Wiki Posts
Search

Track Building

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Track Building

Since I am working on a track right now I thought I might not be the only one that could use help on selecting materials and knowing what to do in certain situations. The surface I am working on is about an inch and a half deep asphalt over concrete. I am wondering what is the best material to use for the interior borders and what is the best way to anchor them down?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

I hear crickets......

Does anyone know if you can bend PVC tubing with a heat gun? How about the square PVC?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

a few tracks around here use vynal fence posts and use small pieces of 2x4 to join the sections together

and for gradual ans sweeping bends they use 1/8 plastic strips similar to what is used for flappers at races like the snow birds
Old 06-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I hear crickets......

Does anyone know if you can bend PVC tubing with a heat gun? How about the square PVC?
Round PVC can be easily bent using a heat gun. To make a corner section for a 90* bend, make a form using some 2x4's to help hold the pipe while bending. Heat the PVC evenly, all around the pipe and through the entire section that you need to bend. This is the hard part as the pipe will crimp at spots that have softened more. If it starts to crimp, cool it down with a wet towel, than re-heat it. It should come back to shape with a little manipulation. When you get the pipe bent into shape, cool it with the wet towel and that's it.

I am using NuTone central vac PCV which is a lot more flexible than regular PVC. It's a bit harder to bend as it softens really quick but it has been working great at my track for corners. Flexes more so it doesn't break at the connection points plus it's a lot cheaper than standard PVC.

For straight sections I'm using square vinyl downspout which works great. I don't think square vinyl can be bent without crimping. Square pipe with a bend has likely been extruded.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks guys. I have considered vinyl Fence material, and PVC. It doesnt seem all that expensive. I just wonder how it stands up to being stepped on. Or worse, vandalism.

BrodieMan I did not know about the NuTone PVC. I will have to check that out.

I wonder if I can tack it down in the asphalt with Nails, drywall screws. I have thougt about drilling into the concrete with a masonry bit and then putting in a dowel rod, then running a screw into the dowel rod. Seems like that would hold pretty well. I have even thought about using power grab in a tube.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Snoop,
If you have not put down the asphalt yet, check out the process for laying asphalt for a tennis court. The track I race at did this and it is very smooth with carpet like traction. It has been treated with something [I wasn't around when the track openned a couple of years ago] to improve traction. Being indoors, it has held up well.

The track has a forum here on RCTECH: http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...ytown-usa.html

The race director, Casey aka mojoman on RCTECH, can give you more info if you want it.

Last edited by bencason; 06-08-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: clarification about it being an indoor track
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks I will check that out. The area I am working on is an abandoned tennis court. It is very old and I had to do a lot to get the surface smooth. It still needs more help. I dont have the budget to put down frech tarmac. Boy I wish I did. The tricky thing here is the superhard layer of concrete that is right at an inch below the surface of the tarmac. I put PVC down and tacked it with finishing nails, but they go so far and then they bend. They just dont punch into the concrete when being hammered by hand. It looks like it will hold temporarily but I am going to have to drill and put anchors down. What a PITA... I hear that it will tack down with a nail gun and hold really well. I am looking to borrow or rent one.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Take a look over on the Debbies RC World thread within the racing section of RCTech. They have recently built an asphalt track so know could give you good advice regarding your own track. Here's a pic of the track at DRCW:

Cheers, Chris.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Since I am working on a track right now I thought I might not be the only one that could use help on selecting materials and knowing what to do in certain situations. The surface I am working on is about an inch and a half deep asphalt over concrete. I am wondering what is the best material to use for the interior borders and what is the best way to anchor them down?
http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...howpage&pid=12
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Clik-Track looks awesome but it's stupid expensive.
16 x 10' square vinyl downspout = $210
16 x 10' Clik-Trak = $499!!!!

CRC Fasttrack though, worth every penny
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What about concrete, just put down a film of bondcrete (a glue) and use a mortar mix that set super hard like M-Bed. Trowel into shape and paint. Then use pipe in places to have different track configurations. Just use square pvc downpipe from your local building supplies. As for cracks and gaps in the asphalt, you can fix those by using the exact same bondcrete and m-bed, trowel smooth then use a grinding stone to finish the area level, or a terrazzo grinding machine. (25 Years as a concreter LOL), paint over with bitchumen paint or just black paint for finish,
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Do you have access to a cement mixer?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

The track I race at is asphalt on top of a concrete floor indoors. They use square plastic pipe for boards. They anchor the boards using industrial grade velcro which works pretty good. The lengths of pipe are joined by using a piece of 2x4 inside the pipe and heavy duty self-tapping screws. They are very protective of the race surface to keep it smooth.

Thanks I will check that out. The area I am working on is an abandoned tennis court. It is very old and I had to do a lot to get the surface smooth. It still needs more help. I dont have the budget to put down frech tarmac. Boy I wish I did. The tricky thing here is the superhard layer of concrete that is right at an inch below the surface of the tarmac. I put PVC down and tacked it with finishing nails, but they go so far and then they bend. They just dont punch into the concrete when being hammered by hand. It looks like it will hold temporarily but I am going to have to drill and put anchors down. What a PITA... I hear that it will tack down with a nail gun and hold really well. I am looking to borrow or rent one.