Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone not run a servo saver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Does anyone not run a servo saver?

I'm considering not running a servo saver for my TC. Anybody doing this with success?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the direct feel of the car without a servo-saver, but you need to be careful. One good hit and say bye-bye to your servo gears. What servo are you running and do you hit a lot of stuff? Is your track forgiving if you clip a turn/corner? I like running without a saver, but on some tracks I'll run one. Usually the Tamiya Black saver with an aluminum horn (a must for this saver).
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

I'm trying to run a mini servo with my photon but it's profile is too low so the conventional 12th scale servo saver won't allow me to lay it flush. Maybe there are other servo savers out there. I'll look around.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dont do it Pakk.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

I am using a bls451 in my TC6 without saver for long time. Mini servo I don't think it is a good idea.......
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

lol i know.....
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

It depends ... For example , we run 1/10 outdoors on a really large track with nothing to hit , so nobody has a servo saver . On indoor 1/18 carpet however it's a different story . I destroyed 2 servos on my M18 last year even though I have an Atomic servo saver ( which needs an American screw , I don't know how to explain it in English , hope you understand ... )
Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pakk

A good friend of mine is running a 12th scale servo in his TC for almost a year now. It works great for him. I dont like the feeling of it, but I'm not sure, maybe I didn't test enough.

Im running no servo saver for years in My TC. Outdoors that's really no problem. I'm using a plastic servo horn for indoors, so whit a good hit, the plastic teeth in the horn get destroyd instead of the servo. It works for me

Regards
Robert
Old 06-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.

I ended up sanding the chassis down a bit to allow the servo saver to clear. Looks like bad weather for us this weekend and big off road race the next, so I might not be able to test it for a few weeks.

As far as the 12th scale servo deal, some of these smaller servos exceed normal sized and low profile servos. I picked up a cheap one from ebay for $30. Specs are something like .08 and 70oz or torque. Being that my TC weights less than 50oz, that should be enough, at least on paper it should be.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
I'm trying to run a mini servo with my photon but it's profile is too low so the conventional 12th scale servo saver won't allow me to lay it flush. Maybe there are other servo savers out there. I'll look around.
use the associated saver from the mgt kit. strong as balls. you may even want to remove the outter spring. test it with servo powered up. ideally, the saver's 'break torque' exceeds the servo torque, but not the holding power.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Or a Kimbrough servo saver They're awsome and doesn't tend to wear out like some other do...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Pakk. I wouldn't run with no servo saver on a Photon. Even with an upgraded alloy bellcrank, the corrugated end piece of the bellcrank that the steering linkages connect to is still plastic and can break pretty easily, even with a servo saver. A friend of mine broke 3 in a weekend and then switched cars because of it. They don't sell just that piece, so you have to buy a complete replacement plastic bellcrank set. Fortunately, I've only had one break ever. I use a Kimborough servo saver on one of my cars and a TOP servo saver on my other one. I like the TOP servo saver. The Kimborough medium rubs the chassis without some modification. The TOP one does not.

Last edited by locked; 06-04-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: cognitive flatulence
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default saver

I have a top photon too. I was running mine with out. I destroyed the gears sets in two of my orion LPF servos. I also run a cougar SV offroad. There is a mod out to get a saver in there which I should have done it. As I lost another orion in a hit. I am hoping the savox gear sets will work to fix these. I running tamiya ones now... No more issues..