R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
Dasmopar,

I would just follow or mimic the UF1 series classes; and tailor the race format to fit whatever your area likes/runs. The UF1 series seems pretty straight forward and fair to me.
Thats basicaly our plan so far. We are just making some tweaks.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
If you guys in your area think that a very spec limited class will work, don't worry about what people who may never race with you will say. If you have 6 guys who are going to go out and buy cars and race them as a sure thing, just do it. That's a decent sized class. Once other guys see it, it will get bigger. I have a bit of experience with this.

And stick to your guns once you finish the rules. There will be a lot of crying from a small amount of people, but the majority will thank you in the end.
I agree. Once we start racing other guys will join in. Heck we saw your guys cars and thought hey I want one of those!

The one problem is I'm the biggest cry baby in the group. lol
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
I have not run the HPI either and have only run my F109 with the stock foams and 13.5/single cell but it ran well. It is nice to be able to buy something because you know it is competitive out of the box. I'm just against requiring it! I like to be different, and anyone who has followed F1 since Jim Clark and Dan Gurney, like I have, reallizes that the essence of F1 is the unique nature of the cars. It's being "Spec-ized" by Bernie and the rest like all other forms of racing but if ya wanna race IROC go ahead..oh yeah that's been replaced by NASCAR, INDYCAR, etc! LOL

(Actually I'm just jealous! Tried to get F1 going here locally (SC) at least twice in the last 5 years...)

Good Racing!
Ned

Your experience, and knowledge of R/C car racing is priceless and I look forward to reading your thoughts on what we are doing. I know it may look like I'm just disagreeing with you out of spite but I'm not. I'm listening with both ears. I felt the sprint car class was fun when we all had the same motors, chassis, battery, and tires. It stopped being as much fun when guys started making their cars faster. When I first got my Losi Slider it might have took you three laps to make a pass on a guy who is 5 spots slower than you. One lap to set em up, another lap running side by side with them, and the third lap to finally get back into the fast line infront of them. The winner everytime was the guy who delt with traffic the best. My goal is to make this F1 class like that but on a road course instead of a oval. You can call is spec racing and I will not disagree with you but it looks like the right package for such a class.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #64
Tech Fanatic

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
Your experience, and knowledge of R/C car racing is priceless and I look forward to reading your thoughts on what we are doing. I know it may look like I'm just disagreeing with you out of spite but I'm not. I'm listening with both ears. I felt the sprint car class was fun when we all had the same motors, chassis, battery, and tires. It stopped being as much fun when guys started making their cars faster. When I first got my Losi Slider it might have took you three laps to make a pass on a guy who is 5 spots slower than you. One lap to set em up, another lap running side by side with them, and the third lap to finally get back into the fast line infront of them. The winner everytime was the guy who delt with traffic the best. My goal is to make this F1 class like that but on a road course instead of a oval. You can call is spec racing and I will not disagree with you but it looks like the right package for such a class.
Thanks for the kind words (I keep telling your Dad I think your a nice guy!)
But I think I've said enough, good luck!

Originally Posted by robk
If you guys in your area think that a very spec limited class will work, don't worry about what people who may never race with you will say

What? That doesn't make any sense. If you didn't want outside input, why would you post on RCTECH???? What a great attitude, ask questions, but do whatever you were going to do in the beginning! Sounds like the government to me! ; )

out
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lon ....I think your thread for a new class is going very well.
This could go big time if you wanted it to.

Why cant you have as many as 4 class's of F1's ????

Spec 2wd
Open 2wd
Spec 4wd
Open 4wd
This would let guys run 2 F1's.
That would get you the most people with F1's on the track, now.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 10-02-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Guy View Post

Spec 2wd
Open 2wd
Spec 4wd
Open 4wd

Everybody would be happy
Nobody has to change anything on the cars they already have.

The guys with the anniversary edition high $$$$ cars don't want to race them with you low $ guys anyway
They don't want you guys crashing into them with your junk running spec F1's

PS
I WANT TO RACE MY CAR's soon !!!!!
The only problem with all of those classes is....
We have that problem right now; too many wide spread class makes for poor racing. We want good racing, not a bunch of classes just for the sake of having classes.

