R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Newbie problem... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/51907-newbie-problem.html)

liberty 10-04-2004 04:26 AM

Newbie problem...

Hey folks.

I bought a Team Losi Street Weapon a few years ago as I was most probably bored and felt like building an R/C car. Managed to get the speed controller, motor, controller hand set etc etc. Car ran really well. Was quite fast.

Don't know any techy stuff about R/C cars, but about 2 years ago the car stopped working (can't remember why) so it went into the loft.

At the weekend I remembered it was up there due to a discussion with a friend. After fnding it in the loft I bought it down. Charged it up hoping it would work....well the wheels would turn!

There's just no forward power, nothing. Now I'm not sure whether it's the speed controller or motor. Are there any give aways? When I press the "acceleration" the speed controller lights (2 of them) one goes green and the other red. No idea what that means.

Anyway I just want to know what's knackered, speed controller or the motor? If so what should I buy? Think the motor is a Trinity GT-2 thing. (Actually says MONSTER RACING on the motor, but have GT-2 Trinity packaging for it, I THINK the motor is from THAT packaging, could be wrong!!!). The speed controller don't know the make but it's grey with purple type heatsink thing on it.

Appologise for my complete lack of knowledge and poor descriptions!

Cheers if you could help.

berger 10-04-2004 04:36 AM

It could just be a hung brush. On the endbell of the motor, just pull back the brushes by the shunts and let go so they sort of pop back into place. If all what i have said has just gone right over your head, im sure someone else will explain it better with pictures just ask.
Apart from that the speed control could need to be setup again but i dont think it sounds like that to me.

jonny69 10-04-2004 04:36 AM

For starters get a voltmeter and stick it across the motor terminal and apply throttle with everything turned on. if you get number, should go up to about 8.0 volts and the motor still does not run, then your motor needs some work. If there is no power there then try the speedo terminals and narrow down the problem by finding where the power has got to. Jonathan.

liberty 10-04-2004 04:39 AM

Cheers fellas. As I am at work I'll have to wait until I get home.

I don't think motors are expensive (about 20 quid this one) and it's 11x4 I think.

Whilst I'm here, anywhere to get good shells for the Street Weapon? Looking for a Supra/Skyline type shell or something pre painted.

Much appreciated!!!

liberty 10-04-2004 10:34 AM

Right I'm at home now. Found a volt meter around the house, not sure how they work! (dumbass) but when I touch the 2 volt meter ends to the blue and white wires which connect onto the motor I get a reading.

Also if I touch the volt meter prongs onto any part of the motor it makes the steering move, like it's creating a current which is some how twitching the steering.

No forward momentum when I'm pressing the control!

Could someone tell a newbie like me how to figure out what is wrong, I have MSN: olie_smith at hotmail.com

Cheers if anyone can help me!

liberty 10-04-2004 10:38 AM

Come on you kind, kind people! There's enough of you tech heads viewing!:p :p

jonny69 10-04-2004 10:47 AM

firstly, do you have the voltmeter set to Volts, if so then the motor is your problem, take the brushes out and have a look at the condition of the comm and the brushed, got any pics?? Jonathan

liberty 10-04-2004 10:50 AM

Do you have MSN so we can chat real-time? Cheers

jonny69 10-04-2004 10:53 AM

PM sent.