R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #121
Tech Regular

I would allow any F1 car (except the F1 shaped pan cars). Unless all of the drivers at your club are world class, it won't make a difference.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #122
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

After some of the UF1 rounds last year, we put GT bodies on our F1's for 30 min endurance races.

There was a mandatory 3 min pitstop at the 15min point.
You could do whatever you wanted to the car during that time, but after 3 mins, the race started, with, or without you

That was a lot of fun.

One round we let all cars enter, turns out a 12th scale 17.5 is quite the endurance car

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #123
Tech Elite

What Li-Po batteries is everyone running in the pro?

This will be my first F1 car and I'm really looking foreward to getting it. Could someone throw me a starting set-up for a smooth asphalt run .... Leisure Hours, Joliet, IL.
I would so appreciate your help

BM
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
What are the F1 rules there? How many racers are they getting in the winter? Mark R. told me you guys get close to 10 cars even now. Carpet racing is dead here in the summer time so I'm shocked to hear that many are still showing up.
Haven't seen a definitive set of rules, but I can tell you that they are running both silvercan and 21.5 together and they are pretty even, everyone is running 2s lipos.
They are also running both 103's and 104's together which is also pretty even.
The last time I ran over there on a Sunday, we had 9 or 10 and there were 3 or 4 more that run but werent there that day.
When do you see this F1 class running for the first time?
Dish and I would like to come down and run on the outdoor track, and we can probably scare up 2-3 more to come down on the same day
BP SHADOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
lol ... now that would be frantic in the pits.....
Not really. We tried this with 14 cars on the grid. Some will pit at the 14min mark, some at the 20 min, etc. Strategy is involved.

Drivers had to go down driver stand, pick up their car, change battery, then go back up stand and drive.

We also ran a "no lapping rule". You need to overtake the cars in front, no screaming of "lapping."

Btw, we were running F103, so pitstops were easier.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #126
Tech Apprentice

My 2 cents:

Don't worry too much about hammering out specific rules just yet.
Get racers out with F1's (I plan to be there Saturday with mine)
Race what you have, then make the motor rules for the weeks following.
I'll bring rubber and foam to test.
What time do they get started? Are the mod TC 10th guys running rubber or foam?

DISH
DISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #127
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Info on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISH View Post
My 2 cents:

Don't worry too much about hammering out specific rules just yet.
Get racers out with F1's (I plan to be there Saturday with mine)
Race what you have, then make the motor rules for the weeks following.
I'll bring rubber and foam to test.
What time do they get started? Are the mod TC 10th guys running rubber or foam?

DISH
Unless something has changed the next Electric/Saturday race is not until June 18. There has not been one scheduled for the 11th ("prior commitments" I heard) and now with the problems with the track sealer, Saturday the 11th is to be a test the track out day if it looks ok by then. Gas racing Sunbday.(Info from VP WCK).

I believe the TC's are all running rubber.

I was going to bring my F109 but it's not allowed and probably not realistic enough for these "purists" lol

Good Luck Racing, Hope to meet up with you June 18, I have VTA, 17.5 TC (could go mild mod). I you can, let me know what the largest class will/might be.

Ned (Southern Most Member, One-Eight Racers.............
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #128
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I'll read some of the back posts to catch-up. Have not been on Tech for a while.
DISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Catching Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISH View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll read some of the back posts to catch-up. Have not been on Tech for a while.
Most of this stuff comes from Lon and Bill not Tech. Hard to find out what's up with out a direct connection!!/ ;-)

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #130
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Here's a different take on trying to manage drastically different chassis capabilities. What we offer locally (not necessarily for F1) is a run-what-you-brung class. It doesn't matter what chassis, tire, body, ESC, motor, boost/no boost, etc. There is nothing to tech. We set up RC scoring pro with a minimum lap time (determined by the slowest type of car or skill level of the racers). Anything faster than that lap time doesn't get counted by the computer. This helps boost car counts, and keeps people with less capable equipment racing instead of quitting. And it is cost controlling, since having all the latest hop ups doesn't matter.

What this does is put the emphasis back on racing and running consistent lap times, and it makes for closer racing because the speeds are necessarily equivalent. Sure, some people have to turn down the throttle EPA so they don't break out, but it eliminates most of the BS because the cars themselves really don't matter. Have the best driver run the slowest, worst out of the box car, and set the minimum lap time accordingly. This allows guys that own a less capable chassis to instantly be competitive with the big dollar rigs. It's helpful when you are trying to get a class started when some people already own dated equipment.
This actually got me thinking about drag racing namely the dial your own brackets like Competition Eliminator and the index brackets like Super Gas. In SG, you can run pretty much what you like in the terms of chassis, engine and modifications, but you are restricted to a class index of 9.9 seconds, go faster than 9.9 sec and you loose the race, pretty simple. The same for Comp Eliminator, each driver nominates the time he is going to run for that pass, he goes faster than that, he looses.

Bring this into an RC environment and all of a sudden it does not matter if Mr X wants to run a 1 turn motor with 200C lipo and Mr Y has an out of the box RTR with no additions, the playing field is leveled because everyone is driving to either a class index or a dial your own index, go faster than your index and the lap does not count.

Great idea for when you have a limited number of drivers and disproportionate cars, who would like to race together. He who is most consistent wins the points.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #131
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Unless something has changed the next Electric/Saturday race is not until June 18. There has not been one scheduled for the 11th ("prior commitments" I heard) and now with the problems with the track sealer, Saturday the 11th is to be a test the track out day if it looks ok by then. Gas racing Sunbday.(Info from VP WCK).

I believe the TC's are all running rubber.

I was going to bring my F109 but it's not allowed and probably not realistic enough for these "purists" lol

Good Luck Racing, Hope to meet up with you June 18, I have VTA, 17.5 TC (could go mild mod). I you can, let me know what the largest class will/might be.

Ned (Southern Most Member, One-Eight Racers.............
Knock it off Ned. I know your feelings are hurt about your Ned (4wd F1) car not being legal to run this winter on carpet but these guys are talking about running on sat at the outdoor track which I have zero say over since I don't race direct or even race on saturday. However if there are guys coming to race a F1 car on saturdays I will be making a order now for a car instead of waiting for the X1 to come out.

I'm pretty excited about these F1 cars and if guys wanna run this summer count me in! Should we start a new thread for the outdoor rules? lol

As far as the track goes it will be fine. I was out there today checking it out.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #132
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
Not really. We tried this with 14 cars on the grid. Some will pit at the 14min mark, some at the 20 min, etc. Strategy is involved.

Drivers had to go down driver stand, pick up their car, change battery, then go back up stand and drive.

We also ran a "no lapping rule". You need to overtake the cars in front, no screaming of "lapping."

Btw, we were running F103, so pitstops were easier.

Night racing!!! Thats looks very cool!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #133
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
What Li-Po batteries is everyone running in the pro?

This will be my first F1 car and I'm really looking foreward to getting it. Could someone throw me a starting set-up for a smooth asphalt run .... Leisure Hours, Joliet, IL.
I would so appreciate your help

BM
I have no clue but someone posted some batteries that would fit back 4 or 5 pages in this thread.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #134
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP SHADOW View Post
Haven't seen a definitive set of rules, but I can tell you that they are running both silvercan and 21.5 together and they are pretty even, everyone is running 2s lipos.
They are also running both 103's and 104's together which is also pretty even.
The last time I ran over there on a Sunday, we had 9 or 10 and there were 3 or 4 more that run but werent there that day.
When do you see this F1 class running for the first time?
Dish and I would like to come down and run on the outdoor track, and we can probably scare up 2-3 more to come down on the same day
The plan is to get this class we are discussing in this thread going in the fall for indoor carpet but by all means we can get something going this summer on the outdoor track also. Russ Lazerguy said he has guys who raced at his track that have F1 cars also. I'm sure he could put in a few calls and get them guys fired back up.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #135
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.
Thats what I thought also when I read that. I was thinking pick your own dial in but then the fastest car still gets the most laps in a given time assuming he hits his dial in every lap.Then I also thought the best thing to do would build a car that only goes like 7mph and you can just hold it wide open the whole time and run a good line since its so slow and win since most other cars would have a hard time lapping that slowly.