Right now the way it is setup class wise at our local track we can have 2-3 of everything known to man race on road course. So what you end up with is 5-6 guys running 3-5 cars in classes with 2-3 people. (LAME)

Now the VTA turn outs are ok but that class is so wide spread with non VTA rules anyone that comes from out of town to run VTA and see's how that class is setup is going to be turned off. so the class never really grew and for the most part is a dead class.

I have been out of racing for to long to know all the proper classes and rules. Though when I have seen the BEST turn outs is when a track follows roar style rules the best they can. it allows out of town people to show up and run a known class. Examples in the past would have been 1/12 stock, 1/12 mod, World GT, Rubber tire or foam tire stock and mod sedan. All classes that used to be the classes for roar. I am sure those classes are still ran today and are just under the 21.5(stock) and Open(mod) classes.

The classes I have seen to the worst or fail is when you end up with a OPEN class. Now this doesnít happen right away. but it will die off because there are no rules and people do end up doing a money chase with cars and parts and if they dont the guy that is doing that kills there interest.

Anyways the one other reason to having a more locked down rules and no other classes is to protect the interest of the majority of the people making the investment into getting the class going locally. To help the track and hobby store that will help us get the class going locally.

Itís easy for the track to keep a few spare parts on hand for the same cars then keeping parts on hand for every F1 car made or that has been made.

Itís a far cheaper investment for 1-2 guys with old odd ball cars to update to the class rules then have 2-3-4 classes of people running older cars with different rules.

We would like people interested in running this class to run this class not to create many other side classes. And have a bunch of 1z-2z people running.

Itís also far more fun to see maybe 10-15 people show up to race the same class.

Organization under a common set of rules will be far more rewarding.

We all get a lot more out of racing 1 class then making classes just to race, and classes to let everyone be the winner of there own class.

sorry for the rant
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Originally Posted by robk
If you guys in your area think that a very spec limited class will work, don't worry about what people who may never race with you will say

What? That doesn't make any sense. If you didn't want outside input, why would you post on RCTECH???? What a great attitude, ask questions, but do whatever you were going to do in the beginning! Sounds like the government to me! ; )

out
A lot of people on rctech seem to put there 2 cents in without regard for what may be best for these guys locally. Lon saw my car at Leisure Hours, and asked me about it. You may not know, but I also run the USVTA, we make the rules for Trans Am. I have heard all kinds of advice and rants running that, but the #1 thing I learned was once you have made an informed decision, stick to it. A vast majority of the complaining comes from a small minority.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
...but the #1 thing I learned was once you have made an informed decision, stick to it. A vast majority of the complaining comes from a small minority.
+1
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #70
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
You can call is spec racing and I will not disagree with you but it looks like the right package for such a class.
Dasmopar,

How's this sound to you:

Chassis: F104/F104 Pro
Motor/ESC: Same one they use in VTA (Novak, I think) or Speed Passion citrix with 21.5 (not too expensive last I checked)
Bodies/Wings: Tamiya F60 or Mclaren
Tires: Rubber
Battery: 2s lipo
Width: 180mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
Anyways the one other reason to having a more locked down rules and no other classes is to protect the interest of the majority of the people making the investment into getting the class going locally. To help the track and hobby store that will help us get the class going locally.

It’s easy for the track to keep a few spare parts on hand for the same cars then keeping parts on hand for every F1 car made or that has been made.

It’s a far cheaper investment for 1-2 guys with old odd ball cars to update to the class rules then have 2-3-4 classes of people running older cars with different rules.

We would like people interested in running this class to run this class not to create many other side classes. And have a bunch of 1z-2z people running.

It’s also far more fun to see maybe 10-15 people show up to race the same class.

Organization under a common set of rules will be far more rewarding.

