R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Serpent 1:10 F1 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/519505-serpent-1-10-f1.html)

BullFrog 06-05-2011 06:42 PM

One of my points is like 3racing and tamiya both out of rear pod parts and frontend parts. When will they arrive - who knows.They been out for a month.
Your going to say when they first came out in the 1990's the Tamiya with 1/12th tires vs the HPI with 1/10th wheels and tires were equal. Everyone went to 1/10th tires. Just like the Corally. They used the same bodies as the Tamiya's. I'd be willing to bet the new Serpent will have there front end and will be a pan car with 1/10th tires.;)

Team Lotus 06-05-2011 06:59 PM

Unfortunately you are probably right that the new Serpent F1 car will be like the Corally, and be a pan car disguised as an F1 car. F1 rc racing started out as "scale realistic" racing, and should stay as such. Look what happened to 4WD touring car racing; when it first started to be popular over here it was because the cars were relatively easy to drive(due to the 4WD), and could be driven on less than perfect surfaces(again due to the 4WD). Also, not to be overlooked, was the fact that at the time they came with bodies that looked like REAL cars that the public could identify with, and with cool looking scale wheels. Now they have become ultra-expensive, and they use bodies that don't even represent any real car anymore; and they all race on those gawd-awful looking white solid dish wheels. The original intent of the touring car class has been lost and ruined by those who demand "ultimate performance" over affordable, scale looking cars and racing, which has priced many out of the class altogether! $400-500 rolling chassis for Pete's sake!! Ridiculous!! What a shame! I don't want to see that happen to rc F1 racing!! It should remain as a "scale" class!!!

Damnit Man 06-05-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Team Lotus (Post 9213826)
Unfortunately you are probably right that the new Serpent F1 car will be like the Corally, and be a pan car disguised as an F1 car. F! rc racing started out as "scale realistic" racing, and should stay as such. look what happened to 4WD touring car racing; when it first started to be popular over here it was because the cars were relatively easy to drive(due to the 4WD), and could be driven on less than perfect surfaces(again due to the 4WD). Also, not to be overlooked, was the fact that at the time they came with bodies that looked like REAL cars that the public could identify with, and with cool looking scale wheels. Now they have become ultra-expensive, and they use bodies that don't even represent any real car anymore; and they all race on those gawd-awful looking white solid dish wheels. The original intent of the touring car class has been lost and ruined by those who demand "ultimate performance" over affordable, scale looking cars and racing, which has priced many out of the class altogether! $400-500 rolling chassis for Pete's sake!! Ridiculous!! What a shame! I don't want to see that happen to rc F1 racing!! It should remain as a "scale" class!!!

Please allow me to point out your contradiction in the bold text in your post... Guys, racing isn't cheap. No matter how cheap a class starts, you will always have people trying to be faster than the other guy which in turn costs money and time to do. THAT'S RACING! Racing is not about looks, and it's not about having fun per say, it is about beating the competition. To me that is fun, even if it is for nothing, competition, not looks, not how cheap it is, I just want to beat the guy I am running against. There is also nothing spec about spec racing, it is an illusion or dream to many.

Team Lotus 06-05-2011 07:59 PM

Damnit Man, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you; and I believe there is a place for "scale" racing, and I believe that F1 should remain "scale" racing, and not be ruined by those like you who don't care about scale looks and want only "ultimate performance".

Not all of us think that racing is only about beating the other guy at all cost. Some of us believe that racing can be affordable and fun, and scale. In fact, it is common knowledge that what is becoming more and more popular in both on and off-road racing is "scale racing", where the vehicles look like the real thing. In off-road it is Short Course racing where they look like real trucks; and in on-road it is classes like F1 and some others that promote "scale realistic" car racing that is gaining in popularity. Your "performance at all cost" type racing is what nearly killed on-road racing altogether as more and more people were priced right out of it and they lost interest in cars that didn't even look real anymore. Too technical, and too expensive! You are promoting a "blind alley".

CR0SS 06-05-2011 08:09 PM

When it comes to racing RC is cheap. Another reason these scale classes are becoming popular is because of the hobby aspect of RC. Some of us are modelers that also want to race our models. Look at the popularity of things like scale crawlers, VTA, GT, and even in a way Short Course. People are building models of the real things then want to go out and race them. F1 is no different. This is why I like seeing things like the concourse judging integrated with the racing. Having a very well built model gives you extra points towards the overall win. For those that just want all out speed you have the touring car classes. Then there are those of us that want a scale model and then tweak it to get the best performance possible out of it. Me personally I find that more satisfying. Now we just need to get the manufactures away from the solid rear axle and give us IRS.

Team Lotus 06-05-2011 08:20 PM

Thank you CROSS; you obviously "get it".

I agree with you 100%, especially with regards to getting rid of the solid rear axle and replacing it with IRS to make F1 even more "scale realistic"!!

Thank you

Damnit Man 06-06-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Team Lotus (Post 9214141)
Damnit Man, I'm sorry but I don't agree with you; and I believe there is a place for "scale" racing, and I believe that F1 should remain "scale" racing, and not be ruined by those like you who don't care about scale looks and want only "ultimate performance".

Not all of us think that racing is only about beating the other guy at all cost. Some of us believe that racing can be affordable and fun, and scale. In fact, it is common knowledge that what is becoming more and more popular in both on and off-road racing is "scale racing", where the vehicles look like the real thing. In off-road it is Short Course racing where they look like real trucks; and in on-road it is classes like F1 and some others that promote "scale realistic" car racing that is gaining in popularity. Your "performance at all cost" type racing is what nearly killed on-road racing altogether as more and more people were priced right out of it and they lost interest in cars that didn't even look real anymore. Too technical, and too expensive! You are promoting a "blind alley".

I understand that, I just don't think that a class that starts out cheap stays that way. Look at SC as an example. Starts out with Traxxas trucks, with realistic tires, and now we are running T4s in disguise with ribbed tires on the front and pin tires in the back. People and companies will always find ways to stretch the rules to get the advantage. That is racing.
Also to be somewhat on topic, I like the idea of this car possibly using 10th scale foam tires. WGT tires work great on my COrally F1 and last long too. I find it is much easier to drive than my newer HPI F1 that has rubber tires.

BullFrog 06-06-2011 05:27 AM

I agree with Damnit Man. I go out and have fun racing. That Cheap Tamiya car that won the first on-road nationals in Naples was a plastic car. You want the Tamiya competition car now it up there in price. But you can still get their plastic versions cheaper.
Look at the company now offering the competition parts for that cheap Tamiya.Before you know it you spent as much or more that a TC for that cheap F1. Now compair that to the Corally and New Serpent and they are cheaper and handle better.Oh and they use the exact same bodies (realistic). The only thing you don't like is the tires.

bakaguyjean 06-06-2011 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by BullFrog (Post 9215648)
I agree with Damnit Man. I go out and have fun racing. That Cheap Tamiya car that won the first on-road nationals in Naples was a plastic car. You want the Tamiya competition car now it up there in price. But you can still get their plastic versions cheaper.
Look at the company now offering the competition parts for that cheap Tamiya.Before you know it you spent as much or more that a TC for that cheap F1. Now compair that to the Corally and New Serpent and they are cheaper and handle better.Oh and they use the exact same bodies (realistic). The only thing you don't like is the tires.

Its the tires that people dont like.If they use 1/12th scale wheels I dont have a problem with it.Some people dont like the front suspension,but I dont worry about that. Im doing laps while other people are screwing around with set up,also they are not as strong as the simple Tamiya arms.They also nickle and dime you with maintence. They work better for 1/12th than they do for open wheel F1.
Its will be interesting to see what way they will go with the chassis,either Pan car or scale.

robk 06-06-2011 05:37 PM

The best Tamiya car I have is an F103 with all fiberglass chassis parts.

You can point out how this class or that has gotten out of control, but it's only because we have let it. Everyone knows what will happen, so the bs needs to be stopped at the outset. The people who cry because they can't do whatever they please on their way to ruining another class should not be placated.

Pretty simple, all suspension pickups inside the body, rear wheels mount with a single nut on a hex drive. That eliminates 90% of the problems right there.

JR007 06-06-2011 07:18 PM

^^ This guy for president :)

gpm-parts.com 06-06-2011 11:02 PM

This may not be the first 1/10 electric F1 by serpent. I don't know anyone remember but back in the 80's or early 90's serpent have a pan car call ten-force? And on the box (or in the manual) they show the car is avaliable as a pan car or and F1!!! :D

2wdrive 06-06-2011 11:41 PM

the serpent tenforce was not a pancar. It was a 2wd independent suspension chassis with shocks. It was gone quite fast i believe.

gpm-parts.com 06-06-2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2wdrive (Post 9220548)
the serpent tenforce was not a pancar. It was a 2wd independent suspension chassis with shocks. It was gone quite fast i believe.

Yes, it was quite fast I remember it was keeping up with the 1/8 nitro on the straight!! But the suspension is a joke as the arms are so soft......

2wdrive 06-07-2011 12:09 AM

lol, not exactly what i meant with gone quite fast but never mind :D