hara could use tamiya plugs and kick everyones butt............. but does that mean tamiya plugs are better and are of least resistance??

I was curious to know what everyone thinks is the lowest resistance battery/motor connection.
I think that was the main question......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.