We all get a lot more out of racing 1 class then making classes just to race, and classes to let everyone be the winner of there own class.
+1 well said...
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Quote:
The issue again is what people see. Once they see a car with a bunch of money in it win they figure thats what it takes to win and they go back to playing PS3.
That is true ... I think the opposite is also true though.
At my local track, avery good driver started racing again but was concerned his old TC3 was dated and would not be fast enough but wanted to race again all the same. He ran an old stock motor and none Li-Po's. He won the Amain and di do all season.
We had more people join the club that year because they new they did not need to pay several hundred dollars to be competative.

Was just the opposite effect to what you described.
Just shows also what others have said....its 80% the driver and 20% car .....
Although you try being competative with square wheels or only two round ones hahaha

Just my thoughts
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #72
Tech Regular

Quote:

Spec 2wd
Open 2wd
Spec 4wd
Open 4wd

Everybody would be happy
Nobody has to change anything on the cars they already have.

The guys with the anniversary edition high $$$$ cars don't want to race them with you low $ guys anyway
They don't want you guys crashing into them with your junk running spec F1's

PS
I WANT TO RACE MY CAR's soon !!!!!
I agree with jeff. Spreading the racers out into mulitiple classes is good for racers who want to win a 3 car class but bad for racing as a whole. Lets get everyone with any talent in one class and see who comes out on top. yo
www.ToledoOneEighthRacers.com
Serpent Natrix 748, Revenge .12, Desoto Racing, Futaba
JJBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #73
Regional Moderator

Here's a different take on trying to manage drastically different chassis capabilities. What we offer locally (not necessarily for F1) is a run-what-you-brung class. It doesn't matter what chassis, tire, body, ESC, motor, boost/no boost, etc. There is nothing to tech. We set up RC scoring pro with a minimum lap time (determined by the slowest type of car or skill level of the racers). Anything faster than that lap time doesn't get counted by the computer. This helps boost car counts, and keeps people with less capable equipment racing instead of quitting. And it is cost controlling, since having all the latest hop ups doesn't matter.

What this does is put the emphasis back on racing and running consistent lap times, and it makes for closer racing because the speeds are necessarily equivalent. Sure, some people have to turn down the throttle EPA so they don't break out, but it eliminates most of the BS because the cars themselves really don't matter. Have the best driver run the slowest, worst out of the box car, and set the minimum lap time accordingly. This allows guys that own a less capable chassis to instantly be competitive with the big dollar rigs. It's helpful when you are trying to get a class started when some people already own dated equipment.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should stay on track with what chassis, motor, tires and ESC's to use for your spec F1 class that you already say you have 6 or 10 guys ready to run.

Last edited by Lazer Guy; 10-02-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Lazer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #75
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't get it

Why are so many of you guys so worried about what 2 or 3 other guys are doing ???
Why do you guys care so much about what somebody else may or may not think ???
What gives you the right to tell someone they cant run the version of the F1 car they want to run as long as it's not in the wrong class.

This thread is more about discouraging F1 racing or even on road as a whole then it is about starting it !!!!

Them 3 guys you see may be having fun playing with there toy cars and could care less about what you guy are doing with your spec version, I don't see how that can be bad for RC racing as a whole !!!!
It's there $$ not yours !!!
Them 3 guys may be hoping more people will see them having fun and want to race with them and not you !!! They could care less if they win or not.

It would be stupid to tell a new person getting into RC to start with an F1 car.

This is the first negative post I have EVER made

You should stay on track with what chassis, motor, tires and ESC's to use for your spec F1 class that you already say you have 6 or 10 guys ready to run.

You say you have the same problem in 3 other class's, Maybe it's you, not them.

I'm putting my F1 back in the box and up on the shelf where it was It's not welcome at your track

Sorry for the rant.
And no I dont feel better now that I've made a fool of myself.....again
I don't see your post as so negative.
It is just "YOUR" opinion, like many others here

fyi
One of my 1st On-Road cars was in fact a Tamiya F189 Ferrari
Started with 12th scale.

Don't regret any of it, would do it exactly the same if I had to do it again.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote