Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Info on Fantom Facts Dynamometer >

Info on Fantom Facts Dynamometer

Info on Fantom Facts Dynamometer

Old 05-14-2002, 02:50 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Info on Fantom Facts Dynamometer

Does anyone ever used or heard anything about the Fantom Facts Dynamometer. Is it any good? Comments?

Thank you in advance

Nick

Last edited by nnick; 05-14-2002 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

It is good for 4 cell but not so good for 6 cell because it can only run the motor at 5.4 volts.

Speedo
Old 05-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not true, if you have beta version 6 you can turn off the voltage regulator. Although this is to be done at your own risk. It's a great tool for tuning motors as it is with ANY dyno. You'll mostly just get opinions from people who have that perticular dyno. Plus the windows Facts program can convert your 5 volt readings to 7.2volt. Like I said... dyno's are just tuning tools. The real dyno is a stop watch at the race track.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Well, if you can set it to dyno constantly at 7 or 7.5 volts, then it could be used well for 6 cell.

I don't think you can accurately convert 5 volt readings into 7.5. You really have to dyno the motor at 7.5. Many motors that look great at 5 volts may be horrible at 7.5 and visa versa.

I would get the CE Turbo Dyno, if you can find one.

Speedo
Old 05-14-2002, 10:06 PM
Shop Owner

Thanks a lot for the input

I found a broken CE which I'll send to for repair and updgrade! It would be cheaper for me and I'll also have better equipment!!

Thanks again

Nick
Old 05-15-2002, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

If you know how to use a dyno properly then you can get good results no matter what the test voltage is at.

There is no better place to test a motor than on the track. Once you are happy with it's performance you can run it on your dyno to establish a baseline. After this is accomplished it will make it easier to tune motors because you have the established baseline.

Any dyno that is currently available is a good tuning tool. Case in point, Mike Reedy uses the CE and I think he has a Robi, Fantom uses the Fantom dyno of course, and Jim D. uses the Robi but before Trinity started importing the Robi he used a Fantom.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

good luck nick
Old 05-15-2002, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also forgot to point out that with the Fantom, you can use one of your racing packs to run the dyno instead of a car battery. Some people like this and some who haven't tried it don't. It's just another way to dyno your motor with the battery that you will be using it on. Makes more sense like this. Anyways, they guy I bought the Fantom off of went to a CE dyno I beleive. He races off road. I race on road. I dunno, maybe he knows something? Anyways, get a dyno and have fun! But don't forget to track test as well! You might find it a better investment to get the Orion Personal Lap Counter....
Old 05-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Shop Owner

I thank you all for your opinions!

Nick