R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How many Batteries (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/520015-how-many-batteries.html)

koopesv 06-04-2011 06:21 AM

How many Batteries

Im rather new to onroad and wanted to know how many lipos do you use during a race day. And do you use more than one on big race days. I just wanna make sure I spend my money wisely.

So should I buy two mid-range batteries or buy one good battery. Im running 10.5 with a 30c any input would be great.

J-PaP 06-04-2011 06:34 AM

Can you buy 2 good ones?

I use 2 for when racing mini

3 when racing touring cars.

But two is enough and you just recharge them after each race (though with mini I'll do two races on each pack for the final races.)

20 SMOKE 06-04-2011 06:39 AM

one for each car i own

UrabusDenis 06-04-2011 06:42 AM

Two is the minimum , however the best is to have 3 batteries , one for each qualification and final . If you plan on racing , it's best to buy only good batteries

texastc 06-04-2011 06:43 AM

I use 1 all day on a race day. charge between rounds, sometimes

koopesv 06-04-2011 06:45 AM

I only have one car for now and I will have another for the winter indoors. So how many MAH 6000 or would that be a little to heavy.

Another question where can I find a motor kv rating chart.

Bishop 06-04-2011 06:56 AM

You ideally need two, but you may end up wanting three, though in a pinch you can get away with one.

With one you will always have to be on top of charging, not great when you need to marshal etc, and you won't always get it toped up in time if it's not a club/meet with numbers to spread out the heats.

With two you can get by ok, odds are you won't be left waiting unless you forget something, though your batteries still won't get a chance to rest as such, one will likely be charging and the other ready to go in the car.

With three, it's golden, forget or be lazy and you still won't be left hanging, better yet a pack can rest after it's been used (which in theory is good for them).

As for kv, well it's different with all the brands, if you need to know the kv of a motor from brand X, you will have to go web surfing to their site and check the specs, for example I had a SP 10.5T and it was 3800kv I think, then got a Hobbywing and it's 3300kv, so no chart will likely exist.

UrabusDenis 06-04-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by koopesv (Post 9208278)
I only have one car for now and I will have another for the winter indoors. So how many MAH 6000 or would that be a little to heavy.

Another question where can I find a motor kv rating chart.

I think 6000 is too much , because it's heavier and more expensive . It's better to have 2 5000 packs than one 6000+ . Also , forgot to add , you don't need to buy top brands such as LRP . There are plenty of great packs at great prices . For example , I run LiPOs from CS Electronic which is a German manufacter most of you probably never heard of , and I get great results with them . It's important that they are hardcase and ROAR/EFRA legal , 99% of batteries which fulfill those conditions are good ;)

koopesv 06-04-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis (Post 9208330)
I think 6000 is too much , because it's heavier and more expensive . It's better to have 2 5000 packs than one 6000+ . Also , forgot to add , you don't need to buy top brands such as LRP . There are plenty of great packs at great prices . For example , I run LiPOs from CS Electronic which is a German manufacter most of you probably never heard of , and I get great results with them . It's important that they are hardcase and ROAR/EFRA legal , 99% of batteries which fulfill those conditions are good ;)

I know, I run gens ace and people look at like what's that but I never had a problem with them, I just need a higher c rating.